PDA

View Full Version : Another painted door drying rack question

Rob Diz
08-25-2006, 9:37 AM
I will be spraying cabinet doors with paint, and realize that I should make a drying rack. I am tight on space (and cheap), so I will either have to make something that is pretty much disposible, or can be folded flat for long term storage (when my wife will allow me the time for my next cabinet project).

I have seen a few designs on this site that are essentially a center support like a 2x4, a base (sometimes on wheels?) and angled supports of some type.

I was wondering what inexpensive/quick/removable options you all have used for the rods. Dowels seem like an expensive option - do you use ply scrap nailed on, some form of rigid conduit, pvc etc??

I'm looking for a quck and inexpensive way to get this done w/out spreading the doors and drawer fronts all over my floor on a bed of nails.

Thanks!

Phil Phelps
08-25-2006, 9:54 AM
...is to use plywood 4"x4" blocks with brads running through. You can paint the back first and flip over and do the face. The brad points will never be seen. Anytime you can spray a door laying flat, will be much better than one standing. Mainly, because you can apply really wet coats without fear of runs.

Jamie Buxton
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Scrap ply, glued on the uprights, with a staple or two to hold until the glue dries. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=394193&postcount=10

Use SMC's Search function to find lots of past threads on this topic.

Chris Padilla
08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Very nice, Jamie!

Rob Diz
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Looks nice.

A couple of questions:

Could you let me know how long each of arms are, and spacing between them. I have a pretty standard kitchen I'll be building, and was thinking about spacking the arms around 18 inches apart, and leave around 4 inches between each set. Does that sound right?

Did you use a spacer on one of the sides so that the rack could fold flat?

I was also wondering about how stable your rack has been in practice. I was wondering if I should make a unit with racks on two sides, of if a one sided unit works well.

Thanks!

Steve Clardy
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=394193#post394193