PDA

View Full Version : How much is a James Krenov plane worth?

Martin Shupe
08-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Go to "the auction site", and do a seach on James Krenov. He is apparently selling wooden block planes for astounding prices.

Oh, you have to look under "completed auctions".

I wasn't planning on bidding on it, but watched it to see how high it would go.

Chuck Nickerson
08-25-2006, 11:44 PM
from Deneb's handtool class. Well this auction explored the limits of what I won't spend. I've printed it out for the next time my girlfriend harumphs abount my spending $475 for the L-N #8.

Roger Bell
08-25-2006, 11:49 PM
The value of these planes is entirely due to the fact that Mr. Krenov himself is making them, that the production is probably very limited, and the buyer has a chance to own something "somewhat affordable" made by Mr. K. This is really not an unusual phenomenon for any item made or owned by someone famous or well respected. I wonder how much a block plane owned by Jimmy Carter or Elvis might fetch? I recall bidding a few hundred some years ago on a blockplane made by the Roycrofters.....didnt get it and probably just as well.....but the rarity and the provenance of the tool commanded the price.

I think that another motivation for a potential buyer might be the opportunity to assist Mr. K to continue to earn a living...since apparently he does not produce furniture anymore. Now perhaps if he produces a plane a week for sale for the next couple of years, the prices will drop enough where a few of the rest of us might end up with one.

Try buying one of his furniture pieces. The market speaks for itself. You can buy other planes nearly identical in style and perhaps of comparable quality from unknown makers for next to nothing.

Lee DeRaud
08-25-2006, 11:58 PM
Huh...I wondered about this very question awhile back (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38592) ...guess I have an answer now.

Martin Shupe
08-26-2006, 12:03 AM
from Deneb's handtool class. Well this auction explored the limits of what I won't spend. I've printed it out for the next time my girlfriend harumphs abount my spending $475 for the L-N #8.

Hi Chuck, good to hear from you. Yes, well above my limit as well. Makes the LN's look inexpensive by comparison.

Roger, I am not sure that JK needs the cash, or his son-in-law, who appears to be running the auctions. Yes, I realize why they cost so much, but for $1200, they could look a little nicer than this one does. Heck, it didn't even have a Hock blade in it! I thought it was funny that one guy retracted his bid for that reason. Steve Knight makes some planes that look beautiful and probably cut wood just as nice or better, and his are actually affordable! (Not that I have any.)

I just thought it was interesting to see what someone will pay, and I am sure his furniture is worth big bucks, too.

Mike Wenzloff
08-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Hi Martin, price is relative. The amount charged by Jim for his cabinets was below what some students wanted to try/do sell theirs for. This was a source of friction within the school.

That the man is remaining active despite not being able to continue building the cabinets is wonderful. That the plane opened and sold is a plus.

Take care, Mike

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
08-26-2006, 12:10 AM
I have two of Steve Knight's planes and they are quite wonderful.

I can't see paying $1200 for a Krenov myself, but it is a chance to own a piece of history from a noted planemaker who doesn't have a whole lot of time left to make planes, you know?

Zahid Naqvi
08-26-2006, 1:20 AM
If I could afford it I wouldn't even think twice about it. I understand that there are other planes of better quality out there, but James Krenov is a legend and I would happily pay that (if I could) out of respect and appreciation for the man and his contribution to his craft.

Mark Singer
08-26-2006, 1:48 AM
I think you buy it as a piece of art....you should use it....but it is a rare and special piece and it is hard to value something like this.....there are awful paintings for a lot more money and hotel rooms for more.....now where is my Opus I and the beluga caviar:confused:

Derek Cohen
08-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I think that most miss the point when they look at one of JK's planes and comment that it is unfinished or poorly made or not made as nicely as one of Steves ...

There is a freedom in these planes. For JK the only thing that mattered was the performance. Looks are irrelevant. Some woodworkers love to work their tools, love the looks of the tools, admire their tools ... For JK all that matters is the Work in Progress, and the plane is just the means to an end.

The true value of these planes lies not in the price obtained at auction, and not in the value to a collector (although this is why they will be purchased). The true value lies in what the plane represents.

Regards from Perth

Derek

skip coyne
08-26-2006, 2:57 PM
"A thing is worth whatever the buyer will pay for it." --Publilius Syrus: "Sententiae" ca. 50 B.C.

Javier Gonzalez
08-26-2006, 7:43 PM
I read (I think it was in a FW article/interview) where he said that making them is a
simple process once you grab the basics and then said that he would never be
interested in making one for selling. But what the heck, there's no sin in changing one's
mind. I think it's a good investment, especially if it's a limited run.

John Shuk
08-26-2006, 8:46 PM
I had the idea that these were planes from Krenov's collection of what I assume are his users. That would make the plane worth much more to me than if it were one that he merely made for sale.

