PDA

View Full Version : What to make with 6x6x2 blanks?

Ben Rafael
08-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I have a bunch of blanks(various woods) that are about 6x6 and 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick. They seem a bit shallow to make bowls with. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Myrel Willeford
08-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Small dishs for candy or to put business cards in, saucers, if the grain and color match a lidded containers, coasters, cut it up for pen blanks, or bottle stoppers, glue it together to make a larger object, make a bunch of small goblets or shot glasses. :D

Jim Becker
08-25-2006, 10:15 PM
You can do very nice bowls with those blanks if you use a waste block when mounting them. It lets you use the full depth of the "good wood" while still allowing you to securely use a chuck or faceplate to hold them.

Lee DeRaud
08-25-2006, 11:18 PM
What Jim said. Almost all of the bowls I've been making are from standard 8/4 lumber.

(Ok I admit it, I'm weird, I like turning dry wood.)

Ben Rafael
08-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Lee, do you have any pics of the bowls that you made that size. I'm curious as to what kind of curves you could do with so little depth.

Lee DeRaud
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Lee, do you have any pics of the bowls that you made that size. I'm curious as to what kind of curves you could do with so little depth.Just do an advanced search in this forum with my name in the 'threads started by' field.

Corey Hallagan
08-26-2006, 1:08 AM

Me too then, that's all I turn as well! Just no bowls :cool:

Corey

Jason Hallowell
08-26-2006, 2:49 AM
I recently came across several birch blanks matching that description. I ended up glueing two of them together with a piece of 3/4" walnut between them for contrast. I made two bowls like this and they came out great.

Dennis Daudelin
08-26-2006, 7:12 AM
Blocks like this are a great building block. You can laminate layers on them or add segmented rings to them. I love to create little bowls like this as people love them!

Here is one example, it started with a maple block and then got a segmented ring of pink ivory and yellowheart and was finally topped off with a ring of bloodwood. The pink ivory came from pen blanks!

http://www.daudelin.net/assets/segmented/tn_maple-pinkivory-yellowheart-bloodwood.jpg

Bowls like this are fast to make and turn! And they aren't your everyday single wood bowl...

Dennis

George Conklin
08-26-2006, 9:56 AM

I don't have any choice. There's not a whole lot of "woods" around here:D .

Michael Cody
08-26-2006, 7:28 PM
I have a bunch of blanks(various woods) that are about 6x6 and 2 to 2 1/2 inches thick. They seem a bit shallow to make bowls with. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Besides sending them to me:eek:, I suggest turned square candle holders. IE I make a shallow square wing bowl with a raised center for 2-3" candles.. they look very nice. Another use is turn off center a small depression and make gentlemans jewelry boxes.. I have one on my wifes dresser I put my keyes, change, etc.. into each night. I routered a small slot to hold my glasses and another wider one for my watch. Works nice.

Make shallow lidded vessels work nice too. Can even use one piece for the bottom and turn the top out of another... nice candy dishes.

Jim King
08-26-2006, 8:06 PM
There must be a 1000 ways to glue up scrap to make beautiful turnings.

Mark Pruitt
08-26-2006, 9:18 PM
There must be a 1000 ways to glue up scrap to make beautiful turnings.
Jim, do you have a shot of that vase turned 90 degress to the left? (with the lighter colored strips facing the camera?) That is a beautiful vase!!!
Mark

Ken Salisbury
08-27-2006, 11:15 AM
In order to be a bono-fide member of SMC you must use a real first and last name. Please PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with that information and she will update your registration accordingly.

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Jim King
08-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Mark: I found a photo.

Mark Rios
08-27-2006, 12:01 PM

HOLY BUNSCRATCHERS..... that's a nice vase, Jim. VERY striking.

Ben Rafael
08-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Jim, that vase is inspiring.

Mark Pruitt
08-28-2006, 9:06 PM
Outstanding! Thanks Jim.
Mark