PDA

View Full Version : Might as well start with my prized posession.

Mark Marzluf
08-27-2006, 3:36 PM
Well, since I just registered and many here may have never seen my baby, I thought I would start by sharing..

Earlier this summer, I was lucky enough to be the first person to reply to an add in the paper for a 12" jointer that was for sale. The seller wasn't sure what kind it was, but said it came out of an old school down his way. Turns out it was a J.A. Fay and Egan Co. 12" jointer with a 3HP single stage Century motor that sits on it's own seperate legs. The price was right at $400 so I talked Brad Knoble into helping me collect my prize. (BTW, Brad LOVES to help lift heavy objects for beer, so please give him a call if you're in need;))

Here it is just as I found it sitting in the sellers late fathers garage.. So many coats of paint on it, you could hardly make out the name on the front. The motor wasn't attached and I had no idea if it even ran or not. The head turned freely and everything was there so I bought it..

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/9102838/181909140.jpg

Within a couple days of bringing it home, I began the process of giving it a new life in my shop. Lots of paint to strip off, pieces to media blast, and new paint to apply..

After a week or so I finally had a new 'old arn' aircraft carrier in my shop.

I kept everything original. The only thing that I needed to replace was the leather link belt that ties the motor to the head (and some of the electrical of course) I kept the motor configuration the same and just ordered a new belt.

Here she is right after the restore before I had decided on a permanent home for it. At this stage it was still waiting on the new electrics.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/1396915/156425190.jpg

Here's a shot of the motor and how it sits behind the jointer on it's own legs. This was the first motor rebuild I had done, but it went pretty smoothly. Still have 2 extra cans of winding varnish that I'll probably never use though..

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/1396915/156425209.jpg

And here's one of it in it's final home.. Here she sits and here she stays. No mobile base for this one.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/9102838/161362723.jpg

And......... one final pic. This is the new belt I ordered. Came in a little long so I had to cut and splice it before it would work but it's working wonderfully now. Kind of hard to go back to straight knives now though after having a Byrd head equiped jointer for so long. I've gotten used to it now though.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL96/791874/9102838/165865938.jpg

Thanks for taking a look...
Mark

Jeff Horton
08-27-2006, 3:47 PM
You still showing that thing off? ;) I think you should load that ugly thing up and get rid of it. I know a place in Alabama that takes in old iron and probably take it off you hands. Just let me know when you need it out and I will see what I can do.

A 12" jointer is rare.... heck unheard of in my neck of the woods. I got excited when I found a 6" Broadhead Garret within a days (round trip) drive. I am still hoping to find a 10" or larger to restore some day. That and a large bandsaw are all thats on my old arn want list at the moment. Neither it a need as much as wanted.

And I must add, that I love the colors you chose, followed your resto on Woodnet. Oh yea, and welcome to the creek. You will find the creek is .... well..... different than Woodnet. :D I will leave it that.

Jim Becker
08-27-2006, 3:59 PM
Very nice restoration of a wonderful machine!!

Roy Wall
08-27-2006, 4:11 PM
Mark -

Beautiful machine!! Great job....the colors are excellent - ENJOY!

Vaughn McMillan
08-27-2006, 4:14 PM
Excellent resto job, Mark. I like the leather link between the motor and the head. I've never seen such a thing.

Not only does it look like a sweet jointer, but you could also easily seat a family of 10 for dinner at it, too. ;) :p

Welcome to the Creek, and looking forward to seeing more pics of your work and your toys.

- Vaughn

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 4:15 PM
Wow that is a machine and a half! Nice resto!

Corey

Al Willits
08-27-2006, 4:26 PM
I think you could seat a family of ten and still use it on wood....hugemonous ain't it? :D

I"m betting your happy you don't have to use it in a basement shop with no walk in door...stairs would be interesting with that thing.

Very nice restore.

Al

Brad Noble
08-27-2006, 4:40 PM
>>so I talked Brad Knoble into helping me collect my prize.<<

Uh, Mark, that would be Brad Noble, not Knoble. And yes, I have been known to lift for beer but as I get older I can't lift near as much but thats OK, I can't drink much either.

Brad

lou sansone
08-27-2006, 4:54 PM
nice machine.. made my day, but then again I do have a fondness for old iron. got any other prospects for the shop?
lou

David Durgy
08-27-2006, 4:59 PM
The bed looks a tad off, +/- .012 to the naked eye. Any plans for resolving that? ;)

Good luck tomorrow!:D

Mark Marzluf
08-27-2006, 5:06 PM
Oops........ Typo. Sorry.

Course....... It could have been worse I guess.

Roger Everett
08-27-2006, 5:41 PM
Mark:

That is a serious piece of machinery. Great koo on finding it, and a beautiful job of restoring.
Roger

Steve Wargo
08-27-2006, 8:19 PM
Excellent restoration. Man is that sweet. I see a good number of old Fay & Eagans up here in Cleveland as well. Don't think I'll foget about the "will work for beer" thing Brad. Hope to see more resto's in the future.

Alan DuBoff
08-27-2006, 8:40 PM
I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing Mark's jointer, it's such a sweet piece of machinery. I lust over having a 12"-18" jointer someday. In the meantime I think I'll be happy the iron I have and get it going, along with a couple other pieces of old iron

This is one sweet jointer...just love the colors.

Ben Grunow
08-27-2006, 9:42 PM
Just needs pillows and blankets!

What a nice machine. makes mine look like a toy. How much do you think it weighs just out of curiosity?

Joe Mioux
08-27-2006, 9:54 PM
That is a beautiful machine and a great restoration

Joe

Rob Diz
08-27-2006, 9:58 PM
OK boys (and a few girls).

You know you want one.

