PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Walnut

Ted Calver
08-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Finally built a photo tent. I think I still need to play with the lights and reflectors, but this isn't too bad for a first shot. Approximately 12" x 4". Turned from a dry piece of hurricane walnut several years old. Finished with Mike Mahoney's walnut oil. Probably will give it a coat of beeswax before it heads for the dining room table with a salad in it. Thanks for looking.

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
Very striking bowl Ted! Nice color and grain in that walnut. Great photo as well!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
08-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Ted that is a nice looking bowl. I like the sap wood shading on both sides. I did a couple of walnut bowls that had that. I like the looks. Nice job.

Curt Fuller
08-26-2006, 11:45 PM
That's a great bowl Ted! I've been working with some walnut lately myself, but not having as nice of results.

I noticed that you haven't signed that beauty. You better sign it even if you're keeping it for yourself. Someday when you're gone on to the big lathe in the sky there will be folks that want to know Old Grandad Ted turned that bowl.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-27-2006, 3:10 AM
Beautifully worked, Ted. Your form really lets that lovely wood speak clearly.

Vaughn McMillan
08-27-2006, 6:44 AM
Another great job, Ted. Excellent piece, and the photography is very nice. (I like the lighting.) Got any pics of your photo tent?

- Vaughn

John Miliunas
08-27-2006, 7:36 AM
Very well done, Ted! Good looking piece and I really love your "stand" for it! :) I'm thinkin' your photo booth is working quite nicely. :) :cool:

Ted Calver
08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Vaughn,
There are several sources for light tent ideas. Mine came from Bill Huber at: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
I modified dimensions to accomodate some of the larger bowls I like to make (roughly 38" wide by 28" deep by 18" high) and added a bottom frame to help hold the poster board backdrop and stiffen things up. The horizontal elements (top and bottom frames)are glued. The vertical elements (legs) are not, letting you break the frame down for storage. I cut several sets of legs of various sizes and I'm glad I did because the setup I used for these pics was a little low at 18". For my purposes 22" legs will work better. An old white sheet is the light diffuser and a couple of old articulated 150watt halogen drafting lights from the attic are the light source.

Dick Parr
08-27-2006, 3:09 PM
Really nice looking bowl Ted, I love the contrast in the wood.

Great Job