PDA

View Full Version : Freud Thin kerf 24 tooth TK206 saw blade

Kevin Blunt
08-26-2006, 2:30 PM
Hey all,

I am just wondering if anyone out there has any experiences with this saw blade. I am in Canada and the Canadian tire stores have a good deal on them right now @ 40% off. Sale price is $28 and change. I have a Delta hybrid saw and typically use full kerf blades but I think that this would be beneficial when cutting thicker woods.

Does anyone own this saw blade or know or have good or bad experiences with it. I know that it is just a regular blade but don't want to waste my money on something that is junk. Oh, and by the way, the blade is chrome polished and Freud advertises it as corrosion proof. They also make a red version of it I believe. Thanks for any info as always.

Cheers and beers,

Kevin

glenn bradley
08-26-2006, 4:41 PM
I've have some plain and some with the red which cost a little bit more for the pretty anti stick coating. I have had only good experience with any of my half dozen or so Freuds. I also have Forrest and Vermonts in the stable to compare to. HTH.

Steve Clardy
08-26-2006, 4:54 PM
I run the red 24T ones.
Very satisfied with them

Mike Canaris
08-26-2006, 5:00 PM
I have had one of those blades for the past couple of years.. and really like it... I bought recently the LU83R010 thin kerf 50 tooth one and had nothing but trouble with it ,if you try to rip anything over 3/4 ich it burns the wood.

http://www.justfreud.com/Graphics/LU84R_125.jpg

Gary Keedwell
08-26-2006, 5:10 PM
Mike...I think 50 teeth is too much for ripping. IMHO 24 teeth is just right for a good rip.

Gary K.

scott spencer
08-26-2006, 5:44 PM
Hi Kevin - That blade should be fine for heavy ripping on your saw. Flat top grind (FTG) and thin kerf is a good match. $28CDN is a pretty good price....$30 US is a decent sale price here.

One point to clarify where the TK206 falls...Freud has multiple lines of blades aimed at different segments of the market, at different price points, and different quality levels. Most Freud blades represent very competitive value at just about all their price points IMO. The TK/Avanti series (TK206 is from this line) is one of their two entry level lines...the other being the Diablo series, which is made to similar quality standards but is marketed more towards the construction industry than hobbyists. Their Industrial line is the next step up, offering a better grade of carbide and overall quality, and is more comparable to many of the premium brands....they often cost more, but sometimes sale prices drop them to within a couple of dollars of the Diablo/Avanti lines for a comparably designed blade. The 24T rippers in the Industrial line are the LM72R010 (full kerf/FTG) and the LU87R010 (TK/ATB).

If you don't need that blade within the next day or two, there's a Leitz distributor who's temporarily offering hard to beat clearance prices on some high quality German made blades that are badged with the Delta, Irwin, and Leitz logos. Some of the Delta and Irwin blades in box stores are average at best, but the Leitz made blades are excellent. His $11 24T FTG TK ripper is the same as the HO Schumacher & Sohn ripper that retails for $46 (also made by Leitz). It's well worth taking the time to touch base with Mr. Jackson....I believe he'll ship to Canada, and IMO this is a higher quality ripper than the 206.

10" z24 FLAT TOP fast rip thin kerf #011 $ $11 each
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=2572591&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2572591&Search=true&where=&Name=33376&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post2572591
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/irwin24t.jpg

Steve Clardy
08-26-2006, 6:01 PM
Scott. I bought a box of ten of those from Mike.

Working on my second one.
Price is cheap enough I can throw them away, due to a $7.00 sharpening cost.
Good blades!

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2006, 6:06 PM
I can't complain about how any of my Frued blades have perfored. I have thin kerf and full kerfs and they are great. I have the LU83 thin kerf 50tooth combo and I love it for all around work. I also have one of the rip blades that Scott mentions. It works great!

Corey

scott spencer
08-26-2006, 6:17 PM
Scott. I bought a box of ten of those from Mike.

Working on my second one.
Price is cheap enough I can throw them away, due to a $7.00 sharpening cost.
Good blades!

:eek: Geez Steve...you go through saw blades like I go through tanks of gas! :D

Steve Clardy
08-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Several a year. 6-8

I get 3-4 sharpenings out of the freuds. Usually have 2-3 of them around.
Tried one of the Leitz. Cuts nice. Doesn't last as long as my freuds.
But for the cost-----

Jeff Booth
08-27-2006, 9:34 AM
I like the 24T Red Freud that I have. It really rips clean and if I feed it slowly enough I can usually get a nice crosscut (except plywood). I definitely would buy another one when the time comes. It has replaced my 40T combination blade as the 'main stay' on the saw.

I get all my blades sharpened, I guess I am cheap :-)

JB

Alan DuBoff
08-27-2006, 1:41 PM
but the Leitz made blades are excellent. His $11 24T FTG TK ripper is the same as the HO Schumacher & Sohn ripper that retails for $46 (also made by Leitz). It's well worth taking the time to touch base with Mr. Jackson....Mike's a great guy and ships quickly. I have been using Leitz blades on my Ridgid 3612 contractors saw and overall very pleased wtih the price/quality. I had bought a genuine Leitz Pro 24T rip as he only had the thin kerf and I wanted a full kerf.

I recentely bought 5 of the 14" 24T blades (Deltas) for my 16" Yates-American, for $12/each and he charged $5 for rebore (I still get 3 1/8" depth on the saw). I also got a 16" 84t ATB blade which I'll use for xcut, but it was about $45. Still, a 16" blade for $45 is quite a deal.

The Delta blades are every bit the same as the Leitz Pro 24T I have on my Ridgid right now. I can tell no difference. I only need to finish up the wiring so that I can use the YA G89 saw. Then the ridgid is going up for sale, someone's gonna get a great little contractors saw that calibrates very well. Here's a pic of the 14" 24T on the saw.

(linky pic for higher res)

http://softorchestra.com/images/small_delta_35-671.jpg (http://softorchestra.com/images/delta_35-671.jpg)
http://www.SoftOrchestra.com/images/small_delta-35-671.jpg

Howard Acheson
08-27-2006, 3:47 PM
Mike, the 50 tooth combo blade is designed to work with wood 1" or less. It may very well burn hardwoods like maple and cherry if the wood is more than 3/4". For ripping you definately will do better with your 24 tooth rip blade.

Howie.........

I have had one of those blades for the past couple of years.. and really like it... I bought recently the LU83R010 thin kerf 50 tooth one and had nothing but trouble with it ,if you try to rip anything over 3/4 ich it burns the wood.

http://www.justfreud.com/Graphics/LU84R_125.jpg