PDA

View Full Version : Picture this...

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 8:51 PM
I was at home, assembling one of those elliptical exercise machine things, when the LOML came home from running errands and told me about a garage sale she stopped at. The people had once owned some type of picture framing shop and were selling off some leftover picture frame molding. The wife says there was quite a bit of it and they were selling them piecemeal. She asked what they wanted for the whole bunch and they said 20 bucks. I says, "Well, did you get them?" She says, "No, I wasn't sure if you'd want them and I'd need the truck because, most of the pieces are too long." So, I gave her a 20$ bill and told her to go ahead and get them. I figured I'd use them up at some point. :) (Mind you, I know how expensive this stuff is and am envisioning a few 7 or 8' sticks of the stuff!:o )

So, 'bout 45min. later, she comes into the shop and says, "Well, did you want to see what I got?" This is what $20.00 at a garage sale will buy you in picture frame molding: :D

The bulk of it is in 9' lengths. There's Maple, Oak, Mahogany, Cherry and a couple "I dunno" lengths in there. Probably a dozen or more different profiles, all stained and finished with clear-coat! I guesstimated 300-400 linear feet of the stuff in the 9' lengths, plus probably another 100' in "shorts". Here's another shot about 1/2-way through the sorting process:

All in all, not a bad deal, me thinks! :) Every now and again (rarely) I get on the LOML for going to all those garage sales but, it's times like these when I remember why that's a rare occurrence! :) :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
08-26-2006, 8:54 PM
You've been framed. And that's a good thing.

Nice haul, John. I can see a lot of stuff getting made from that $20 pile.

- Vaughn

Mark Pruitt
08-26-2006, 8:57 PM
Hmmm...wonder what your next few projects are gonna be?:p Good score.
Mark

Lou Morrissette
08-26-2006, 9:14 PM
Did you mention that your wife carries a gun?;) Great bargain, John.

Lou

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2006, 9:18 PM
Looks like a case of robbery to me! Your wife's picture will be in all the post offices now!:eek: :D

Nice score John!

Per Swenson
08-26-2006, 9:19 PM
Bargain ain't the word!

Down the road from me in Hackensack NJ, aka smackencrack,

there are wholesale picture frame stock stores. those 9' lengths

start at $80. Damn near 10 bucks a foot.

Theft, cause you got a steal.

Per

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 9:20 PM
Did you mention that your wife carries a gun?;) Great bargain, John.

Lou

No gun, Lou...She knows a second language, though: "Rummage-speak"! :D

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 9:21 PM
Looks like a case of robbery to me! Your wife's picture will be in all the post offices now!:eek: :D

That's OK, Ken. My pictures at the USPS offices were starting to look lonely! :D :cool:

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 9:23 PM
Bargain ain't the word!

Down the road from me in Hackensack NJ, aka smackencrack,

there are wholesale picture frame stock stores. those 9' lengths

start at $80. Damn near 10 bucks a foot.

Theft, cause you got a steal.

Per

Yeah, don't I know it and, Jill does, too! She used to work at a gift shop where they also did custom framing. For those, they charged by the inch!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 9:24 PM
You stepped in it again. Sheesh! (Nice haul...and you owe the LOYL big-time... ;) )

Charles McKinley
08-26-2006, 9:32 PM
So what equipment were they giving away?

You didn't go look?

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 9:44 PM
So what equipment were they giving away?

You didn't go look?

Funny you should ask, Charles! The LOML didn't see any but, she did ask if they were going to be selling any of their framing equipment, as well! She said they were really hemming and hawing about that so, we don't know. Not a big deal, as I'm pretty well setup for doing frames and mats already. :) :cool:

Al Willits
08-26-2006, 9:53 PM
All that and SHE went back to get it???

Methinks I want to have a beer or two with you and get a few tips....I bet you don't vacuum either huh???

Al........ nice haul btw....:)

Wes Bischel
08-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Holy cow!! That's more like grand theft!!:D I used to buy sticks of frame stock for specific details (fine dentils etc.) and use them in ceiling prototypes. The stock is expensive, but much cheaper than having the guys in the model shop make it!:D (plus they appreciated the break from such fine detail work)

Great haul - kudos to your MRS.

Wes

John Miliunas
08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
All that and SHE went back to get it???

Methinks I want to have a beer or two with you and get a few tips....I bet you don't vacuum either huh???

