PDA

View Full Version : Custom Built-in Cabinets

Frank Snyder
08-25-2006, 6:38 PM
This was another project I snuck in last year. I friend of my wife's wanted some built-in cabinets in her mudroom and she had an inspiration picture she gave me, but she couldn't find anyone who could duplicate it. It had inset doors and drawers with beaded face frames, and a sitting bench. I added the arched ceiling and tied it all into the room with some crown molding. The carcasses were made of 3/4" Birch plywood, the face frames were Poplar and the drawer bodies were solid Birch. I used an MDF beadboard panel product that worked really well for the panels.

The "before" shot...

My outdoor workshop and me going overboard with the biscuits and pocket screws...

After installation but before painting (the homeowner's husband did the painting)...

continued...

Frank Snyder
08-25-2006, 6:40 PM
A few more shots and the final product...

Jim Becker
08-25-2006, 7:08 PM
That looks "comfy" and practical, Frank! Nice work...

Gail O'Rourke
08-25-2006, 9:00 PM
Frank, great project, one that could go in any home. I took a look at your case construction and you could hold up a house on that! I like the arch and curved ceiling in the window seat, nice touch.

Art Mulder
08-25-2006, 9:30 PM
Looks great, but someone's got to say it... Biscuits AND Pocket Holes?

Are you a belt-and-suspenders guy, Frank? :D

Peter Pedisich
08-25-2006, 9:48 PM
Frank,

I thought for a minute, just a minute, of showing my wife all the fine work you do and then thought better of it.
I admire your skill and your ability to get a lot done, all while incorporating good design and details.
But if my wife saw what you can accomplish, I would be in deep, deep horse hockey.:D

Thanks for sharing!

Pete

Frank Snyder
08-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Are you a belt-and-suspenders guy, Frank?

Okay, Art...you caught me. I'm actually Urkel in real life.;)

Yeah..I know, it looks like overkill, but these were large and extremely heavy carcasses and I didn't want them to rack (or crack) on me while transporting or installing them. I underbuilt a large knotty pine armoire for myself many years back and the carcass finally broke at the joints from moving it around so much. I used a few biscuits and some cleats and screws thinking that was all I needed. It apparently wasn't enough, so now I error on the side of over caution. Pocket screws probably would've been enough, but I like using them with biscuits since they aid with alignment and help prevent the pieces from drifting when I tighten the screws.

Thanks again, everyone, for the gracious comments. I'll ease up on posting past projects for a while :rolleyes:.