PDA

View Full Version : I'm a new member

John Fry
08-26-2006, 9:16 PM
Hello all,

My name is John Fry.

I'm a semi-professional, custom furniture builder that works almost exclusively for one prominent, Los Angeles area designer. Almost everything I build is by commission and my work most often leans toward the contemporary. I live and work in a small community called Acton in the foothills above the high desert area, in North LA County.

Now, here's my confession. I've been hanging around someplace else for the last few years. But lately, I've been lurking at the Creek, and I have found the wealth of knowledge here to be tremendous. So today, I decided to join Sawmill Creek so I may take part in this community and learn and share with everyone here.

I like to post my projects for critique, as I always learn from the advice of other woodworkers, and at the same time, I hope I can benefit others as well.

John

Chisel and Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2006, 9:19 PM
Welcome to the Creek John! Nice website and work! We'll learn from you I"m sure!

glenn bradley
08-26-2006, 9:31 PM
Welcome John. Come on in the water's fine. Great looking pieces, an inspiration to us newbies.

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 9:32 PM
Welcome aboard, John!

Mark Rios
08-26-2006, 9:35 PM
Nice ta meet ya Mr. Fry. Welcome from a few hundred miles north. :D

This group L-O-V-E-S pics. There's talk of putting up a critique forum but until then, post away. However, there's a catch; you have to tell us how you do stuff, you have to like ice cream and you can't say bad words about my dogs (about me is okay but not about my dogs).:D

Just teasin' of course, don't listen to me. I'm just the lowest bonehead here but I'll still look forward to seeing your work and learning from you.

Cooommmee onnnn............where's the pics??????????

:D :D :D

Neil Clemmons
08-26-2006, 9:35 PM
Welcome John - really enjoyed looking at your work on your website.

Amazed at the step-by-step details on many of the projects. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Creek... Given the quality of your work, I know we can learn from you as well.

Neil

Al Willits
08-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome, as a newbie to both woodworking and this forum, I have to say there's some pretty nice and knowledgable people here and its a pretty friendly place to hang out.

Al

Dan Oliphant
08-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Well Mr. Fry, I wondered if you would ever make it over here!!!
Welcome to the creek, John.

Watch out for this guy folks, he does amazing work. His veneer work is nothing short of mind blowing.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Welcome Mr Fry. I look forward to your contributions.

Bruce

Steve Clardy
08-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Welcome John!

Cecil Arnold
08-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the creek John, awesome gallery on your web site.

Vaughn McMillan
08-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Welcome to the Creek, John. I've stumbled across your website in the past, and was impressed with your work back then. It's nice to know you'll be adding to the mix of expertise here at SMC.

- Vaughn

lou sansone
08-27-2006, 5:49 AM
welcome to the creek

lou

John Bailey
08-27-2006, 6:28 AM
Welcome to the Creek John. You will like it here and it's good to have another woodworker to help us hapless wanna-be's along.

John

Ron Blaise
08-27-2006, 6:54 AM
These are very nice folks here, as long as you catch them after they've had their coffee:rolleyes: . Nice to have another member that likes wood working. Oh, and I wouldn't call myself a "semi-pro" either son, that is "professionall" work you do boy!

Mike Cutler
08-27-2006, 7:49 AM
John.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek, and pleased to meet ya'. That's some nice work that you have featured on your page.

Mike

John Fry
08-27-2006, 9:46 AM
Thanks everybody, for the welcome and all the kind words.

Hey, DanO! Good to see you, I've seen some other names here that I recognize too.

Yup, this is gonna be fun!

Brad Noble
08-27-2006, 9:50 AM
Welcome to the creek, John. I have admired your work for quite some time and I am SURE that these creekers will too. Folks, this guy is good. I mean GOOD! Just hide and watch.

Brad (who spends time on that 'other' forum too)

Dave Shively
08-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi John,

Glad to see that you made it over here. I know you will enjoy it!

Dave, (Nimrod)

Ken Salisbury
08-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the Creek !!!!!

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Bob Noles
08-27-2006, 1:08 PM
John,

WELCOME!