Al........ nice haul btw....:)

I do so vacuum!!! Well, my shop and the car, when it needs it! :D

Stop over any time and we'll have a couple cold ones! As for tips, I'm willing to share but, use them at your own risk! :eek: :D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
08-27-2006, 12:26 PM
WOW! Nice haul John! That is some nice stock. Congrats!
Corey

Steve Clardy
08-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Hmmmm.

Wonder what projects you are going to be posting for the next six months:rolleyes: :)

Bruce Page
08-27-2006, 2:49 PM
John, I don't know how you sleep at night!

Nice score!

John Shuk
08-27-2006, 3:03 PM
And you had her do the dirty work too.... I think she has a free pass to the garage sales for life with that haul.

Dick Parr
08-27-2006, 3:21 PM
Great gloat John and one heck of a deal, you owe her big time. Looks like a lot of material that can be used to make collars for turnings. :eek: :D :D ;)

Jerry Olexa
08-27-2006, 6:27 PM
John: AND you accuse ME of being a robber...:) You outdid me partner!! See: good things happen to good people (an exception in your case:D --Only kidding). Enjoy your haul!! (I found myself out in the garage last night @ midnight fondling that walnut):) :D

John Miliunas
08-27-2006, 6:42 PM
Thanks guys but, you need to see both sides of this story! Think about it once: How many picture frames have you made totally and solely for yourself???? :confused: Point being that, a good part of her "looking out for me" was just about as much self-serving! I mean, you must know by now who has been my #1 picture frame client, don't you? It's quite clear who will continue to hold that spot, as well! :D

That's OK...I don't mind making frames and this will certainly speed up the process. And, she can pick out whatever color/profile suits her fancy on any given project. Me thinks we both won on this deal. I just hope the cops don't catch up with us!!! :eek: :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-27-2006, 8:34 PM
So John. You got any frames done yet:rolleyes: ;)

John Miliunas
08-27-2006, 8:39 PM
So John. You got any frames done yet:rolleyes: ;)

LOL...What a comedian! :D No and probably won't for some time yet. It's canning season, you know and the LOML is making herself busy with that. In other words, she hasn't had a chance yet to go through her "Want List"! :rolleyes: I'm sure my time will come and then I won't have any excuses! :eek: :D :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-27-2006, 8:43 PM
Well the canning thing computes with my brain.:rolleyes:

I'm actually getting tired of the daily tomato picking.

48 plants is too many. Plus all the other goodies.:)

John Miliunas
08-27-2006, 9:17 PM
I'm actually getting tired of the daily tomato picking.

48 plants is too many. :)

48 plants???? :eek: Egads....That'd be a LOT of Bloody Mary's, me thinks! :D :cool:

Norman Hitt
08-28-2006, 4:55 AM
Boy oh Boy, John, you're going to be one busy feller, what with the Computer job at the College, and you're evening job at the woodworking store, and now.............opening your own Millwork store. Wheeeeeeeeew.......makes me tired just thinking of it.:rolleyes: :D

Super nice haul.

Karl Laustrup
08-28-2006, 5:48 AM
Man, you fell in it again. ;) :D That is a really nice haul of stock.

Wondering if the garage got cleaned/straightened up though? :confused: :D

Karl

John Miliunas
08-28-2006, 7:53 AM
Wondering if the garage got cleaned/straightened up though? :confused: :D

Karl

YES!!! It did! As a matter of fact, once cleaned, that's where all the molding stock went. :D (Even cleared out enough room to transfer misc. stuff from the finishing room to make space available for the exercise equipment!:) ):cool:

Jim Becker
08-28-2006, 9:58 AM
Even cleared out enough room to transfer misc. stuff from the finishing room to make space available for the exercise equipment!

So...you're gonna exercise while sniffing finishing fumes...LOL!! :D :D

Byron Trantham
08-28-2006, 10:04 AM
John,
Nice haul! I wonder if they have a guillotine or anyother specialized picture framing hardware?:confused:

John Miliunas
08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
John,
Nice haul! I wonder if they have a guillotine or anyother specialized picture framing hardware?:confused:

A quillotine is about the only specialized piece I could use. That would come in handy, if the price was right. I'll ask the LOML to stop back over there sometime and see if they've decided to liquidate any of their equipment. :) :cool: