PDA

View Full Version : Older 14" Rockwell Bandsaw dilemma

Dennis Reardon
08-25-2006, 7:52 PM
On the way home tonight I stopped off at a moving sale. In the garage was an older Rockwell 14" bandsaw with a sign that said "Not for Sale". :mad: I was kind of bummed and I guess the look on my face said so because the lady running the sale asked me if I was truly interested in buying it. I told her I was as long as I could afford it. She got on the phone with the owner of the saw and I talked to him for a few minutes. He would like $150 for the saw.

I don't know if that is a good deal or not.

The good; I did check the wheels for coplanerarity using 4 foot level for a straight edge and they appeared to be very close, the current blade seems to very sharp and in good condition, the rubber on both wheels seems to be ok although I really don't know what I am to look for, it has an enclosed stand, and overall condition seems to be used but not abused. Oh and btw the owner said that it was approximately 15 or 20 years old.

The bad, :mad: or at least worrisome to me, the motor has been replaced with a chicago brand 1 hp unit. I'm not sure how powerfull a bandsaw motor needs to be but it seems smallish to me. The saw does not have a switch the guy simply plugs the cord in when he needs to use it. I can't imagine installing a switch is that hard but I honestly do not know. :confused:

I know there are a lot of knowledgable creekers out there who can tell me what more , if anything, I need to inspect, and if the price is even reasonable. If the price seems feasible I will go over tomorrow and plug the thing to see how it runs, otherwise I will pass.

Dennis

CPeter James
08-25-2006, 8:47 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. Most of those only had a 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor to start with so the 1 hp is a upgrade. It would be old enough to be a made in USA model which is a plus. Any parts you might need are available.

CPeter

Matt Meiser
08-25-2006, 9:05 PM
Sounds good to me too. Actually it sounds a lot like mine, which I paid something like $200 for. Chicago Electric is Harbor Freight, but that's what I put on my last bandsaw and it worked well enough. From what I've read, their motors are either good or bad, and they go quickly if they are bad.

I think my saw has a 3/4 HP motor which has been fine. I replaced the original switch with a Rockler router table switch mounted to the riser block for easier access. The factory switch position on mine was a pain.

Russ Massery
08-25-2006, 9:19 PM
Dennis, I have what sounds like the same saw. Mine was built in 63'. My saw only has a 1/2hp. motor. For a $150.00 I feel it's well worth that....

Jim Becker
08-25-2006, 9:28 PM
I am in agreement with the others...it's a nice saw and at $150, a good buy, even if it has a bum motor. You can easily replace the motor as part of your reconditioning. A similar saw new would run you many hundreds more...even from the "low cost tool places"...

Bruce Page
08-25-2006, 9:29 PM
Dennis, $150 is a good deal. Put a switch on it, even a simple toggle switch, if you do buy it!

Joe Mioux
08-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Ditto to what everyone else said....

Jeff Horton
08-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Have you got the hint? :confused:

Bought it yet? :)

Dennis Reardon
08-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Well everyone seems to agree. I told the guy I would call him tomorrow morning and give him my final decision. Instead I think I'll just go outside empty out the stuff in the back of my truck.....got to make room for the new toy tomorrow morning eh! :D

Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions. I was most concerned about the motor I guess after shopping for a TS, ( I bought the shop fox since it had a longer warranty compared to grizzly) I just have 3 hp. on the brain. I will try to remember to stop off at my brother's house first and borrow the digital camera so you all can see my newest aquisition.

Dennis
(still wishing I had a snappy quote here)

Steve Clardy
08-26-2006, 12:17 AM
Yep. Good price. You got it home yet?

Vaughn McMillan
08-26-2006, 4:00 AM
Yep. Good price. You got it home yet?
Yeah, it's Saturday now. Is it in the truck yet? :rolleyes: ;)

Adding a switch will be easy, and regardless of the condition of the blade, you'll likely want to buy others for different purposes. (At least bandsaw blades aren't usually as pricy as table saw blades.)

And BTW, my 14" Shop Fox bandsaw has a 1HP motor on it. I think you'll do just fine. :D

- Vaughn

John Bailey
08-26-2006, 5:10 AM
Dennis,

Once you get it home, call Iturra Designs: 1-866-883-8064. Their catalogue is more like a textbook for those saws, or any bandsaw. Looks to me like you got a winner there.

John

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-26-2006, 5:43 AM
I'd have bought it in a heart beat! :D

I hope you get it, and if you want a really good book on setting up and using your band saw, I'll recommend;

"The Bandsaw Book"
by Lonnie Bird
ISBN: 1561582891

$13.57 at Amazon.

Oh yeah, pictures are required :D

Cheers!

Guy Germaine
08-26-2006, 5:55 AM
Tell you what Dennis. Pick it up, pay the guy his $150 and then come immediately over to my house, and I'll give you $200 for it! Save to the trouble of having buyers remorse. I think it's a great buy! Go for it!

Frank Guerin
08-26-2006, 9:28 AM
Thief, thief

Dennis Reardon
08-26-2006, 1:10 PM
Howdy everyone. The saw is now safely ensconced in the back of my pickup. My brother will be over later on today to help me unload and set up the saw, as well as bring his digital camera. I took the saw off the pedestal to load it up and the seller was nice enough to help me load up. It turns out that he is a guitar builder of some reknown. His name is Lynn Elsworth. He gave a nice chunk of spalted maple and some slices of cherry as a parting gift. Pics will soon follow.

You know I'm about half afraid to pinch myself.

Dennis

Dennis Reardon
08-26-2006, 2:17 PM
Here is the newest toy to arrive in my tiny workspace. :D As you can see it is full of sawdust and I believe it may be missing a door on the pedestal and one bolt, :confused: but I will defer to creekers who are more knowledgeable than myself. Enjoy the show please feel free to comment as you like and of course to offer any suggestions.:rolleyes:

Stu, I just ordered the book from Amazon thanks for the help and btw I am envious of the size of your "dungeon" My single car apt. garage is 9.5 x 18.5 if only it was about 2 feet wider eh!

John I will those folks a call on Monday, thanks for the great tip.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000516.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000513.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000517.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000519.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000520.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000521.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/ddmann/IM000518.jpg

Bruce Page
08-26-2006, 2:47 PM
Dennis, it looks exactly like my old 1982 Rockwell except mine was an open stand. You’ll want to get a cover of some kind over the bottom wheel quickly. You wouldn’t want to break a blade and have it come out across your kneecaps! :eek: You may be able to order one from Delta.

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 2:58 PM
Jeepers...creepers... :D ...you really did steal that thing! Very nice saw. Congratulations!

Matt Meiser
08-26-2006, 3:11 PM
Looks just like mine. The riser block kit for the current saws fits perfect. If you are thinking about a riser block, do it before investing in blades.

I got all my blades from Highland Hardware. I have three of their house brand blades and a Timber Slicer for resawing. They seem to bee of good quality to me.

08-26-2006, 4:20 PM
Jeepers that is NICE for $150! :cool:

I think that with some good old elbow grease and maybe a few new parts, you will be good to go!

Check stuff like bearings and clean the heck out of everything, lube what needs lubing too! :D

That book will have you cutting like a pro in no time flat!

Heck of a deal, even if you were to spend another $100 on pieces and new blades etc, you still got one heck of a deal!

Thanks for posting the pics and to your brother for the help and the digital camera!

Cheers! :)

Russ Massery
08-26-2006, 8:38 PM
Looks great, $150 that was a steal. Looks a little newer then mine. If you look above the serial number tag, there should be a casting date should give a idea of the date of manufacture. Other then the Rockwell emblem it look exactly like mine. It's great old saw should serve you well mine has......Congrats

Dennis Reardon
08-26-2006, 8:54 PM
Russ the casting date is 9-30-76

Randy Moore
08-26-2006, 8:57 PM
Thief Thief:eek:
THIEF:eek: THIEF:eek:

Did you give the a HUG?
Good looking GLOAT!!:D

Bruce Wrenn
08-26-2006, 9:49 PM
:oI see that your old, I mean new saw, has that aggervating short tension knob. Enco (use-enco.com 800-873-3626) has their handwheels on sale thru Sept 28. The # for the 4" one is DX240-0676 ($9.39) and revolving handle DX990-3298 ($5.99) to fit same. Take a piece of 3/8" rod from Borg and thread one end with a 3/8-16 die for about two- three inches. Using grinder, round over end of rod that will bear against casting of saw. Remove existing tension knob from saw, and replace it with threaded rod. Measure and mark a point on the rod that is above the upper wheel cover. Cut rod here and add handwheel with revolving handle. Makes a very good spinner for tensioning saw. Less than $20.00. If you are thinking about adding the riser block to your saw, you may want to hold off on purchasing many blades as they won't fit the saw with riser block attached.

Russ Massery
08-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I'd have agree with that! The short knob is a real PITA.:eek: I bought a pair of new tires and new tension spring.When I bought 9 years ago. BTW the casting date on mine is 10-6-62. (my third birthday) They change very little if anything up till yours.

Dennis Reardon
08-31-2006, 8:13 PM
John

It took a few days to get ahold of Mr. Iturra but I finally connected earlier today and the catalog is on the way. He took the time to ask me which saw I found and what I paid for it. Then he said study the catalog for a weekend or two and then call him again. Apparently he feels my saw may need a little help.:rolleyes:

BTW Stu according to Amazon my book should be arriving next wednesday.

Dennis

Mike Cutler
08-31-2006, 8:45 PM
John

It took a few days to get ahold of Mr. Iturra but I finally connected earlier today and the catalog is on the way. He took the time to ask me which saw I found and what I paid for it. Then he said study the catalog for a weekend or two and then call him again. Apparently he feels my saw may need a little help.:rolleyes:

Dennis

I don't know about help, but it may be in need of some tuning up.

That's a nice saw you got there. Basic tried and true design of the 14" bandsaw. A riser kit, some Carter guides, and a new Iturra spring. Add a 1/2" Woodslicer, Tri-Master, or Timberwolf blade and you'll be all set for resawing and veneer making. Carter also makes a retrofit quick release tension device for your saw.

You got a good deal on that saw. The 1hp motor is a bonus that you will really appreciate one day very soon.;)

08-31-2006, 9:14 PM
John

Dennis

That is great news Dennis, you will have both the catalouge and the Bandsaw Book to upgrade and polish that little gem you have.

Don't forget pictures when you do get some tuning and such done, first cuts etc ;) :D

Cheers!

Rob Diz
08-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Color me green with envy.

I have been on a hunt for a deal like you have for a year. I'm still waiting.

Enjoy the BS

Dennis Reardon
08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
Rob the weird part is how I found it. I had helped a friend of mine finish installing some siding on his garage earlier in the day. He is not a woodworker and he takes pleasure in harrasing me for spending my cash on tools that, since I am a hobbyist, I don't get to use as much as I would like. At any rate he asks me what is the next tool I am hunting down. I told him that I was hoping to find either a DP or a BS, moreso the BS but I would take what I could find. So I am driving home bone tired and ready to hit the shower when I saw the moving sale sign. What the hell I thought. The rest as they say is history.

Don't give up the search Rob it has taken me nearly three years of constantly stopping at every garage and moving sale I see. I have managed to pick up a few odds and ends this way but this is my first real score. Trust me, when you find your deal everyone here will cheer for you.

Dennis