PDA

View Full Version : PC 7518 Router problem/question

David Tiell
08-26-2006, 5:01 PM
My PC 7518 lately keeps sticking when trying to raise or lower the bit. After a LOT of effort, I finally got the motor out and cleaned out the spiral grooves in the base that it rides in. the metal was kind of rough on both pieces, so I used some fine sandpaper to clean them up some, but it still seems very difficult. Will some silicone spray lube help with this? Or does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

Mark Rios
08-26-2006, 5:09 PM
DO NOT USE SILICONE!!!!! Very much badness comes from silicone and woodworking.

Maybe try wax, Pam, or something that some of the very knowledgable recommend.

Tom Hintz
08-26-2006, 5:58 PM
I use Johnson's Paste Wax on the bodies of all my routers. It makes them go in and out very easy. It also makes height adjustment on the fixed-base ones very smooth.
Take the advice about silicone - don't use it around the shop!

jesse akers
08-26-2006, 6:07 PM
Is that the david Tiell, as in "Tools and Techniques" on diy?

David Tiell
08-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Is that the david Tiell, as in "Tools and Techniques" on diy?Nope, not the same. Sorry to disappoint. I believe he spells his last name Thiel.

pat warner
08-27-2006, 10:43 AM
The 7518 has some of the best features of all routers. For example, this tool can handle more heat and stress than any router.
It is the most powerful in my testing and use experience.
Notwithstanding, it has problems. It was not designed for upsidedown use in its own casting, (a lift ok).
It's casting will jam with chips & fines. Work metal or plastic and it may jam forever more. A wood chip is compressable and allow you to get the casting out
by working the tool up & down.
How to prevent? Don't use it upsidedown! Gravity will aid & abet the chip conflageration. Rightside up the tool has no problem.
Won't do? Then before removing the motor from the casting spin it to the end of its travel; this may eject most of the chip.
Now spin it up & down with an air blast directed at the split in the casting. This will blow the chip out of the spirals as they accumulate.
Now then, if you have wasted (galled) the castings (motor barrel and base) you'll have to sand out the dings.
Use # 220-300+ SIC sandaper & solvent on the inside of the casting and a sanding caul with a 2-1/8" radius on the motor barrel.
Leave any sharp dings on either and that will be the nucleus for the next jam.
Clean both components solvent, paste wax both and you're back in business.
Routers (http://www.patwarner.com)