PDA

View Full Version : Jet Supersaw Question

Gail O'Rourke
08-27-2006, 6:24 PM
Hi,

I have a Jet Supersaw...and today just found out that others have the same problem with their timing belt - If you do, I would love to know if there are replacement parts or procedures...have already emailed Jet for more info.

Also - need to put it on a mobile base - other than the one WHM offers, do you have yours on anything different?

Thanks for your input.

Ellen Benkin
08-27-2006, 7:02 PM
I don't know what you mean by the timing belt. I had a problem with the belt that raised and lowered my blade. It got so gunked up with sawdust that it was severed! The bolts to get to it were on so tight that I couldn't loosen them, so I called Jet for help and they sent someone out to replace the belt -- and I'm pretty sure it was out of warrantee. The repair guy also had problems with the overtighted bolts, but I figured if he broke them it was their problem not mine. I have a friend who works for Woodcraft and he says this belt problem is a common problem. Now that I'm more aware of it I take care to keep it clean, but I think it's very bad design that caused the problem to begin with.

I have mine on a Rockler base made from hardwood and their wheels. It is the type with the big front wheel and you step on a plate to raise it in order to move it. Both Delta and Harbor Freight sell similar setups. I'm surprised at how well this works, given the weight of the saw. However, I rarely move it so I can't say that it would work well if I had to use it a lot. In the two years I've had the saw I've probably only moved it twice in order to clean out the garage.

BTW, I do like the Supersaw. It has some flaws but, overall, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Jim DeLaney
08-27-2006, 7:05 PM
Gail,
Can't help with the timing belt issue.

As for the mobile base - I really like the Shop Fox mobile bases.

I have several of them, and find them sturdy, stable, and (relatively) easy to move. I have one on my cabinet saw, with the extension that catches the outer legs of the table extension. Between the saw, the extension table, and the melamine cabinet built under the extension table, I'm guessing it's around 600 pounds. Other than having a very wide turning radius - since it's nearly seven feet long - it's fairly easy to move around.

Grizzly sells them. So do several others - Amazon, Hartville Hardware, etc. Somewhere around $70 plus shipping...

Gail O'Rourke
08-27-2006, 7:52 PM
thanks to both, I will check out those bases...Ellen, that is exactly what I am talking about - I broke the assembly the first time I changed the belt because it was so tight and I had to order another one. The belt keeps slipping and I am afraid to try to replace it again. So perhaps they will send someone out to take care of mine - I am also out of warranty. Other than that I am pleased with the saw.

Thanks fo the info.

Mike Cutler
08-27-2006, 8:00 PM
Gail.

Can't help with the saw, but I have the ShopFox mobile bases on my Tablesaw and my bandsaw, Very nice stable units. They have 4 wheels, not three like the Jet.

I got mine at Woodcraft in Warwick. I need to get another one for my router table, come to think of it.

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 8:11 PM
Gail, not sure about which Jet mobile base you are talking about however, I use the Jet one rated at 600. lbs that I bought on Amazon for 39.99. It requires no tools for assembly, it's a snap ... literally and fully adjustable. I have my Delta contractors table on it and it works great. Nice heavy construction.

Corey

Gail O'Rourke
08-28-2006, 8:35 AM
For those with issues with the timing belt - I just received an email from Jet -

Thanks for your e-mail. We have made adjustments to this machine. If you will please provide the serial number I will be glad to send you the parts you need.

Good to know.

Ellen Benkin
08-29-2006, 8:30 PM
I wonder what they did to fix the belt problem. I'll look at a new one the next time I'm in Rockler or Woodcraft. I'm glad they are sending you parts, but it's too bad you don't get a technician to come along with them. Let us know how it goes and what base you finally choose.

George Robin
08-30-2006, 7:37 AM
I have a shopfox mobile base on an old unisaw here at work. It works well, however it is not the quickest to "lock" in place (it has 2 screws, and me being a clutz....I'm forver hitting the back of my head on the front rail of the rip fence). For easier lockability....I would suggest getting some good quality locking casters for the front of the base and use these locks instead of the supplied screws.

