PDA

View Full Version : ???? about pen making supplies

Bart Leetch
08-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Is there really any difference in the adjustable pen mandrel that Penn State offers & the adjustable pen mandrel that Craft Supply offers?

Will I be locked in as to whom I purchase kits from depending on which business I purchase my pen mandrel from?
Some have advised me to buy my mandrel from the same place I purchase my pen kits from.

I want to be able to pick & choose as to whether I buy the more expensive blanks & kits or am able to save a little money buying else where since there are several vendors out there that sell pen kits & blanks also what about the bushings are they interchangeable between mandrels? Is there anything I've forgotten to ask?

Frank Fusco
08-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Bart, save your money and buy a standard mandrel. From what I have seen at pen specific forums, the adjustables have no real advantage and cost more. If you get a standard 7mm mandrel you will be able to buy kits from anyone you wish and use them on it. The one exception are the 8mm kits sold by Berea. You will need their 'B' mandrel for those. BTW, the 'A' mandrel from Berea is a 7mm. 7mm bushings work on anyones 7mm mandrel.
Have you forgotten to ask any questions? Yes, there are about lebenty-leben jillion more pen making questions you could ask.
Please PM me. I have more information for you that is prohibited here.

Mike Vickery
08-24-2006, 1:01 PM
Personally I like the adjustable mandrel I usually turn one half at a time it it seems to run much truer because of the shorter length. I avoid PSI products when ever possible becasue I usually find them to be much lower quality, however I have never used their adjustable mandrel. Currently I use a Beall collet chuck to hold my mandrel
http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=CHU
This is the best price I have ever seen on it. Unless you are planning to use if for other things though I would not buy it just to hold a mandrel.

Scott Pearson
08-24-2006, 1:18 PM
Yes, I have looked at this mandrel at it appears that the adjustable version is the same everywhere. I use this one myself, I bought it because it appeared sturdier then the others. The price difference in the end is negligible when you spread it out over the years that you will have it.

Scott

Dario Octaviano
08-24-2006, 1:23 PM
I am with Mike.

Doing one barrel at a time produces less deflection and I do recommend it too. Of course I still prefer my mandrel-less finishing ;).

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2006, 11:56 PM
I have 2 of the PSI adjustables maxi mandrels and they work just fine.
I also like very much the Berea kits. I make about 5 different kits of theirs and I have both a complete set of rods and mandrells.
I recently discovered in a post by Dario on a turning pen making board that turning one barrel at a time on the adjustable mandrell like PSI's really does work better, gets you a nice round pen. I plan on getting myself a Beal collet set up to turn all pens that way.

Corey

Mike Jory
08-25-2006, 4:43 PM
Bart;
You've gotten good advice above. Among the many resources for pen parts, I've done business with basically four suppliers. The one I wanted to mention that I use the most is Arizona Silhouette. I've called Bill Baumbeck a few times with either questions on orders, what to order, or information on woods, and what bushings, etc.
I've always had a high level of service from him. His parts inventory and stock of blanks is pretty good. Not all inclusive, but good.
A long time ago I even bought his DVD.
I like doing business with Bill cause I'm supporting a "Mom & Pop" business, which I believe is important. Give him a call with any questions.
Good Luck, Mike
ps: I am not affiliated with Arizona Silhouette in any manner.