PDA

View Full Version : Wood Source for Southern Oregon?

Art Davis
08-24-2006, 8:04 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wood source for Southern Oregon? (Medford area)
Thanks.
Art
P.S. I'm not really thrilled with web sources!

Brent Dowell
08-24-2006, 8:51 PM
I woodn't be too quick to dismiss the online sources. I've ordered a number of UPS bundles from one place over the past several years and have been very satisfied with the quality of the wood I received.

Considering the price of the wood here in the S.F. Bay area, I saved a ton of money ordering over the internet including shipping. I had a number of cutting boards I recently made and I from what I recall, the online sources was less than half the price for 8/4 cherry and oak than any place locally where I would have the privelege of selecting my own wood.

On a side note, We are just about to close on a new house in the Reno area, with plenty of room to build a new shop. I can't wait to get the shop built so that I can order several hundred board feet of wood to start 'furnishing' the new house. I'll order it from the same supplier thanks to the way they have treated me on the ups bundles.

Sure there will be some waste and probably a few pieces that I couldn't use for highly visible faces, but I think it's probably worth it...

Just my two pennies worth.

Dave Mapes
08-24-2006, 9:16 PM
Art

I am not aware of any place in Medford but you might try 'All Native Hardwoods' in Roseburg. (I have never been there but was told they have good select of exotic as domestic hardwoods)

I know crosscut hardwood has a branch in Eugene.

Dave

Gary Curtis
08-24-2006, 10:22 PM
So, Brent. Who is that online wood dealer? I live near Eureka. And what were some of the prices you paid?

Gary Curtis

Michael Cody
08-24-2006, 10:37 PM
www.woodfinder.com ...

jerry cousins
08-24-2006, 10:40 PM
kinda in the neighborhood - klamath falls
http://www.cookwoods.com/
i've not been there - but have bought wood on-line. good quality.

jerry

Robert Mickley
08-24-2006, 10:55 PM
I know a guy in Dallas Oregon but thats 4 1/2 hours

http://www.tanglewoodtimber.com/index.htm

Greg Tatum
08-25-2006, 12:39 AM
There was a guy in Bandon right on 101 with a sawmill and plenty of kiln dried lumber....mertyle, maple, redwood, mahogany, oak, walnut....I haven't been there in a couple of years but they might still be there....if you are in the area you might check them out.

Brent Dowell
08-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Well, didn't know if it was ok to post company names, I'm still a little new here and didn't want to violate any rules on that sort of thing.

I usually buy from Steve Wall lumber in North Carolina. I remember when I was checking prices at a bunch of on-line dealers, theirs were pretty much the best deal based on wood price and UPS Shipping.

http://www.loneunknown.com/images/trio.jpg

Here's some cutting boards I made from it. Maple and Cherry.

I think I paid around $6xbf for the 8/4. Locally, best prices I could find were around $11xbf for 4/4.

I'm wondering though, if up in Oregon there might be a better market for lumber?

Steve Beadle
08-25-2006, 12:10 PM
There was a guy in Bandon right on 101 with a sawmill and plenty of kiln dried lumber....mertyle, maple, redwood, mahogany, oak, walnut....I haven't been there in a couple of years but they might still be there....if you are in the area you might check them out.
I just drove by a place such as you describe, just south of Bandon, about 3 or 4 weeks ago. If it's the place you're talking about, it's still there. It was on a Sunday, so I don't think they were open at the time. Good thing, I suppose, because I might have come home from vacation completely broke!
Steve

Mike Leigh
08-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Portland area we have the usual, Home Depot, Lowe's and Parr's.
I'm not really super thrilled with any of the above.
I get standard wood, pine, hemlock, poplar and cedar at those places, which is 'ok'.
Rocklers in Beaverton isn't too bad for special lumber, wood and etc, but $$$.
Side note was that I was really disappointed with Parr's, it's very unfriendly unless you are into building contracting and etc., not much for the little lone woodworker, at least in my book. Parr's has a fancy showroom full of overpriced fixtures and etc, but otherwise, I'll not go there again.

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Art... I buy all of my hardwoods from Hardwood Industries, Inc in Tualatin. They have a branch office in Medford at 357 Ehrman Way 541-779-0404

I don't know that they always have the best price, but, for my money, they have the best service.

Doug

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Mike...I think you're missing out. We seem to be very fortunate in the Portland area with the number of sources we have for hardwoods.

Hardwood Industries Inc. Tualatin
Gilmer's Portland You have to go see this place to believe it.
Crosscut Lumber
Woodcrafter 6th. SE Portland
Continental
Hardwoods Inc Vancouver, WA

Add these to the many small mills along 101 for local materials such as Mrytle, Port Orford Cedar.

Doug

Jan Williamson
08-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Mike, have you tried Beavertooth oak, 401 Fir St in Medford? Lots of hardwood to choose from.
Jan