PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Gloat (pics)

Jerry Olexa
08-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Following your good advice, I bought 100 bft. of walnut yesterday and trucked it home. Really nice WWer I met (most are :) ) and he threw in a box of shorts which you'll see. We put a little danish oil on one of the scraps and WOW, BEEEutifil!! Think I did alright! Thanks for your tips. Pics will show in the truck, stacked and the shorts...

Art Mulder
08-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Looks to me like more than a hundred BF.

Nice score, Jerry

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Beautiful material, Jerry. And I agree with Art...sure looks like more than a hundred board feet!

Jerry Olexa
08-26-2006, 3:35 PM
Art and Jim: Thanks. The pics in the truck and box are all walnut. In the pic where it is standing up (vertically)in the garage is: Walnut on the left and cherry on the right (little bit of maple and poplar in the middle). Maybe that's where it looks like a lot over 100bf. The seller was very generous and gave extra. Thanks

Ron Blaise
08-26-2006, 4:25 PM
:rolleyes: That wood is addictive! Good haul, enjoy your Walnut!

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2006, 6:12 PM
Nice stuff Jerry, great gloat! Beautiful walnut!

corey

Karl Laustrup
08-26-2006, 6:25 PM
Nice haul there Jerry. I agree it does look like more than 100 bf. Now what are you going to make with it?

Karl

Jesse Cloud
08-26-2006, 6:34 PM
Great wood! I looks very clear and no twisting. I'll bet you are going to have great fun turning that into something.

John Miliunas
08-26-2006, 7:39 PM
You done good, Jerry! It's great when you come across a fine deal on nice material and meeting another nice WW, to boot! :) Like Karl asked, whatchya' makin' with it? :) :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2006, 7:43 PM
Congrats Jerry! Nice looking wood. Have fun with it!

Larry Crim
08-26-2006, 8:13 PM
Jerry
If I remember right you paid about $2 a BF for that and you should be ashamed of yourself. That is not a gloat it's scam you should give half of it away just to make yourself feel better about it. I will send you my address in case you fees like you need to justify for you actions.

Only kidding nice haul
You will like working with it I'm sure.
Larry

Mark Ebert
08-26-2006, 8:33 PM
Your Walnut supplier doesn't happen to have any more for sale, does he?:D I'm starting on a cabinet for my son and I'm looking to pick up around 100' myself. I'm also in the N. Illinois area (Plainfield).

-Mark

Reg Mitchell
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi Jerry..nice haul....hmmmmmmmm now I am wondering what it is gonna morf into....;)

Jerry Olexa
08-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Your Walnut supplier doesn't happen to have any more for sale, does he?:D I'm starting on a cabinet for my son and I'm looking to pick up around 100' myself. I'm also in the N. Illinois area (Plainfield).

-Mark

Mark and Larry: Sorry to say but its all gone (sold). This is a fellow WWer who in earlier years cut much of this himself. He's since sold his sawmill equipment and he's just cleaning out his shop. He had 200 bft of walnut and I took half. The other 1/2 sold to the gentleman after me. Had I known in advance how good it was, I would have taken it all but he had already promised 1/2 to the 2nd party..Sorry

Jerry Olexa
08-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Karl and John: Don't know yet what I'm going to build but looking @ possible desk or tall chest (LOML likes both ideas)The shorts have me thinking about maybe doing some turning.:) Keeping my eye out for good deal on a jointer before I can plunge in either project and of course, I have all that cherry so that justifies a new tool :D :)

lou sansone
08-27-2006, 5:51 AM
nice haul of the "king of the woods"

lou

Ron Blaise
08-27-2006, 7:09 AM
Jerry:
When SWMBO wants something made it's easy to justify with "well yeah I could do that if I had the right tool". Be surprised what you can get when "they" want you to make something for them!

Jerry Olexa
08-27-2006, 6:17 PM
[quote=Ron Blaise]Jerry:
When SWMBO wants something made it's easy to justify with "well yeah I could do that if I had the right tool". Be surprised what you can get when "they" want you to make something for them![/quote

Ron: you're right!! That works pretty good when you need the tool for "their" project. You're supposed to say something like" I normally wouldn't buy this tool, sweetie but...:) ".
Hey even my garage smells better with all that Walnut. Now I need a jointer (for her project of course)