PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Dave Anderson

Lou Morrissette
08-25-2006, 4:05 PM
Nice review of Dave's newest creation, a real purty looking birdcage awl in october Popular Woodworking. I have not seen it in person but if it's like the other tools Dave has designed, it should be a winner. Congrats, Dave.

Lou

Mike Henderson
08-25-2006, 7:11 PM
I haven't see it either but I'd like to offer my congratulations, also. It's always nice to get published. Perhaps someone who gets the magazine can post a scan of the awl.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
08-25-2006, 7:47 PM
Well, I haven't gotten my copy yet, but here is one from Dave's site, in Snakewood:

http://www.chestertoolworks.com/images/SnakewoodBCawl1.jpg

Dave's website:

http://www.chestertoolworks.com/

Take care, Mike

Alan Turner
08-26-2006, 6:01 AM
Dave,

Nice to know a famous toolmaker. Congrats.

Dave Anderson NH
08-26-2006, 10:28 AM
I knew there was going to be a review of the Birdcage Awl in one of the upcoming issues of Popular Woodworking, I just didn't know when. When my copy of the magazine arrived a couple of days ago I was surprised to see the review, I thought it would be in October or November. It's a fun tool to make though I never expect to make any huge number of them. Most folks don't have any idea of what it's use is.

Thanks again to all of you.

Ian Gillis
08-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Hi

Very nice tool. Where does the term 'birdcage' come from? I was picturing a wrought iron type birdcage and wondering how that would work for an awl.

Thanks

IG

harry strasil
08-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Birdcage Awl - Common term for a Birdcage Makers Awl.

Birdcages which needed to be light in weight used to be made of very thin strips of wood or strips of bamboo. To assemble them with fine wire or string lashing, holes needed to be made in the material, sometimes very close to the end or an edge. Normal methods of making holes in these materials had a tendency to split it and thus make the piece useless. A Birdcage Makers Awl has a fine point and sharp edges and is turned by the hand usually only a quarter turn back and forth to start and enlarge the holes needed to construct the cages. They were also used to make tapered screw starter holes by other craftsmen.

A Brad Awl has a similar use for making holes in moldings and cedar siding, but has a chisel point that would split the Birdcage material.

I hope I explained this right Dave.

Ian Gillis
08-26-2006, 2:33 PM
Thanks Jr.

Tyler Howell
08-27-2006, 12:55 AM
I Got Mine.
Picked one up from Dave himself at Bill's 5 Barns last month and is it sweet.
Used it before I even got home on my daughter's apt. "daddy do list".:cool:

Dave Anderson NH
08-27-2006, 7:30 AM
Hey Junior, You hit the nail right on the head with that explanation. The 4 tapered corners are sharp so that as the awl is twisted it cuts the wood fibers and acts like a reamer or small drill.