Glad to see you found the cooler waters of SMC. Look forward to having you visit and share WW experiences with us. This is one of the best groups of folks and host on the internet.

Joe Blankshain
08-27-2006, 3:32 PM
Welcome to the Creek John. I know right where you are as my MIL and FIL live in Silver Lakes. Enjoy the ride on this resource.

Mark Marzluf
08-27-2006, 3:55 PM
Hey John !!

I figured if this is where you were, it must be the place.. :D

Course..... now I have to continue to watch as you make the rest of us look like amateurs..... :(

Chris Billman
08-27-2006, 8:43 PM
Made anything with ONE WOOD lately? ;)

Hope you're not abandoning that unmentioned other place John. You da man!

Alan DuBoff
08-27-2006, 8:50 PM
I'm a semi-professional, custom furniture builder that works almost exclusively for one prominent, Los Angeles area designer. Almost everything I build is by commission and my work most often leans toward the contemporary. I live and work in a small community called Acton in the foothills above the high desert area, in North LA County.That's a pretty modest statement for the work you turn out!;-) I'm sure you'll fit in well with others around here, many of them in your league (not me;-).

Now, here's my confession. I've been hanging around someplace else for the last few years. But lately, I've been lurking at the Creek, and I have found the wealth of knowledge here to be tremendous. So today, I decided to join Sawmill Creek so I may take part in this community and learn and share with everyone here.There seems to be a defection of such going on, must have been a real doozie over there!<LOL!>

I like to post my projects for critique, as I always learn from the advice of other woodworkers, and at the same time, I hope I can benefit others as well.There's some great woodworkers here, as there is over on that "someplace else". Something nice that isn't here is the white noise, and the people are more considerate in general.

Although I have always felt moderation is not needed, the "someplace else" made me realize that in some cases a little moderation isn't so bad after all. There seems to be a fine line between moderation and maturity, but it's too difficult for me to figure out, so I must still be maturing!;-)

Anyway, good to see you around, I've always enjoyed your work which is always very tasty.

John Hedges
08-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Boy that is one modest intro for one of the most talented woodworkers I've seen. Wait till you see one of his step by step documentary posts. Simply mindblowing. Besides that he is truly one of the nicest people to get info from I have met. I spent a great deal of his time picking his mind to get finishing info and he was a gracious as could be. Welcome to the creek John

tod evans
08-28-2006, 9:29 AM
welcome john!

John Fry
08-28-2006, 9:31 AM
WOW! Thanks again everybody,

It's pretty neat, and I'm kinda surprised that I already know quite a few of you.

I'm looking forward to this.

Guy Germaine
08-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome John. NewfGuy here. Glad to see you stop in. I've been on the "other" place for a while too.:D

Al Navas
08-28-2006, 11:44 AM
... Now, here's my confession. I've been hanging around someplace else for the last few years. But lately, I've been lurking at the Creek, and I have found the wealth of knowledge here to be tremendous. So today, I decided to join Sawmill Creek so I may take part in this community and learn and share with everyone here...

Welcome to the Creek, John. I know you will enjoy your stay, and I am also certain that others here will benefit from your experience, your input, and your feedback.

Al - (Sandal Woods elsewhere)

Jerry Strojny
08-28-2006, 5:50 PM
Outstanding work on your website. (Another reason for me to learn as much as I can from the creek community, and to double think about posting any of my work...) Just jaw dropping stuff you do.

Oh yeah, welcome!

Alan DuBoff
08-28-2006, 6:01 PM
John,

Would love to hear how you do some of your inlay work, if you would like to share. Not sure if another thread would be best or not, seems so. Too many folks welcoming you here, wouldn't want to distract them.

For instance, on your cedar lined white oak chest, how you did the front inlays as well as the sides, since the sides look quite a bit different. Maybe done the same way. Was curious if you chisel the inset or just what. The front inlay looks like it could be done with a router, but wasn't sure about the side.

John Scarpa
08-28-2006, 6:35 PM
Welcome John! It's always great to have another experienced craftsman among us. We like pics!