Martin Shupe
08-26-2006, 8:56 PM
I had the idea that these were planes from Krenov's collection of what I assume are his users. That would make the plane worth much more to me than if it were one that he merely made for sale.

That was the idea I got as well, and I agree. I just didn't think it would go that high.

Javier Gonzalez
08-26-2006, 9:07 PM
I like that cocobolo one he built shown in the Handplane Book. Something about it's simple
crude,bandsawed look as opposed to polished plane appealed to me. He takes alot of
pride in his work and these wouldn't be of any lesser quality than the ones he built for
himself.

Clinton Findlay
08-27-2006, 12:18 AM
I thought that I might like one just because it allows me to have some form of connection to a man that has inspired me and who I have a lot of respect for.
I didn't think that I would be able to buy one though, as I was sure that the 'name' would set a very high price.
I hope that he makes 5 a day for the next few years, as the price might go down to something sensible. :p

Javier Gonzalez
08-27-2006, 3:41 PM
I thought that I might like one just because it allows me
to have some form of connection to a man that has inspired me
and who I have a lot of respect for.

I can relate to that. I had no interest in woodworking until I accidentally glanced at
"the Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" in the bookstore one day and I was fascinated
with what I saw.I could see myself buying one (if I could hide the price tag from my
wife).hehehe

Christof Grohs
04-27-2008, 8:10 AM
Has anyone else here at SMC purchased a JK plane?

Derek Cohen
04-27-2008, 8:21 AM
http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20James%20Krenov%20Smoother.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Casey Gooding
04-27-2008, 8:58 AM
I have one Krenov made for me a few months ago. It's as good a smoothing plane as I've ever used. As others have stated, his planes do look a bit crude. However, they are very comfortable and work like a dream.
My particular plane is make from Mesquite. It's heavy, dense and has the benefit of smelling good

rick fulton
04-29-2008, 1:13 AM
After reading Derek's review on the JK plane last year I immediately shot off an email to Britta and James pleading for one of his planes. Why?

I feel that we all owe a lot to James; particularly hobbyist woodworkers. Krenov points out in “The Impractical Cabinetmaker”, that the leisure-time exploits of modern man has allowed the merging of the skill of the craftsman, gifts of the artist, and attention to detail of the techno-geek to create works that are functional, beautiful, and of uncompromising quality.

His books also cover the psychological benefits of working with wood. He strays away from all the other tip and a technique type books and leads you down a path where you feel it is OK to enjoy just sitting in your shop with a cup of coffee, looking at your wood stash and thinking about all the possibilities. You don't necessarily need a plan to build something great. Sometimes all it takes is a beautiful piece of wood; then the other proportions and plans will unfold from that.

His books do cover tips, tools, and techniques; but nothing more than is needed for building unique and simple, one-of-a-kind designs.

I would have loved to take some of his classes. Owning one of his hand made planes is as close as I'll ever get.

rick

Terry Bigelow
04-29-2008, 8:59 AM
I read "the impractical cabinetmaker" and "a cabinetmaker's notebook" basically from cover to cover a couple of months ago. I'm now reading "the fine art of cabinetmaking" and just ordered "worker in wood". I can't get enough of the stuff. I know this philisophical attitude towards woodworking isn't for everyone but it certainly appeals to me. Rick, I thought you summed it up fairly well:
His books also cover the psychological benefits of working with wood. He strays away from all the other tip and a technique type books and leads you down a path where you feel it is OK to enjoy just sitting in your shop with a cup of coffee, looking at your wood stash and thinking about all the possibilities. You don't necessarily need a plan to build something great. Sometimes all it takes is a beautiful piece of wood; then the other proportions and plans will unfold from that All I can say is both his work and his words inspire me to take my time and enjoy the journey through each piece rather than rushing for the end destination. And I would be honored to have one of his planes.

John Dykes
04-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I read (I think it was in a FW article/interview) where he said that making them is a simple process once you grab the basics and then said that he would never be interested in making one for selling.

Yes, I'm aware of that article, and he's also stated this in his... "unique" way on several other occassions.

I'm sure to get my SMC member card revoked, but Krenov's work doesn't necessarily inspire me. Nor does his teaching resonate much in me... Krenov's gift to me, is the art; the love of wood. Knowing that wood isn't just a dead tree. He worked for the sake of the art - for the sake of the wood, and not for money.

No, nothing wrong with changing your mind or trying to make a buck... but I've read and followed Krenov for many years. Wouldn't have expected this from him... to be blunt. Unfortunately dulled the mystique a bit...

