PDA

View Full Version : Needing some mobile base design help, Please.........

Mark Rios
08-25-2006, 1:48 PM
This is about a mobile base for my Unisaw.

Below is two mobile bases that are the closest things I've found to be able to try to describe what I'm looking for. Notice the angle iron(?) that the wheels are mounted to on the Shop Fox Base? I'm wanting a base that has one long piece of angle iron (as opposed to two as shown) that carries both wheels. Sort of like the wooden base in the other pic. It's a little hard to see but the single piece of wood that holds the wheels pivots up and down and is controlled by the cam lever shown. (I'm not looking for the cam thing necessarily, just the fold up concept.)

So....I'm looking for some sort of desing that has a pair of wheels, on both ends, that pivot up and down, the wheels being mounted to a steel plate or angle iron. When in the down position the plate or angle iron would, of course, need to lock in place for rolling and retract or fold up when using the saw. The angle iron would allow the 4" or 5" wheels to only raise the height of the base 3" or so off the ground. I don't think that I need more clearance than that but 3" of clearance would be minimum.

Is there an engineering designer type in the Creek that can make this work? I'd have it welded and made locally (I may even do it if I can find me a welder that won't cost me a ton of money. Boy I miss my Mig). But I would be will to pay for someone to design this for me.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks very much for your help and advice.

Mark Pruitt
08-25-2006, 2:39 PM
Mark, here is the base I have my Unisaw sitting on. I have been very pleased with it. Note that there is a lever that you can manipulate with your foot to make it incredibly easy to lift the saw for moving or lower it back onto the floor. IIRC, the one you have purchased has the long rails (?), so this base would be the best one IMHO. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=50-273

Mark

Mark Rios
08-25-2006, 2:48 PM
Thanks Mark. I should have been more clear, thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I actually have the mobile base for the Unisaw with the long rails and it's very similar to the one you linked.

I'm going to be replacing the long rails with some 12/30 rails so my base will be considerably shorter. In fact, I'll probably only need to support the base as the table will be pretty much the stock length.

The big thing that I need is the capacity for the larger wheels (and for them to pivot up an down) and, consequently, the larger/thicker material to support the weight and forces of rolling it in and out of my trailer and over rough terrain.

Thanks again for the link and for your response.