PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Platter

Barry Stratton
08-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Still not "impressive" but my best piece to date.

Walnut platter that started as a 1x1x8 piece of walnut a while back. Had family visiting so have been off the lathe for a week or so chasing fish.... Final size is 7 3/4 wide and 3/4 tall. I intentionally left it thicker at the bottom than at the top as it will be used and I wanted a "sturdy" instead of paper thin piece.

Finished with three coats of BLO. I'll most likely use poly or lacquer for a top coat, not sure yet.

As you can see, I had an "oops" when I tried to remove the nib on the bottom.

Please fire away with the critiques - I want to get better at this stuff...

Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Other than the mishap on the bottom Barry it looks mighty good. I just got done turning 7 walnut platters. Boy did the shop smell good. Anyway Nice job Barry.

Dennis Peacock
08-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Looks purdy to me Barry!!! Nice for on the outter lip going towards the bottom. I can tell that your turning skills are improving. Looking good buddy. :D

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 1:02 AM
Excellent Barry, that's a nice piece with or without the ding!

Corey

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-27-2006, 3:21 AM
From what I can see, Barry, it looks like you've done a great job with the form. Turning a platter with stock that thin must have been a challenge. Very nice work.

Vaughn McMillan
08-27-2006, 6:52 AM
That's a very pretty piece of wood Barry, and I like the platter. I can relate to the ding on the bottom. More than once I've not paid attention when first putting my chisel on the tool rest, get it a little too close, then BAM!

I think given the confines of a 1" thick piece of wood, you did a good job on the form (per my rookie eye). Critique-wise, I'd suggest a bit better lighting in the photos (or tweaking the white balance on your camera) to show off the wood better, and re-shooting the "inside" shot to get a pic with better focus. And watch where you put the chisel when you're removing nibs. :p :D

- Vaughn

Curt Fuller
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Barry, that's really a good looking platter. I've never turned one from 1" thick wood but that doesn't give you a lot to work with. You did a great job on it and that's a real pretty piece of wood. Did you use a waste block to mount it? And how'd you reverse it to finish off the bottom?

George Conklin
08-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Nicely done, Barry. I like the larger base area. I turned my first platter and found that a smaller base lacks stability:o .

I'm curious also about the use of a waste block? Inquiring minds want to know;) .

Scott Donley
08-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Nice job Barry, starting out with 1 inch stock leaves little room for mistakes. I see nothing that I could add that would improve it. You did good. :D

Barry Stratton
08-27-2006, 1:53 PM
You mean out of focus and too dark pics don't cut it????? Hows a guy supposed to hide all the flaws?????:D I'll repost a better front shot later as I'm about out the door for a while.

Yep, used a glue block. Started this before the Platter 101 post so did it a tad "different". Started off between centers, shaped the bottom and foot, then chucked it up to shape the inside, then "jamb chucked" it w/the tailstock also in place to turn off the foot - the ding came when I completely removed the nib and the plate shifted......

Current one on the lathe started life as a 1/2" piece of curly maple.....

Jim Becker
08-27-2006, 2:04 PM
Barry, I actually think this is a fine platter. The walnut is beautiful and the slightly up-turned rim is a nice feature that doesn't take away from the wood. It will continue to be beautiful, too...black walnut lightens a bit to a wonderful honey brown over time. Don't despair on the boo-boo on the bottom. It happens and realistically, it's not something that will be noticeable.

Dick Parr
08-27-2006, 3:01 PM
Great job Barry, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Sure is purrty...;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-27-2006, 3:43 PM
Looks good, I think but your pics suck! ;) :D

Sure is a nice looking chunk of wood!

Should buff out nicely!

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
08-27-2006, 4:34 PM
Barry - looks great!

Any chance you could remount it with a jamb chuck and fix the boo boo?

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-27-2006, 6:34 PM
I don't know, Barry. After all the comments, I'n kind of afraid to say this, but I can't comment on the piece. All three pictures are so dark, that all I see is a black circle. I'v had this problem with other posts of darker wood, but not all the time. I hope you don' mind, but i'm going to copy the third picture and see if I can lighten it.

Bruce

Barry Stratton
08-27-2006, 9:56 PM
I don't know, Barry. After all the comments, I'n kind of afraid to say this, but I can't comment on the piece. All three pictures are so dark, that all I see is a black circle. I'v had this problem with other posts of darker wood, but not all the time. I hope you don' mind, but i'm going to copy the third picture and see if I can lighten it.

Bruce

Copy and lighten away. Heck, I'll send the plate to you and you can make it look good:D

Thanks for the comments, you are way to nice......

Off to buy a photo tent, buffing wheels, new camera........:rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
08-28-2006, 8:15 PM
barry, that is a nice piece of Walnut, and I think you did just fine on it. That on the bottom looks like a dent instead of a cut. If so, you can sometimes raise a dent some with a hot wet rag.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-28-2006, 8:18 PM
Barry Nice work! I love that wood! Don't you think that if you're going to individualize the autographing mark on the bottom of each piece......you'll eventually run out of ideas?:D Seriously..nice work!