PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to garage shop

Larry Klaaren
08-26-2006, 11:36 AM
We recently moved and ended up in New Lenox, IL. We rented a townhouse for a year so we could get a sense of where we want to live (hope to make the last move ever), and get our act together about buying a house, since we've been provided housing for my employment for the last 16 years.

I'd like to set up my shop. We have a small garage and a large basement. Dust in either one is not an option, and I don't think working in the driveway or the common yard is an option and even if it is, the noise is not. I know I can rent storage space, but thought I would throw out this question and see if you all have any thoughts or advise that would help me.

I have been thinking of going Neanderthal, at least for a while, but I wonder if that would solve the problems in using common space. All my tools except my drill press and router are bottom end at this time although I have a fund built up for a top-line band saw. (Right now I have bench tools that ran under $200.00 new.)

Thanks,
Larry

Bob Noles
08-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Larry,

Is a pre-fab out building an option? If so, it would make for an excellent workshop.

Neander is a wonderful way to go and would make an excellent choice if you are up to it. Unfortunately, I have to mix neander with power due to health issues or I would go neander all the way. I love it allure of the old skills and tools it requires.

Larry Klaaren
08-26-2006, 4:45 PM
No we have to keep the lawn clear for the mowers etc. It's not ideal for our trampoline, yard games etc. either.

I'll probably end up renting a storage garage, just looking for ideas.

Larry

John W. Willis
08-26-2006, 5:39 PM
I am in the process of setting up my shop in an aluminum out building. It is aesthetically pleasing because it matches the house colors. Maybe you could get one and set it in the driveway or parking spot? Mine is 10x14x8.

Also a friend of mine that was short on space in his home found a used travel trailer and gutted it and set up his dark room in it.

I'm not sure what restrictions might be on you in a townhouse but it's just my two cents worth.

Jeff Horton
08-26-2006, 5:44 PM
I don't know about you but if I have to "go" to my shop (drive) I am far less likely to go. With the shop at the house I work a while, I come upstairs from the basement. Eat a bite, look stuff up on the computer etc. Then head back down. If I had to go somewhere it would be to much like work.

As for dust, I have a basement shop and the only dust problem is me. Forgetting to clean myself and my shoes before I come upstairs.

Ned Bulken
08-26-2006, 5:48 PM
I'm also 'shop space' challenged at the moment, I'm considering three options 1) build a small outbuilding (funds arent coming together for this fast enough at the moment, and fall/winter are just around the corner)
2) renting a stall out of a friend's garage)
3) buying a skoolie and turning it into a rolling shop.

I really want to do 1) but the LOML and I are planning on moving, and if I sink all that money into the shop now... well, I'd just rather not have to redo that again in a year or so.
which means that 2) is actually in the 'lead' right now, except my friend is having trouble with one of her grown kids, and may not have the garage available for awhile.

Option 3) is a cool idea, in that I could also get a 'bus project' out of it eventually. The LOML has connections with the local school district, so I may get the bus extremely cheap, then it would be a matter of gutting it, and setting up 'shop' in there. That would mean I would just have to figure out how to convince her that this is a 'good idea':eek:... wish me luck. :D

Jamie Buxton
08-26-2006, 9:33 PM
You might consider renting real shop space in an industrial zone. I kinda got forced into it by neighbors who were tired of hearing all the noise from my garage shop, but now I have to admit that it is really a good thing. I can make noise at any hour of the day or night. I can spray finishes without worrying about where the overspray might land. I have 3-phase. I have 16-foot ceilings, so I have never whacked a light with a workpiece.

glenn bradley
08-26-2006, 9:37 PM
With HOA rules what they are, I imagine any structure outside is a no-no. If the garage and basement are off limits for sawdust (no matter how well controlled) I don't see an option other than a remote site. "You-stor" type storage facilities will be power challenged. You may be able to find a one-off commercial structure through a broker / property mgmt outfit. Best of luck. I visit my attached shop almost everyday if only to pick-up a little after myself. I would sorely miss it if I were deprived.