PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl

Curt Fuller
08-24-2006, 9:31 PM
12.5" x 5" Walnut bowl. This wood was pretty cracked from drying out on the woodpile but I decided to go for it anyway. My hat goes off to all of you that turn large bowls. They're the hardest thing for me so far, getting a smooth contour inside and out, and a smooth finish over that much surface area. This one has lots of flaws or natural features, whichever you want to call them. A chunk of the wood near the pith flew out on the lathe so I sanded it smooth and that's the big divot on the top edge. It was to have some bark inclusion on the bottom side but some flew off and some wouldn't come off so it has a section with worm tracks and a section with sanded bark. Has lots of cracks too. But walnut is too pretty to burn.

Raymond Overman
08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
There's a lot of figure in that walnut Curt. It's on the heavy side but I like that in some bowls with the darker woods. Nice job of keeping the rest of it together.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Evenin' Curt. All those "defects" you note make it "A PIECE OF ART!"

Nice job. Sometimes Heavy is JUST RIGHT!

Bruce

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Curt, very nice. Some beautiful wood in tha bowl!

Corey

Barry Stratton
08-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Good looking piece of walnut. I like the heavy look on user type bowl and that bark on the bottom is REAL NEAT!!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-25-2006, 3:11 AM
Looks good, Curt.

Bernie Weishapl
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Curt that is a good looking piece of walnut. I like the heavy look on that bowl especially with the natural features. Nice job.

John Miliunas
08-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm really liking that bowl, Curt! For whatever reason, I always seem to fight Walnut and you've done this one justice! :) Nice job. BTW, what finish process did you use for it? :) :cool:

Curt Fuller
08-25-2006, 7:28 PM
The picture doesn't show it, but on the side where the natural edge/bark inclusion dips into the outside of the bowl it's only about 3/8" thick. The rest is about an inch thick. It is a heavy bowl, one that you wouldn't want your wife throwing at you from across the room.