PDA

View Full Version : Comp. Q - Can I delete these??

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 11:38 AM
In my PROGRAMS (install/uninstall in Control Panel ) there are a bunch of "Windows XP Hotfix" programs in it. Do I have to leave these in it or can I delete them? :confused:

Joe

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2003, 12:07 PM
In my PROGRAMS (install/uninstall in Control Panel ) there are a bunch of "Windows XP Hotfix" programs in it. Do I have to leave these in it or can I delete them? :confused:

Joe
These are the updates you have downloaded from the Microsoft website. Microsoft designed the updates so they can be uninstalled. I would leave them alone IMHO.

John Miliunas
10-06-2003, 1:04 PM
These are the updates you have downloaded from the Microsoft website. Microsoft designed the updates so they can be uninstalled. I would leave them alone IMHO.

As Charles notes, leave the alone. Well, let me qualify that statement: If after downloading/installing the updates, all is still running fine on your system, leave them alone. The purpose of the "uninstall" option is, just in case an update breaks something, you can pull it back out. This is not nearly as common as it once was, but still happens from time to time, depending on the specific hardware and/or specific applications on the machine. The updates are otherwise pretty important, though the only ones a person *really* needs to pay attention to are the "critical updates", which provide security patches, as well as some functionality fixes or enhancements. :cool:

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 1:24 PM
Thanks! Glad I asked first. :) It's just that they are building up a lot. Figured I'd be saving space on the Comp. if I deleted them.

Thanks again,

Joe

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2003, 2:07 PM
Thanks! Glad I asked first. :) It's just that they are building up a lot. Figured I'd be saving space on the Comp. if I deleted them.

Thanks again,

Joe
Have you installed Service Pack 1 for Win XP yet? If not then some of these updates will disappear, after the update, in the Install/Uninstall Programs window.

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 3:51 PM
Have you installed Service Pack 1 for Win XP yet? If not then some of these updates will disappear, after the update, in the Install/Uninstall Programs window.

I think it was installed already when I bought the Tower earlier this year. It came up when I went to "Find" and typed in SP1.

Thanks,

Joe

Chuck Wintle
10-06-2003, 4:35 PM
I think it was installed already when I bought the Tower earlier this year. It came up when I went to "Find" and typed in SP1.

Thanks,

Joe
or you can go to Start..Settings..Control panel..System
It should say something like

System
Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 1

Joe Tonich
10-06-2003, 9:56 PM
or you can go to Start..Settings..Control panel..System
It should say something like

System
Microsoft Windows XP
Service Pack 1

Yep, it's there. Thanks. That sure was a lot easier than the way I did it. :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Joe

David Klug
10-06-2003, 11:06 PM
I have windows ME and I have 17 critical updates to put in it according to MS, but when I try to unstall them they won't install. Am I doing something wrong?

Dave

John Miliunas
10-06-2003, 11:42 PM
Sorry, Dave. Of all the MS operating systems, ME is the one I've most rarely worked on. (Mainly by choice.) However, you may find some answers at this link: http://home.att.net/~aubreyb/msme.htm
There are also other links within that site and you may stumble across something of significance to your issues. Good luck! :cool:

Lee Schierer
10-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Your down load is actually working. It just doesn't tell you that it completed the first one.

I just kept doing the down load and update thing. After about 2 tries, it downloaded and installed everything. There is one that has to be installed separately. De-select everything but it and try downloading and installing it alone. Then completely shut down your computer and do a cold boot. Go back and get the rest of the downloads, it should work.