PDA

View Full Version : Mortise & Tenon Question

John Michaels
08-26-2006, 3:03 PM
I just bought a Shop Fox mortising machine and need some advice. I need to put about five mortise holes down each dresser leg. Should I apply finish before or after I mortise. If I mortise then apply finish I'll have to think of a way to keep the finish out of the joints for proper glue-up. If I finish the legs first, there might be some akward touching up to do from scratches or glue that squeezes out.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-26-2006, 3:59 PM
You want to work with pre-finished pieces? How about finishing the assembly after the glue sets up?

Pre-finishing is such a beast of a lot of work.
You are still going to have to finish everything again later aren't you?

I dunno I just see applying finish as the last thing I do.

I suppose If I were very concerned that glue would get in the way of a stain or show up under the finish I'd think about it. If I were going that route I'd treat that pre-finish as a sacrificial lamb. Letting it take scratches and whatever. knowing I was going to apply several coats later.

Ron Blaise
08-26-2006, 4:18 PM
John. The only prefinish I do is sanding. Even then there's more to do between coats, at least the first two. I like to dry fit mortise and tennons
anyway and always seem to nick or scratch the wood during the fit process. By the way, I have the same mortiser. How do you like yours?

John Michaels
08-26-2006, 8:20 PM
By the way, I have the same mortiser. How do you like yours?

So far I've only tried it on some scrap pieces, but overall the design seems great for the price.

Doug Jones
08-26-2006, 8:37 PM
Do the mortises first then when applying finish fill the mortises with cotton balls.