PDA

View Full Version : Panel Rip Saw Question

Chuck Nickerson
08-25-2006, 7:53 PM
It's time for me to pick up some nice panel saws (crosscut and rip). I'm looking at Wenzloff and Pax. For one or two saws, the price difference is not an issue. For the rip saw, Wenzloff maxes at a length of 22", where the Pax maxes at 28". If I go with the Wenzloff, will I miss the extra six inches?

Marc Waldbillig
08-26-2006, 2:45 AM
Hi Chuck,

There is a difference in throw length and you should buy the length you need. Best you talk to Mike and he will make you the saw right the way it fits your needs. There is a big difference in quality you can't always detect only by reading the specifications on the homepages. I have two saws made by this gentleman sawmaker and they are the best I have seen and sawed with.

Regards, Marc

Maurice Metzger
08-26-2006, 8:28 AM
Chuck, I'm confused - I thought the term panel saw meant a saw that was smaller than a full size saw:

http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/handsaws/handsaws.htm#SawTypes

So by definition Mike W's panel saw will be shorter. But maybe the term is more generic than I thought.

Maurice

Chuck Nickerson
08-27-2006, 1:30 AM
I thought 'panel' was the overall style; I didn't know it also implied a range of lengths. That's one of the many reasons I like SMC.

Mike Wenzloff
08-27-2006, 1:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

Historically, the term "panel" saw was applied to longer saws than what we commonly apply the label to today. Of the six saws made by Kenyon in the Seaton chest, two were 26" in length. The cross cut is termed a "pannel" saw. The other, a half-rip.

I have a couple Spear & Jacksons from the mid-1900s which were called "handsaws." This term was mostly applied to only cross cut saws over a certain length. The one I have has a 30" blade length, the other a 28" blade length. Currently in a store still selling saws of say 26" length, distinction may not be made between a rip or cross cut and are simply called a "handsaw."

But the reality seems to be that either term [panel/handsaw] was loosly applied based on different attributes, such as TPI, tooth style and length by various inventories. As well, Europe and the US have several divergent handsaw terms..."Sash" saw is not one very common anymore. Disston simply called backed-saws over certain length and handle style [closed] a tenon saw.

So, I obviously follow a fairly later definition than when some of my vintage saws were made. The ones from the Civil War forward [or thereabouts] used terms similar to Ralph's web site which was referenced.

Well good night All...Mike