PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with this scanner?

Mark Rios
08-26-2006, 8:26 PM
I've got an Epson Perfection 1650 Scanner. I don't think I'm allowed to just throw it away, due to the new laws. I works fine. I replaced it with a high-end HP all-in-one and it just sits in my spare room taking up space. (I might be moving in the next few months and I'm trying to get rid of all of the stuff that I don't REALLY need. We may be selling this property where I live in the next few months depending on the state of the investment property market.)

Any ideas on what to do with it (that conform to the SMC TOS:D )?

Is it something that is still useful? If it is and someone wants it you can have it for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for any advice.

Doug Jones
08-26-2006, 8:35 PM
Offer it to a church.

Jon Eckels
08-26-2006, 9:54 PM
www.freecycle.org (http://www.freecycle.org)

give it away for free.

Matt Warfield
08-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Sell it on ebay with a .01 starting price. I've yet to see any of my discarded items not sell. :rolleyes:

Brian Hale
08-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Put it on Craigs list for $25

Matt Meiser
08-27-2006, 10:32 AM
We gave ours to the Habit for Humanity Re-Store.

Frank Fusco
08-27-2006, 1:06 PM
We have a local computer users group of more than 300 members. I am past president. One of our more satisfying and useful ongoing projects is to give computers and equipment to worthwhile causes. Often it is shut-ins, sometimes volunteer fire departments, charities, etc. Someone can use it.

Rob Bodenschatz
08-27-2006, 1:36 PM
I've got an Epson Perfection 1650 Scanner. I don't think I'm allowed to just throw it away, due to the new laws. I works fine. I replaced it with a high-end HP all-in-one and it just sits in my spare room taking up space.

This made me chuckle because I could have made the same exact statement. Right down to the model number. I'm going to try to ebay or craigslist mine. That doesn't work, charity.

Frank Fusco
08-27-2006, 4:16 PM
BTW. Wat new laws? I recently trashed an old monitor. Am I going to jail? :o

Mark Rios
08-27-2006, 8:48 PM
BTW. Wat new laws? I recently trashed an old monitor. Am I going to jail? :o

Yeah, out here in california anyway it's now illegal to dump your old electronics. Too much ca ca bad stuff leaching into the water table and such.

Now there is a surcharge at landfills and, IIRC, a surcharge when you buy a new piece of electronics, at least on the monitors, tv's, stuff like that.

Frank Fusco
08-28-2006, 9:33 AM
Yeah, out here in california anyway it's now illegal to dump your old electronics. Too much ca ca bad stuff leaching into the water table and such.

Now there is a surcharge at landfills and, IIRC, a surcharge when you buy a new piece of electronics, at least on the monitors, tv's, stuff like that.

I was only partially joking. I do understand the problem. OTOH, what does one do with the old stuff? Gotta get rid of it somewhere, somehow. When I was president of our computer club the local school district gave us several pick-up truck loads of old computer equipment. All in good working condition but obsolete. Hundreds of printers and monitors went to the landfill. Their value was less than the cost of hauling. Our closest recycling center is a five hour round trip and one must pay THEM to take the stuff. I think they charge $25.00 for a monitor and $50 for a computer. I don't like dumping in a landfill, but, again, ask the question: what else to do?

Curt Harms
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
..... I don't like dumping in a landfill, but, again, ask the question: what else to do?

I saw a show on a cable channel a firm that took recycled tech gear, pulled usable components for resale, ran the rest through a hammer mill and recovered the metal. I don't remember if it was profitable, but I recall it being at least break-even. There's a fair bit of gold in connectors, apparently, as well as other resalable metals.

Curt

Frank Fusco
08-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I saw a show on a cable channel a firm that took recycled tech gear, pulled usable components for resale, ran the rest through a hammer mill and recovered the metal. I don't remember if it was profitable, but I recall it being at least break-even. There's a fair bit of gold in connectors, apparently, as well as other resalable metals.

Curt

Like I said, the closest one to where I live is 2 1/2 hours away and they charge to TAKE this stuff. The driving, time and money is wasteful in itself. Question: what to do? Remains.

Jerry Clark
08-28-2006, 12:11 PM
In California they charge a additional fee when you purchase an electronic item-- I purchased a small flat panel TV for $400 and there was an additional $8 charge -:mad: - "CA E-WST FEE" for electronic disposal. I believe this is for the recovery of the metal and hazardous material, and disposal. Of course you should take the old items to a disposal site. :)

Barry Stratton
08-29-2006, 3:03 AM
Any ideas on what to do with it (that conform to the SMC TOS:D )?

Thanks for any advice.

I've heard if you can burn it, you can turn it. Buy that lathe and give it a spin. C'mon, you know you want one.........