Respectfully,
- jbd

Richard Magbanua
04-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Hello everyone!
It seems some have trouble reconciling the differences between consumer goods, art, and historical significance. I'm sure these planes in use aren't a big deal compared to other quality planes. But I doubt much was published about the paintbrushes used by Van Gogh or Picasso. And for many years during and after his life, Van Gogh inspired very few. How much do you think one paint brush, much less a sketch from these guys would fetch on that other site today?
I guess what I'm saying is that these items should be viewed in a whole different context. For many, Krenov may be among the most significant woodworkers of our time along with Sam Maloof, Tage Frid and Norm Abram just to mention a few. They are important figures in our lives in that they have inspired, taught, and shown either you or someone else who has passed those things on to you.
Someday, we could find one of Norm's tool belts for auction, but I'm sure the Smithsonian already has dibs on his whole workshop ;)
Just something to think about. Thanks for the thoughtful discussion!

John Thompson
04-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Are the planes worth that kind of money from a stand-point of mechanical excellence? Probably not as a Williams & Clark can be had for less. I see restored "Muscle Cars" go for well over $100,000 that cost about $3000 the day they were purchased off the show-room floor. And be prepared to change rings every 50,000 miles as the technology was not as good in those days.

Are they worth it from a thing of beauty compared to say a Marcou? Probably not.. They are plain and simple and you could build your own if you are so inspired.

Personally.. I purchased his book in the early 70's and loved the philosophy portion.. but I don't find his skills or finished work any better than I could find at a local Guild. He was at the right place at the right time, IMO.

But are they worth it to those that see him on a pedestal and visioned as a Saint of Woodworking? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay and some are willing to pay from that angle.

Just a wild guess.. but I would venture to guess the man has no pension as this type of work doesn't cover one. The planes seem to be pushed by his son-in-law and daughter so my image is not tarnished on his character.

Frankly.. considering he is nearly blind at this point and probably only draws SS (?)... beats heck out of sitting on a street corner and selling pencils out of a tin cup to supplement eating every day! Why not?

Just my thoughts...

Sarge..

Steve Pirrelli
04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
After reading Derek's review on the JK plane last year I immediately shot off an email to Britta and James pleading for one of his planes. Why?

I feel that we all owe a lot to James; particularly hobbyist woodworkers. Krenov points out in “The Impractical Cabinetmaker”, that the leisure-time exploits of modern man has allowed the merging of the skill of the craftsman, gifts of the artist, and attention to detail of the techno-geek to create works that are functional, beautiful, and of uncompromising quality.

Hey Rick I got one of those about a year back. Did I pay too much? It's about the price of a LN
bench plane. But I admit i bought it cause he made it. No regrets. By the way i have no idea
what kind of wood that is, mine is the same. Is that zebrawood?

rick fulton
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Steve.

Unfortunately I do not know what wood mine is made of either. Although I'm sure it is not a wood I have worked with before. The figure is not as pronounced as zebrawood. I may take it with me next time I go to Tropical Exotic Hardwoods ( http://www.anexotichardwood.com/ ) and compare it to some of their stock.

Its a great little plane, and the price isn't all that high to warrant such a fuss. My son will probably sell it and my L-N #9 for 75 cents at a garage sale after I'm gone anyway.
rick

j.e.mike tobey
05-02-2008, 7:18 AM
I believe that Mr. Krenov is losing eyesight. These are tools he can make in spite of that. Fame does not always provide financial comfort late in life. The planes are made and sold within that context.mt

derek sikes
10-25-2009, 8:03 AM
Anyone know what a JK plane is worth now that he is no longer with us?

David Keller NC
10-25-2009, 2:32 PM
Anyone know what a JK plane is worth now that he is no longer with us?

More than when he was alive and still making them. However, in this case you've a bit of a problem. To my knowledge, Krenov did not sign his planes, so selling one as made by him will require iron-clad provenance in writing, at least if you wish to sell it as a collector's item.

Casey Gooding
10-25-2009, 4:03 PM
To my knowledge, Krenov did not sign his planes, so selling one as made by him will require iron-clad provenance in writing, at least if you wish to sell it as a collector's item.

Dave,
He signed mine JK in what appears to be a Sharpie on the front of the plane.

Rick & Steve-The plane in the pic looks to be Mesquite, just like mine. It seems to have been his wood of choice for planes the last few years of his life.

Steve knight
10-25-2009, 5:26 PM
I believe that Mr. Krenov is losing eyesight. These are tools he can make in spite of that. Fame does not always provide financial comfort late in life. The planes are made and sold within that context.mt

thats for sure. more power to him to get as much as he can out of them. I used his idea's when I started making planes.

Eric Brown
10-25-2009, 7:58 PM
Perhaps it was not a question about what the plane was worth but instead how you could show the man how grateful you are. No different than paying too much for boy or girl scout cookies. Generosity is good for the soul I think they say. May he rest in peace along with Sam Maloof, Tage Frid and the others who laid the foundation for this woodworking revival.

Eric