PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
08-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Friday August 25th, 2006

Hot dang, another work week has zipped by. Now it's time for fun and games. Or whatever.

Not sure what's on the agenda for the weekend. Maybe some golf, if it stops raining. Gotta watch the Cup race from the Bullring Saturday night. Maybe even get a chair or two dismantled for refinishing.

What you up to for the weekend? Let us know now what you have planned and then again on Monday in Dennis' accomplishment thread what you actually did.

Have a good one. Make it enjoyable and safe.

Karl

Don Baer
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I plan on spending some time assembling the desk I am working of for LOML. DIL said something about going to the zoo on Saturday so that may cut into my shop time. I also plan on watching some of the Race after church on sunday. I have a TV in the shop so I'll probuly have it on while I work out there.

Al Willits
08-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Sat have to work, then after that, the continuing story in the garage, someday I'll have enough cabinets made so I quite getting them disaster relief checks each month....it is a bit ...a...confused, in my garage right now.
I'm calling it my transition period :D

Sunday maybe a bit of Golf in the AM, then if the shebeast forgets them promised honey-do's, back out to the garage for more cleaning and cabinet making...

Have a safe and well weekend all

Al

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2006, 1:50 PM
No fun, that's for sure. My oldest daughter (26) is moving from her apartment to a townhouse, and I get to be there at 8:30am to help. It's
only a mile move but she's in Seattle so it's a good 45 minute drive to get there. And the townhome is 2 story, over the garage, so lots of stairs.

Sunday I have to come in and work to try and get caught up, this week was really busy.

Jim A. Smith
08-25-2006, 3:04 PM
Cruising, lurking, joining your forum.
Been a long time lurker as some say!

Mark Pruitt
08-25-2006, 3:05 PM
Ah...so here you are over here in OT!;) I usually find this one in General.

I'll be back at my lathe, pulverizing a few more blanks. Bought a better live center this week and am amxious to try it out.

TGIF!!!:) :) :)

Mark

Steve Clardy
08-25-2006, 3:22 PM
Think I'll work on refurbing a few planes this weekend.

Bob Childress
08-25-2006, 3:59 PM
SInce last week's kitchen tile installation I have fininshed the backsplash. So tomorrow big time grouting (did I mention I hate grouting?). :( Reinstall some kitchen drawers with new accuride full-ext side mounts. Build one or two custom base cabinet storage drawers. Mow the lawn, too--we finally got some rain.:)

Sunday, big clean up and tools back out to the shop so SWMBO can get her sun porch back.:D

Have a great weekend.

Karl Laustrup
08-25-2006, 6:00 PM
Welcome Jim. Glad you decided to join up and get involved.

Karl

W Craig Wilson
08-25-2006, 6:04 PM
Cruising, lurking, joining your forum.
Been a long time lurker as some say!

Welcome, Jim from another long time lurker.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2006, 6:23 PM
Welcome Jim.

Tomorrow I'll probably try to turn another bowl. I tried one earilier this week, but I screwed up the grind on my bowl gouge and couldn't keep it from catching and tearing the bowl from the chuck so I guess I need to fix that first. Probably ought to mow the lawn, but don't want to. Saturday evening we are supposed to go to a Toledo Mudhens game if the forcasted storms don't happen.

Ed Breen
08-25-2006, 7:26 PM
We are having a room addition to our home. At this point the room is open to the rest of the house and we are moving furniture from one place to another. The garage has turned into a dump. Hopefullt I'll get to the lathe. My daughter gave me a broken bung to be copied. Have to find some cork and turn a hunk of ash o0r oak.\
Ed;) ;)

Jim Becker
08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
It's actually raining a bit today...so...I'm going to spend some time in the shop!! Yippie!! I need to put away the lumber that I scarfed from my neighbor (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=39320) not long ago and then get back to working on my curly maple candle stand (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32449&highlight=candle). I also need to decide how to use some of that beautiful purpleheart...probably new night stands for Dr. SWMBO and I. The wide mahogany slab will likely become a nice hall table for the new foyer in the "someday to be built" addition. (Picked a contractor; now we need to figure out how to pay for it...)

Dennis Peacock
08-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Howdy Karl,

Well, besides "work" for the fulltime job, that's about all I've really been doing to the past few weeks.

I'm spending time in the shop this weekend working on some cabinets for a local youth ranch for troubled kids. The family and I have donated our time to build them as someone else has donated the materials.

Church on Sunday as I play bass again and then it will be some family time Sunday afternoon and maybe evening.

Have a great weekend!!!!

glenn bradley
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Last weekend was a scuba weekend. Ths weekend it shoptime. Hope to get the preliminary finish on the latest project so I can post some pics by next weekend.

Greg Koch
08-26-2006, 1:48 PM
I'll be finishing up the installation of my new Uniguard blade guard/splitter. I've gotten more cautous about safety, and the guard looks like it's going to work well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_Guard_2.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/Guard_2.png)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_DSC01608.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/DSC01608.png)

Rick Gibson
08-29-2006, 4:56 PM
Not a fun weekend. Went to bed Sat. night everything was fine. Apparently we had one of the worst downpours a little after midnight and my sump pump decided to quit. First place I ever had with a sump pump so wasn't expecting this. Came down into the basement early Sunday morning hoping to get an hour or so in the shop before church. WRONG :mad: Walked through the rec room into the laundry room and there it was pools of water all over the floor. Went into the shop and they were there as well, then realized the carpet in the rec room was soaked around the door to the laundry room. First thought where did all the water come from. Checked around no windows open, no water on the walls and no part of the ceiling was wet:confused:. Checked the sump hole, the water was where it normally would be if the pump was running properly. Filled the sump and the pump came on and emptied it. Oh well first priority get the water out of the shop at least no tools were damaged. Cleaned it up and went to church. Talking to one of the guys there and he informs me the sump pump I have is flaky, it's one of the upright type with the motor mounted at the top and apparently the impeller comes loose and they will work sometimes and sometimes they won't. He was right I played with it and sometimes it pumped water and sometimes it didn't motor ran though.

Out to buy a new sump pump (better one this time) and started ripping the carpet out of the rec room today. While it was wet on top for only the first couple feet in the room it was wet on the bottom about half way through the room. Don't need any toxic mold growing under there get it out and get rid of it. Checked the insurance $1K deductible, I can pull the carpet remove the old tiles (they are only sitting there I think the glue bond gave up years ago) and put down peel and stick for about $200. Another $200 for the sump pump and fittings puts me $600 ahead of going through the insurance. Now if I can just convince the wife to let me have the $600 for new shop tools this could come out ok. If nothing else at least I get a small motor for the shop.