PDA

View Full Version : Help!!With Diploma

GARY GRUBB
08-26-2006, 2:27 PM
My wife works for a school and we are going to try to do diploma's.How best to scan?What materials?What price? Do you give the school a percentage?How to take orders? Do we have to get special permission to scan the diploma? thanks

Rodne Gold
08-26-2006, 6:55 PM
Scan at 300 dpi if you arent going to enlarge, 600 if you are.
Materials : leather , stone , wood , anodised aluminium , Rowark type materials , acrylic , wood
Price at least 5-7x your material costs and add a bit for labour and artwork - say $30-50.
If the school gets the business and organises payment and distribution , then give em a cut , enough to make it worthwhile , otherwise just pay the school to advertise there.
Use a decent order book and send the client a proof of what its gonna look like , get a deposit up front .
I doubt you would have to get permision to scan it , what you are doing is the same as photocopying it.
Be ultra careful with diplomas , posting em etc , lose one and you are up a creek.

GARY GRUBB
08-26-2006, 9:42 PM
Thanks Rodne for your input.I thought that I could just use one diploma & just change the names, is that possible?

Shaddy Dedmore
08-26-2006, 10:51 PM
It's most likely possible. You might have to scan in the name (handwriting, right?) and make the background transparent. Just depends on layout and how close the other objects on the page are. And the texture of the page. If the background is plain, you should be able to insert the scanned sig.

Or if the people dont's mind, you can use a scripty font, or even a handwriting font.

Shaddy

GARY GRUBB
08-27-2006, 2:43 PM
Thanks Shaddy,It's a scripty font so I such be good to go.

Aaron Koehl
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Just remember that diplomas tend to change from year to year, with turnover of presidents, registrars, etc., you get different signatures..

GARY GRUBB
08-29-2006, 5:04 PM
Thanks Aaron I'll keep that in mind.Do you know why when I scan, the image is a different size it's like it's scrunched together A inch or two smaller.Does it have to do with dpi. Im a new guy

Pete Simmons
08-29-2006, 5:25 PM
Try retyping the diploma text. Then scan and use only the parts you need. Font Diploma is used on many diplomas.

Aaron Koehl
08-30-2006, 9:55 AM
Can't help with the scanning issue, but as Pete said, retyping definitely gets you the best quality.

There usually are slight variations in font from diploma to diploma; however, these are usually acceptable. A "likeness" of the original on marble or wood is usually more than sufficient for most customers. It's only in rare cases that they ask for a full reproduction of the original.

(It's not a photocopy, after all, it's art!)