PDA

View Full Version : Help find a jointer knife sharpening service

Nathan Camp
08-27-2006, 6:32 PM
I finally got around to pulling my dull jointer knifes. I thought, hey I can sharpen these puppies.

Well... :eek:, can anyone recommend a service that will sharpen these for me? One has a small nick and the others are just dull. Looks like these blades have never been sharpened before.

BTW, the are from a 6" Delta 37-280.

Thanks,
Nathan

Bart Leetch
08-27-2006, 8:07 PM
Go to your local lumber yard where most of the contractors & cabinet shops in your area do business or call a couple of cabinet shops & ask where they get their jointer & planer blades sharpened.

Troy Wilkins
08-27-2006, 9:53 PM
I know it seems wasteful to throw away your old knives, but I have found that I can buy new ones cheaper. It will cost somewhere around $1/inch to have knives sharpened and unless you find someone local you will have shipping both directions. I have a set of the T1 HSS knives from Global Tooling http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html
in my planer and jointer and have found them to be very good. For a 6" jointer you should get a set for around $17.
Besides, you don't have to throw the old knives away, grind them to shape and they make good blades for marking knives.

Bruce Wrenn
08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Jointer knives are almost a disposable item, but not quite. I would first buy a replacement set and then have current ones sharpened. Dynamic Saw ( dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo NY charges $0.50 per inch, or $9.00 for a set of three six inch knives. By having an extra set, you don't have downtime while waiting for sharpenig. Ship then by priority mail with a confirmation of delivery. Due to low cost, I don't think I would buy insurance though.

Nathan Camp
08-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I've got a new set on order and will ship the old ones out.

Nathan

Bill Nance
08-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Hi folks. I'm a long-time lurker, but haven't posted before. The comments above are helpful and Bruce makes a particularly good point. Another source for reasonable priced sharpening is Scott Whiting, Scott's Sharpening Service, in Arizona, 800-594-7262.

Some time back, just as I was planning on sending my only set of jointer knives out to Scott, someone else pointed me to Global Tooling. When I talked w/ Scott, he commented on Global's incredible pricing that makes shipping him a single set for sharpening not much of a deal. So I bought two new sets for my 6" Delta instead. Now when I have two dull sets, I can ship both out for sharpening and still have one good set for using, no down time, at a savings over buying new.

Take care.

Bill.

Don Baer
08-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Bill,
Welcome to the creek. Have heard a lot of good stuff about Scott and look forward to usingt him in the future. He is also amember her at SMC.