PDA

View Full Version : New Wixey digital readout

Mark Rios
08-25-2006, 2:00 AM
Has anyone got this yet to test? It's not supposed to ship until the first of Sept.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/buy/index.html

This sounds very cool. I'd like to get one.

Does anybody think that there might be any extra special, super secret SMC sale prices like there was with planer readout? :eek: :cool: :rolleyes:

Aaron Beaver
08-25-2006, 8:23 AM
All you need to know right here: well almost...

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=41297

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-25-2006, 8:51 AM
Unless the thing has a way of preventing the user from leaning it forward or backward by any amount the readout display wion't ever be able to tell you exactly what angle the blade is set off to.

It appears that the angle is dependent on the initial placement. If you must lay it on the insert then all subsequent measurements will be referencing that insert and include any inacuracy therein.

At least that is what I see just glancing at the thing.
They may have a means of compensation. I just don 't see it.

Brad Townsend
08-25-2006, 9:00 AM
Unless the thing has a way of preventing the user from leaning it forward or backward by any amount the readout display wion't ever be able to tell you exactly what angle the blade is set off to.

It appears that the angle is dependent on the initial placement. If you must lay it on the insert then all subsequent measurements will be referencing that insert and include any inacuracy therein.

At least that is what I see just glancing at the thing.
They may have a means of compensation. I just don 't see it. For your table saw, for example, you put it on the table and zero out the display. Then you stick it on your blade (it has three small rare earth magnets on the bottom) and use a square to get it perpendicular to the table front to back. It just has to be close, not perfect. So far, I've been very impressed with it. I even used it to level the washing machine.:D

Mike Goetzke
08-25-2006, 9:12 AM
Just got mine yesterday. Works great. I used it to check my TS and set up my new router fence, but, I'm dissapointed - they didn't include an aluminum magnet in the kit.

Mike

Brad Townsend
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Just got mine yesterday. Works great. I used it to check my TS and set up my new router fence, but, I'm dissapointed - they didn't include an aluminum magnet in the kit.

Mike That's what double-stick tape is for!:D

Hoa Dinh
12-28-2006, 4:56 PM
I got it for Christmas and used it to check my TS blade (right on), my BS table (0.2 degree off) and my jointer (0.3 degree off).

What surprised me the most was my ability to set up those machines almost perfectly with just a combination square.

I verified the Wixey with a Starrett 12" combo (0.1 off), a Mitutoyo 12" combo (right on), and a Veritas double square (right on).

It is definitely a keeper.

Robert Mahon
12-30-2006, 8:27 AM
Hoa Dinh has it right.
I have one too and it works very well.
All my angle-cuts are right on (TS & MS), my jointer actually cuts square and I can now drill an accurately angled hole.
I'm sure it'll work just fine on my BS when it arrives.

I wish I had this when I was playing Journeyman Machinist.

Dave Bureau
12-30-2006, 9:17 AM
Are they available now? they were on back order for a while.

Rod Upfold
12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
mine is also on back order...wondering if they send a email out to tell their backordered customer that it is on its way?

I want to use it for some coopering for a blanket chest.

Rod

Doug Shepard
12-30-2006, 1:36 PM
Mine was on BO too but it just showed up the day after Christmas.

Dave Bureau
12-30-2006, 2:22 PM
justGot an email from Barry.. all backorders will be sent out next week.

Gary Keedwell
12-30-2006, 2:36 PM
I received mine a few weeks ago and they even sent me a spare battery. So far, I think I'm going to like it alot and it will be used frequently. Definetly a keeper. $40 bucks....can't go wrong!!!:)

Gary K.

Dave Fifield
12-30-2006, 6:29 PM
I bought one several weeks ago (from The Sawdust Shop in Sunnyvale). My experience with it echos the others above. It seems to be VERY accurate indeed. It's a keeper.

Dave Bureau
12-30-2006, 6:42 PM
I just ordered one myself

Paul Libby
12-30-2006, 7:54 PM
Bought one three days ago. Checked my TS, BS, MS, Jointer and square. The square was perfect, the rest were very close, but not dead on....they are now. I think that this will be a great addition for me, and make set up much faster.

Eric Mims
01-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Just a heads up... I got the Grizzly 2007 catalog today and they are offering their own digital angle finder. It has ON/OFF, Zero, and a Hold button (which they don't explain but I assume it functions as return to zero but sets it at whatever the current angle is...or maybe not). Has bubble level on top and magnetic bottom. Same price as Wixey I think. Exact same size and specs..must come from same factory.