PDA

View Full Version : PC pancake too loud what are my other choices

Dennis Reardon
08-25-2006, 2:23 AM
Howdy all

I am currently using a PC 6 gallon pancake compressor. I live in an apartment complex with attached garages. My newest neighbor who lives upstairs is complaining about the noise from my compressor. :mad: Okay we all know that oil free compressors are loud and the PC is one loud beastie.:(

I need to find a compressor that is portable, quiet, and will easily run all my brad and finish nailers. The biggest nailer I use is a PC DA 250 finish nailer. I looked at the mini Senco today at Woodcraft and while it is quiet, (almost unbelievably quiet compared to my PC) :eek:. I find it hard to believe it will keep up with me when I am using the finish nailer.

I suppose I will list my PC for sale next weekend locally via craigslist and the newspaper so I am a little pressed for time. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a smallish portable, quiet compressor? :confused:

Dennis
(wishing I had the forethought to think of a snappy quote)

Bob Wilkerson
08-25-2006, 6:54 AM
I use a Hitachi portable that is reasonably quiet that was obtained from Lowes IIRC after the Emglo that I had was stolen from a work site one night. After using it for a few months I'm quite pleased with it. It's not as light as my old one but has a good design including great valves for draining the tanks.

It is a model EC119 that I paid ~$350 for as I needed it right now. I think you can find it for less with a bit of searching.

Here's a link to it: http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=176&arrPath=,9,49,p176

Bob

Byron Trantham
08-25-2006, 7:47 AM
Howdy all

I am currently using a PC 6 gallon pancake compressor. I live in an apartment complex with attached garages. My newest neighbor who lives upstairs is complaining about the noise from my compressor. :mad: Okay we all know that oil free compressors are loud and the PC is one loud beastie.:(

I need to find a compressor that is portable, quiet, and will easily run all my brad and finish nailers. The biggest nailer I use is a PC DA 250 finish nailer. I looked at the mini Senco today at Woodcraft and while it is quiet, (almost unbelievably quiet compared to my PC) :eek:. I find it hard to believe it will keep up with me when I am using the finish nailer.

I suppose I will list my PC for sale next weekend locally via craigslist and the newspaper so I am a little pressed for time. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a smallish portable, quiet compressor? :confused:

Dennis
(wishing I had the forethought to think of a snappy quote)

Dennis, I bought the Senco. I love it and I use the PC 250 finish nailer. Does the tank recycle, yes, is it too often, I don't think so. It is so quiet and easy to move around I wish I had purchased something like it years ago. I had a Craftsman portable and it ran continuously (It's supposed to), very loud and it "walked around" while it was running.

Larry Fox
08-25-2006, 9:02 AM
How about trying to build a sound-dampening box for it before you sell it. Maybe get a sheet of ply from the BORG and sandwich some of that pink styrofoam house insulation between layers. Give it some way to get air from the outside and see what that does. I have never tried it but I think I might before I invested in another tool which might leave you in the same situation.

I have the same compressor and I also find it loud

Scott Loven
08-25-2006, 9:21 AM
Along with the box I would try to isolate it from the floor to reduce the vibrations going through the concrete. Make sure you have a way to get air into your compressor also! It wouldn't hurt to do this even if you find a quieter compressor.

Dave Harker
08-25-2006, 12:03 PM
When I researched compressors, I read that quiet compressors:

1) are belt driven, not direct drive
2) are oiled, not oil-free

Based on that, look for a oiled, belt-driven compressor of the size and capacity you need.

good luck,
Dave

Mike Ruane
08-25-2006, 1:08 PM
In the past I've used a box made of 2 layers of 3/4" MDF with a very noisy oiless compact compressor. It was incredibly effective (I'm also an apartment dweller, so low noise is the highest priority).

Here's one google'd link:

http://www.rvproject.com/compressor.html

Kent Fitzgerald
08-25-2006, 1:18 PM
Belt vs. direct drive really isn't much of a factor. There are very loud belt drive compressors (the PC pancake is one of them) and quiet direct drive compressors (like the Senco 1 HP).

Steve Roxberg
08-25-2006, 2:58 PM
Dennis,

The Makita MAC700 is a dream, you can stand right next to it and talk and I don't wear hearing protection around it. I love mine and they can be had for under $200.

It's oil bath which makes a huge difference. Everything about it is quality though.

Dave Lehnert
08-25-2006, 5:24 PM
I own the Senco and it works great in my home work shop. Like the other post said, it has to run a little more but find it no problem at all. In fact I have a large compressor but use the Senco with my guns because it is so handy to use.

Brian Hale
08-25-2006, 6:03 PM
Putting a box over it will make a world of differance. 1/2" plywood with some 1" wide strips if foam insulation (spaced about 1/2" apart) glued to the inside. Cover the outside completly with the foam. A few holes for air and you're set to go.

Brian :)

Kelly C. Hanna
08-25-2006, 7:12 PM
Larry beat me to it...you need a compressor 'house'.

Dennis Reardon
08-25-2006, 7:19 PM
Well how about that, building a house for the little bugger never even occurred to me. I like this solution it may take a couple days to track down some insulating board but it sounds (no pun intended) like a great idea. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Dennis

Randy Meijer
08-26-2006, 2:25 AM
I've got a cheap little double-tank 5 gal compressor that was noisier than what I wanted. A little investigation turned up the fact that a lot of the noise was coming out of the intake filter box. Tried Home Depot and a couple of other places looking for something I could just bolt on....like maybe a filter for a riding lawn mower.....and had no luck so I just built something from scratch. Bigger filter box and stuffed with a better filter material than the foam rubber that was in the original. Noise was reduced significantly!!

It could stand to be quieter, though, and based on this thread, I think I will try a box as well. Since mine is a light duty and very intermittent application, I don't think ventilation will be a problem; but for guys who's compressors run a lot, I would be concerned about the motors overheating if the "sound" box is not ventilated somehow.

jud dinsmore
08-26-2006, 3:07 PM
another vote for the makita. it is super quiet compared to the pc (i had one before i got the makita). it is a little heavy but it can keep up with any type of gun you want to run. i keep mine in my truck and use it for anything from minor framing to deck building to trimming houses. it is the real deal.

jud