PDA

View Full Version : Odds and Ends....................

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Last Saturday at the "Let's meet the new family members and friends" cookout prior to the next day's daughters wedding at Newport OR........our oldest granddaughter surprised us visually and verbally.........We are going to be great grandparents again in December ............she called Wednesday evening following a sonogram....it's a boy...........

If the inmates here don't believe you effected our .....you'll notice I used the word "our" not my...lives........I've got to tell you this.....My wife has a friend who's recently developed a dislike of driving a car........so my wife was shuttling her around the area ....between Clarkston WA (across the Snake River) and Lewiston Idaho......as they crossed the Snake River on one of the two bridges.........my wife spotted a piece of log that had dropped out of somebody's pickup.....She stopped on the bridge and told her friend to get out an get it........."Are you serious?" her friend asked?........."Do you know what turning blanks can cost?" my wife asked.............

While in Newport OR last weekend for our daughter's wedding....We spent most of Saturday doing the tourist thing....shopping.........As we walked by one of many art galleries....I spotted some turnings inside. We went in and were checking them out for new inspirations.......My wife was quite noticeably identifying woods.....forms......"Can you turn something like this?"........We ended up in every gallery in town that day.....BOY there are a lot of galleries!

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 11:08 AM
That's most excellent, Ken. I'm glad the LOYL has taken an interest in something that really brings you pleasure...and now her, as well. Of course, you may end up needing a second lathe... :D

Dennis Peacock
08-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Hey Ken,

That most excellent. Look at it this way. Now you can give the LOYL the Jet mini and you can upgrade. ;)
Has she even thought about trying some small turnings of any sort yet?

Grandparents again....wow....Congrats to you all!!!!!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2006, 11:18 AM
My wife ...........I would like to get her into turning.....I don't know......she's a little shy about fast moving things and sharp devices. I hope to entice her into it but..........she does a lot of craft things.....I might get her into embellishing some of my turnings ......I plan on trying to get her to turn.

She did recently, however, bring up and discuss outfitting my shop with dust collection, an air filter, a bandsaw, a bigger jointer and a bigger lathe. It's in the future but not too distant.

All this is dependent on my getting around to finishing the shop. Of course, I'd have to give up some turning time to finish the shop.......:D

Andy Hoyt
08-26-2006, 11:48 AM
The mental image of a couple of ladies in flowery dresses and summer bonnets (ala Hyancith Bucket) scarffing up spin crack road kill is just too cool.

And... Come on Sharon - git-r-done:D

glenn bradley
08-26-2006, 12:20 PM
LOML has scored a couple good raodside wood gloats for me as well. Ain't she grand? ;-)

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 1:14 PM
It's called "bowls on the hoof" and when you get the LOYL on-board for spotting, you can find double the amount! :D :D :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-26-2006, 2:36 PM
Priceless, KEN.

That is MY KIND of Wife!

Bruce

Actually mine is not quite there yet, but VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY close.

Scott Donley
08-26-2006, 4:21 PM
Life is good in Idaho ;)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-26-2006, 4:31 PM
Sounds like great days.

I'll also put a plug in here for my lovely wife, it was her that asked the foreman of the demolition crew if I could come and get a few pieces of wood from that demo site.......... you know, my Logging in Tokyo thing..... :rolleyes: :)

Yep, all her fault that I know own three chainsaws !!:D