PDA

View Full Version : Paper or Plastic? - Oops, Fiber or Metal DC Bin?

Doug Shepard
08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Any thoughts on the relative merits of using fiber vs. metal DC collector bins? I'm thinking the fiber might be quieter? but maybe heavier? Is one type easier to attach and seal the flex hose from the cyclone to? Just wondering.

Jim Becker
08-24-2006, 12:30 PM
I've been happy with my fiber barrel (55 gal), but it is suseptable to moisture swelling...but nothing too annoying. It's also light-weight and easy to handle, unlike metal. They both use the same method for attaching the hose to the cone...a top with a flange on it. Both also generally seal with a flip-open compression ring for easy emptying.

Regardless which way you go, consider putting a "window" in the lid so you can see the "fill status". I just used 1/4" Lexan, sealed with clear silicone and screwed to the top.

Matt Meiser
08-24-2006, 1:10 PM
I have fiber and don't see any reason for metal. Like Jim said, fiber is light. and unless you are going to keep them out in the rain they will be durable. I got two identical drums from a nearby farm for $5 each.

Regardless which way you go, consider putting a "window" in the lid so you can see the "fill status". I just used 1/4" Lexan, sealed with clear silicone and screwed to the top.

Doug has something a little more elaborate up his sleeve. ;)

Aaron Beaver
08-24-2006, 1:30 PM
I am going to use the fiber one with a bag in it.

Doug Shepard
08-24-2006, 2:32 PM
Looks like fiber it is.

Doug has something a little more elaborate up his sleeve. ;)

Yup - that Dwyer thingy showed up yesterday. I need to look at the wiring diagram from their website again to hook up some power to make sure it works. But IMHO it doesn't look like it's been used unless they did one heck of a cleaning job and managed to recut the pigtail wiring so it looks factory. eBay comes in pretty handy sometimes.:)

Chris Padilla
08-24-2006, 3:59 PM
Well, buying new from Oneida...fiber is cheaper! :D However, I bet plastic and metal drums can be had for a song if you look through your local Craigslist (www.craigslist.com).

John Shuk
08-24-2006, 4:54 PM
Well, buying new from Oneida...fiber is cheaper! :D However, I bet plastic and metal drums can be had for a song if you look through your local Craigslist (www.craigslist.com).

I know of a few carwashes around here that always have a few plastic drums around free of charge.

Greg Sznajdruk
08-24-2006, 5:32 PM
If you have a Rust Proofer in your area they get their product in 55 gallon barrel of heavy gage nylon. I have bought these for $ 5 they are virtually indestructible.

Greg

Matt Meiser
08-24-2006, 7:54 PM
I have a couple of the plastic drums for scrap. I like the fiber drums better for dust though because they are lighter. The plastic drums I have had to have the tops cut off. I used my sabre saw for this and then attempted to clean up the remaining edge with a utility knife. FYI, the plastic is very hard and makes a nice sharp edge. Wear gloves. DAMHIKT. The good thing about mine is that they originally held Castrol Super Clean which is my favorite cleaning product for cleaning greasy stuff. There was about 2 quarts left in the bottom of each barrel which came close to making the drums free.

Doug Shepard
08-24-2006, 8:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I should note that my original question was referring to fiber vs. modifying a 20-gal galv. trash can that ClearVue's Install Instructions show. In hindsight now I realize that Oneida has some serious metal bins. I wasn't thinking along those lines. It looks like both Oneida and Penn State have 35 gal. fiber cans that should work out. Don't think I want anything bigger than that both for height reasons and for the weight of having to manhandle a full bin out to empty it. Not sure I want the additional hassle of cutting down a plastic or nylon one at this point either - I'm already way behind on this installation and don't need another mini-project at the moment.

One question though - the CV came with 6" flex-hose for attaching to the bin. Oneida's site ( http://store.oneida-air.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OAS&Category_Code=SDK ) has one's with a 7" opening and flex-hose. Would I need to use some sort of reducer before fitting the flex to the cyclone or shouldI be able to compress or notch out the 7" flex to make it fit the cyclone? The Penn State one also has a 7" opening.

Matt Meiser
08-24-2006, 9:24 PM
For what you are going to pay buy and ship one, you could drive down here and get a couple. I'll even pick them up ahead of time for you if you want.

Jamie Buxton
08-24-2006, 9:30 PM
Build one from plywood. You don't have to pay freight, you get to make it any size and shape you want, and you probably have scrap plywood hanging around.

I put an acrylic window in the side of mine (easy in plywood), and I can easily see when the bin is getting full.

