PDA

View Full Version : Engraving horn

Dan Hill
08-25-2006, 4:34 PM
A customer brought in a cow horn to have engraved. This is a material I have not done before. Anyone have any sugestions as to settings for a 50w laser. There is no area to practice on as it has been cut to finished size and the customer threw away the off-cuts.

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2006, 4:42 PM
Geez, Dan, why do they thow away the scraps. Like we all do cow horns every day. You could make him get another one to try, or maybe bring in a cow if you have room in the shop.:eek:

Seriously, the closest thing that's readily available is a bone, so have a nice t-bone tonight, clean it up after and experiment with that.

You might start real low, like 100 speed 10 power, and see what you get. Then increase the power by 5-10 at a time until you get a good depth.

On the actual horn start with less power than on the bone to be safe, and
again increase and run a second pass or more.

Mike Mackenzie
08-25-2006, 5:03 PM
Dan,

Horn is like joe said a lot like bone we have done cow horns before and they are very easy to mark you can easily use any power range and get a mark. if you just want a good mark use 100 power and 50-70 speed. OH and by the way IT STINKS so be prepared.

Keith Bragg
08-27-2006, 6:36 PM
Dan
I engrave Moose antler pens all the time I have 45 watt Epilog the settings I use are 50 speed 30 power. And it does stink but marks very nice. Hope it helps.

Keith Bragg