Now you know someone who already restored one, and can walk you through the restore step by step (although you may want to ask about the .012).

You know you want one . . .

and you can have one:

JOINTER--12'', J.A. Fay & Egan. 3 phase, electric, $899/obo. Other items avail. 513-226-5445

This baby has been popping up in the Cincinnati Enquirer Tools and Machinary adds for the past few weeks. I cut and paste this from Sunday's paper.

I work in a single garage shop, so no space for me :mad: It looks like I will have to hand joint my 24 inch wide oak planks I have stickered outside. Hell, with this machine you could almost joint on the machine in a few minutes. Scary, isn't it?

Hell, you could pretend to be David Marks with this bad boy in your shop.

Come on, you know it needs a good loving home, why not yours?:rolleyes:

Just let me know it found a good home, please.

Mark Marzluf
08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone.. It's a pleasure to have in the shop. Even jointing my first 10" board was a joy. The 85+" long beds really help so you're not fighting to ballance AND push at the same time.

Yes..... there was a moment of pause once I got everything back together only to find a .012 sag in the outfeed table. Luckily, it was being created by a binding of the front and rear adjustments. Once loosend and reajusted - the sag is a meere .003" and not an issue. Course.... .012 wasn't bad, but I was hoping to get it better.

As best as I can tell - the enitre unit weighs in around 1100 or 1200 Lbs. Again.... that's only a guess based on lifting each piece. Most of the large pieces (Motor, beds, base casting, etc..) had to be lifted with at least 2 guys for loading.. Once in the shop I used an engine hoist to move things around.

If anyone knows where I can get one, I'm still missing the cover to the motor starter box. Previous owner doesn't think he had it, but I did find the screw that holds it on. Kind of wierd that it would still be around if the cover was long gone. It also came from a school - and I can't see it being allowed (by code at least) to be there without the cover on.

Anyway......... I'm going to eventually see about getting a custom Byrd head made for it but that will have to wait till I get some deeper pockets.

I plan to eventually replace my other big tools with old iron. I don't want all HUGE machines in the shop, so I'm going to be selective about what I buy next. Like to find a nice 20"ish bandsaw next.

I've got more pics of the "refurb" on this one if anyone wants to see them or needs them for reference. I didn't do the best job, but certainly went over each and every piece.

Alan DuBoff
08-28-2006, 3:31 AM
I plan to eventually replace my other big tools with old iron. I don't want all HUGE machines in the shop, so I'm going to be selective about what I buy next. Like to find a nice 20"ish bandsaw next.Oh boy, if you could find a Y20 snowflake, those are sweet. I like the old Walker-Turner 16", those look art deccoy-kewl, and the Crescent/Silvers are pretty classic looking. There are lot of nice bandsaws, just seems they're harder to find at reasonable prices.

I agree about having all huge machines. I was pondering over a planer, and most old planers are pretty big. I do lust over a Yates-American J-180, a very nice 18" planer, but I found a smaller 12" Parks that has been restored nicely, but doesn't have a motor. The seller included a base with the motor bracket, and the base needs to be restored. This is much more practical for a home shop, not that I'm practical.;-) The seller's a great craftsman, and moved to NY to help a friend build a business. Seems this little Parks would pair up nicely with a 12" jointer.;-)

I've got more pics of the "refurb" on this one if anyone wants to see them or needs them for reference. I didn't do the best job, but certainly went over each and every piece.I don't know why you say that, I think you did a fine job.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-28-2006, 5:56 AM
Boy is that one nice jointer, you sure did a bang up job on it.

That leather belt looks similar to the rubber bumber things in the rear hub of a motorcycle (Having a brain fart, can't remember what they call them...?).

VERY nice job, thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

John Shuk
08-28-2006, 6:23 AM
Wow. What a beautiful machine. You've really done it justice.

Tim Burke
08-28-2006, 6:38 AM
This was the first motor rebuild I had done, but it went pretty smoothly. Still have 2 extra cans of winding varnish that I'll probably never use though..

Mark,

Can you explain the motor rebuild? New bearings, capacitor, ...?

Tim

Alan DuBoff
08-28-2006, 1:13 PM
Can you explain the motor rebuild? New bearings, capacitor, ...?I'd like to hear about that also.

Mike Spanbauer
08-28-2006, 1:40 PM
Everytime I see this Mark, I get 'arn envy. Pictures like this are why I don't surf in the garage on the PC there.... would cause my PM 8" to get even greener.

michael

George Robin
08-28-2006, 4:10 PM
Mark, I know I've seen your entire right up on WN. I think other members here would love to see your start to finish pictures!

Brad Noble
08-28-2006, 4:59 PM
He probably won't be around to post pics for a few days. Remember, today he becomes a father for the second time around. I'm quite sure he's a bit busy right about now. 'Course, knowing Mark he'll probably pop in here and prove me wrong **again** just because he can!

Brad

John Scarpa
08-28-2006, 6:38 PM
Welcome aboard. You're going to enjoy your stay. That is one nice piece of iron you have there. Great job on the restore!

Arthur Wood
08-28-2006, 7:03 PM
Mark, I'm curious. . . .if you don't mind sharing, how much did the refurb cost you?

Had I been the one to stumble across that machine somewhere, I don't know that I'd know whether $400 would good be a good price or not, especially without knowing how much it would cost me to get the jointer in final, good working order.

You've done a really nice job.

Greg Ladd
08-28-2006, 8:06 PM
I have spoken previously with the owner of this jointer in Cincinnati. He could not tell me much about the machine. He didn't know the model number.

He did say it was not a DMD machine and also mentioned that it was a 2 knife cutter head. I do not know whether or not that cutterhead is particularly safe to use or not. He did not know if it ran or not.

I am guessing his price is probably a little too high. At least it is for me...

Greg