Russ Massery
08-24-2006, 9:43 PM
I bought a fiber drum with no hole in the top. Cut a hole in top, then bought a press on collar from McMaster-Carr. Item #6766K42. Worked out great. BTW I have a Clearvue also. Here a link P.M. me if you have trouble.http://www.mcmaster.com/itmLookup/itmLookup.aspx?sesnextrep=624173865590944&searchstring=6766k42&tab=find&FastTrack=False&ftctlgpg=0575&FlCntxt=

Bruce Wrenn
08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Each has it's advantage. First fiber is often free. Yeast, sweeping compound, car wash detergent, etc come in fiber drums. Most now have plastic lids, which make it easy to cut hole in top for inlet. Simply make a tramel from a scrap of wood with two nails spaced the same radius as your inlet pipe. 6" metal duct is 6 1/8" in diameter. Look up the wood cyclone plans for instruction on making your own inlet. Metal offers the advantage of having handles which definately help when empting. Get two and leave one lid as is. This one can be set out for the trash, without fear of rain. The brand Lowes carries has ridges on the lid. One of these is a perfect guide for cutting the inlet.

Robert Mickley
08-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I used a metal 55 gallon drum, but only because my wife drags them home from work every once in a while :D They have the removable tops

Your right though, they are heavy.

Rick Schubert
08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought I read somewhere of possible fire danger with a fiber drum hooked up to a DC. Bill Pentz site? Possible spark danger from sitting in wood chips/dust and igniting. A metal bin would better contain any fire.

I've wondered about this as I have an Oneida 35 gal fiber bin hooked up to my Dust Gorilla.

Rick

Aaron Beaver
08-25-2006, 8:38 AM
I thought I read somewhere of possible fire danger with a fiber drum hooked up to a DC. Bill Pentz site? Possible spark danger from sitting in wood chips/dust and igniting. A metal bin would better contain any fire.

I've wondered about this as I have an Oneida 35 gal fiber bin hooked up to my Dust Gorilla.

Rick

Where would the spark come from?

Matt Meiser
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Where would the spark come from?

Blades hitting a piece of metal, machine malfunction, static discharge. Odds are againast it becoming a problem, but not impossible.

Chris Padilla
08-25-2006, 11:06 AM
For most hobbyiest...I think fear of fire from the wood shaving bin is pretty remote. However, if you have floor sweep, be careful what you sweep in there.... The errant nail could cause sparks.

Overall, if you get a fire in your bin, I don't think it matters much if it is fiber or metal...you have a serious problem on your hands and I hope a fire extinguisher is part of your tool collection in the shop.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
However, if you have floor sweep, be careful what you sweep in there.... The errant nail could cause sparks.

That's why hobby cyclones put the blower after the cyclone, according to Oneida. The nail should end up in the bin, no harm caused. If the blower was before, like most commercial cyclones I've seen, the nail would hit the fan and might spark. And the spark might stay hot enough long enough to start smoldering and cause a fire.

Rick Schubert
08-25-2006, 6:23 PM
Matt,

Do you know if the Oneida Dust Gorilla has the blower after the cyclone? I could look myself, but thought you might know.

Rick

That's why hobby cyclones put the blower after the cyclone, according to Oneida. The nail should end up in the bin, no harm caused. If the blower was before, like most commercial cyclones I've seen, the nail would hit the fan and might spark. And the spark might stay hot enough long enough to start smoldering and cause a fire.

Matt Meiser
08-25-2006, 6:27 PM
Matt,

Do you know if the Oneida Dust Gorilla has the blower after the cyclone? I could look myself, but thought you might know.

Rick

The regular cyclones do. That new thing, whatever it is called appears to break their own advice.

Doug Shepard
09-06-2006, 2:57 PM

Rick

Well, Mr Pentz PM'ed me to confirm this can be an issue so I've since been price shopping the metal ones. Boy are they pricey - in the $90+ range with a lever lock ring, and epoxy/phenolic lining. If I'm going with metal I dont want a galv. trash can but a regular drum. So during my searching I stumbled across this interesting little site where businesses that traffic in a lot of used containers post listings. http://www.drum-barrel.com/cgi-bin/rexview.cgi?rex=000002&wsc=01-5005&st=LA
I emailed one of the sellers and got a reply back with the attached pic of one I can get for $20 (I'll have to buy the beter lever-lock ring from McMaster). It's a tapered design that allows the drums to be stacked. 18" diam and 27" high. Will have to check the S&H cost, but it looks like a pretty good deal.

Jim Becker
09-06-2006, 9:50 PM
Hmm....given the cyclone is a pre-separator before the impeller (no spark issue with picking up metal if the impeller is steel like there would with a single stage system), the chance of fire would be limited to sucking up something already on fire I would think...or your nasty BLO soaked rags which should be hanging on a nail in the breeze somewhere. I kinda place this one on the same level as concern with PVC ducting in a home shop situation...although I used metal for other reasons...and I'm in no way concerned about my 55 gallon fiber barrel being a fire hazard. Obviously, this is my subjective opinion and not based on any facts... ;)