PDA

View Full Version : Alltrode lathe????

Christopher Stahl
08-27-2006, 1:47 PM
There is someone selling a lathe locally and it's a brand I've never heard off. It's an older lathe, but her husband did not use it but a couple times. She said it was and Alltrode model 185L1234. 12" swing, 34" bed and 3/4hp. Anybody heard of one of these or know if they're any good???? I haven't seen it yet because it's an hour drive, but was hoping to get some info before I checked it out.

thanks in advance!

Mark Rios
08-27-2006, 1:53 PM
I think that's supposed to be "AllTrade".

Jim DeLaney
08-27-2006, 3:12 PM
...She said it was and Alltrode model 185L1234. 12" swing, 34" bed and 3/4hp. ...

It's probably an All Trade brand lathe. They were among the original Taiwanese brands that hit the market maybe 25 years ago, when the Taiwanese clones first hit the U.S. market.

Quality can be 'all over the place' with these. Some were very good - I have a 25 year old All Trade 14" bandsaw that is the equal of the current Delta or Jet production in quality. Some were very bad - I briefly had a bench model drill press that had a huge amount of runout and a quill that was so rough that it went up and down in jerks instead of smoothly.

As for the lathe, I'm not familiar with it. My suggestion would be to look at it, and try it out if you can. Also, even if it's the smoothest running lathe you've ever seen, make sure the spindle thread size and the headstock/tailstock tapers are a standard size so that readily available chucks and accessories can be fitted to it.

As always, Caveat Emptor!

Christopher Stahl
08-28-2006, 8:29 PM
I went to take a look at the lathe, and it ended up being an Alltrade as you guys said. I'm going to have to break down and by a Oneway. :)

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 8:52 PM
Good thinking Chris. If I had the means to purchase a Oneway it would almost be a no-brainer. Besides, while 3/4 hp is a respectable amount of power and will accomplish a lot, I am learning that there are definite limitations when you get into larger pieces. When I upgrade, if at all possible I will bypass the 1.5 hp's and go straight to the 2 hp's. My .02
Mark