As far as belt problems. Have any of you tred link belts? I use these on almost all of my tools and, even though I don't have your saw, I've nver had problems with that type of belt on mine.

Hth
George

Dave Carey
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
Gail,
I bought the super saw shortly after they came out. Less than a year later the belt split. They instantly sent me a new one but neglected to tell me that the set screws (that take an allen wrench the size of a hair pin) were put on with locktite at the factory. They promised to send me a replacement mechanism, but there were delays after delays getting the spindle and gear (probably not the right terms but you'll recognize the parts) from Taiwan. They sent me an upgraded miter gauge for my patience (the blade was stuck about an inch above the table so I could still do some work, and I'm a hobbiest so it wasn't costing me revenue.) Finally a customer service guy who was as frustrated as I was offered to send me a NEW SAW! For the lack of a $20 part they sent me a new $1000 saw (I'm rounding a bit.) The new saw has the new fix that Jet told you about. Whatever the fix is, it works. I've used it for three plus years without a problem. Biggest challenge was wrestling the old saw out of my basement. Bottom line: I'm a Jet enthusiast especially regarding their customer service - it may take them a while but they'll get there. Oh yeah, I use a HTC mobile base I bought on Amazon; no problems with it.

Terre Hooks
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
For those with issues with the timing belt - I just received an email from Jet -

Thanks for your e-mail. We have made adjustments to this machine. If you will please provide the serial number I will be glad to send you the parts you need.

Good to know.

Sounds like WMH Tool is supplying some great customer service. Taking the correct steps in contacting them yields satisfactory results, IME.

Ron Blaise
08-30-2006, 1:08 PM
Hi Gail:
Not knowing how your saw is put together I have to ask if there is a way to replace the pulleys and belt with sprockets and a chain? Just a thought. :confused:

Terre Hooks
08-30-2006, 3:08 PM
Hi Gail:
Not knowing how your saw is put together I have to ask if there is a way to replace the pulleys and belt with sprockets and a chain? Just a thought. :confused:

No.

The stoopit warning said I had to lengthen my message to 10 characters. SO I did.

Gail O'Rourke
08-30-2006, 4:51 PM
HI, interestingly enough, I found out that all they are sending me is a new belt - but somehow it's new and improved? Works with the current stuff? I am not sure - we will see.

Haven't gotten it in the mail yet and haven't had a chance to get the saw on a base - kids just went back to school today. I expect more shop time now.

Will let you know. Thanks.

Ellen Benkin
08-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Call them on the phone and keep moving up the ladder to a supervisor who can make decisions and try to get them to send a repair person to install the belt and fix anything broken in the process. The person who fixed mine was from a tool repair place in Los Angeles which obviously contracts with Jet to do on-site repairs. I didn't pay anything for the service -- which was caused by their admittedly bad design -- and I'd call them again if I had another problem. Tell them you know of at least two other people who experienced the same problem and that you are NOT HAPPY about it.

Scott Donley
08-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Gail, last year when I was looking for a TS, I stopped in at the local Jet surplus and repair center. The owner was working on a SS at the time. He said a lot of people were having the same problem as you and he had made a "work around" to fix the problem permanently. If what Jet sends you does not work let me know and I can give you his number. May be able to help ? Good luck.

Frank Howell
08-31-2006, 6:23 PM
Hey Gail,
I just bought my SS last Jan. I did a lot of homework and have heard about this problem before. It can be a RPITA to change the belt and often the screws do get stripped. I'm with Ellen here, have them send out a repair rep to do the work. As far as I'm concerned, it's their problem to begin with.

Mine, I'm told, already has the "Fix", however I can feel and hear the teeth of the belt popping in and out of the gears as I raise and lower the blade. I'm figureing it's just a matter of time before mine goes too. Pretty stupid design if you ask me. Other than that, I love my SS and use it all the time.

I also have the Rockler moble base. I set mine up with the fixed wheels on the right and the steerable wheel to the left, that way it's not underfoot when running the saw.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h187/Ice-Pirate/Woodworking/Shop%20pics/IMG_2605.jpg

I've added a Rockler RT to the right side and will also build a jig and router gear box to mount under the right side as well. Then I'll put on a folding outfeed table.