PDA

View Full Version : Music Stand

John Lock
10-06-2003, 8:49 AM
My daughter has just started violin and my son plays an assortment of musical instruments, so instead of buying music stands I've promised to build each of them their own. Anyone have any plans for stands?

Aaron Koehl
10-06-2003, 12:03 PM
My daughter has just started violin and my son plays an assortment of musical instruments, so instead of buying music stands I've promised to build each of them their own. Anyone have any plans for stands?

I'm actually looking for plans myself-- though I'll probably never have
time to build it :rolleyes:. I did see a good one in a back issue of Woodsmith.

_Aaron_

Jim Becker
10-06-2003, 12:18 PM
I don't know of any plans specifically, but the Furniture Society had music stands as their "contest" subject about a year ago and there were some absolutely outstanding productions by various woodworkers. If you think about it, you can probably sketch out some ideas fairly easily, considering that you'll want something slightly on the sturdy side of "art" for young people.

The most difficult part is if you need them to be height adjustable, yet "nimble". I've been thinking about this for some time myself, and still haven't arrived at the ideal solution. But while I was installing a new anti-scalp wheel on my mower deck last week, it occured to me that simple might be better...the moveable upper part would slide into the base. That upper part would have index holes that could be pinned quite simply. One of these days I'll have to turn a prototype. (As I'd prefer a round support for a Shaker-style construction similar to a candle stand base)

John Lock
10-06-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm actually looking for plans myself-- though I'll probably never have
time to build it :rolleyes:. I did see a good one in a back issue of Woodsmith.

_Aaron_

No plans, but someone at woodcentral was kind enough to point me to this website

www.misterstandman.com

Carl Eyman
10-06-2003, 9:02 PM
John:
FWW had an article on music stands a few years ago. I can look up chapter and verse and let you know. It described the important dimensions and showed some style options. I made one for my granddaughter (a violonist) that she uses in preference to a steel one. I don't have a digital picture of it, but can get one soon. I'd be glad to discuss the method of adjustment. Immodestly. I think it was pretty effective. Let me know what you'd like me to do. Carl

John Lock
10-07-2003, 12:15 PM
John:
FWW had an article on music stands a few years ago. I can look up chapter and verse and let you know. It described the important dimensions and showed some style options. I made one for my granddaughter (a violonist) that she uses in preference to a steel one. I don't have a digital picture of it, but can get one soon. I'd be glad to discuss the method of adjustment. Immodestly. I think it was pretty effective. Let me know what you'd like me to do. Carl

That articles mentioned to me a few other times. Unfortunately, it's no longer in print and I can't find a copy. If you could scan/copy it and email it to me, I'm sure my daughter would be very grateful (me too)

Carl Eyman
10-07-2003, 2:16 PM
That articles mentioned to me a few other times. Unfortunately, it's no longer in print and I can't find a copy. If you could scan/copy it and email it to me, I'm sure my daughter would be very grateful (me too)
I don't have the capability of scanning material. I did make a copy of the article to bring down to my shop and work from. I'd be glad to snail mail that to you. You can e-mai me your address. If you'd rather I scan it, I guess I can ask my friend Lynn (a member of the creek) to scan it. Let me know. Carl

chaddhamilton
10-14-2003, 11:47 AM
I haven't built this (yet), but here are the plans for very elegant guitar and music stands.

Cheers

http://www.canoe.ca/HGRenovation_CanadianHomeWorkshop02/mar02_musictrio-par.html