PDA

View Full Version : Its shear madness I tell ya shear madness

Bart Leetch
08-23-2006, 11:28 PM
So I've been working on my mad falling into the abyss, can't catch myself, crazy descent into pen turning.

The above in red adopted from Raymond's below post it just seem so appropriate.:D :eek: :D

Here is a picture of my shop made pen press & band-saw cut off jig which I still need to make a quick length adjustment part for.

I included a picture of my Big Tiny Little 14" 1 1/2 HP Band-saw with a 26" wide by 28" deep table which makes it easy to to cut big pieces of wood into small pieces of wood. I did find that in some cases I prefer to rip the length of the pen blank on the Table-saw.

I've included a picture of a few Maple blanks that have been ripped to 3/4" size.

So it now looks like I need to buy pen kits a pen mandrel, barrel trimmer, Micro mesh, CA glue well at least the list is smaller.

Bart in Oak Harbor Washington saving money for a Ingersoll-Rand air compressor.

Raymond Overman
08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
So I've been working on my mad falling into the abyss, can't catch myself, crazy descent into pen turning.

There, fixed that for you.

Looks like you're having fun. Keep it up and thanks for the pics.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Keep at it Bart!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Evenin' Bart. I rip ALL my blanks on the TS. The little extra waste is worth it. I also cut my blanks to length on the TS. It works for me and again, there isn't much loss in material.

Bruce

Steve Hayes
08-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I had never even thought about a BS sled until I joined here. I use the thing all the time now. I just need to come up with a solid BS fence.