PDA

View Full Version : Handles for some new tools

Joe Fisher
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
A friend of mine is buying his wife a Rikon Mini for her 40th birthday. She turned on my Jet a while ago and was immediately hooked.

I bought her a starter set of P&N gouges and turned handles from locust (Honey? Moraine?). The wood is gorgeous, and some of them have chatoyance and some curl. The ferrules are 3/4" copper couplers cut in half.

The one on the far right was the prototype; I put my own P&N gouge in there. I thought the design was a little clunky and too big for her hands, so I made the rest slimmer and a little more flowing.

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/handles.jpg

I learned that even starting with a 1/8" pilot hole and moving up in 1/16" increments, your holes can still end up off center. Next time I will drill the holes first, and use them to center. That's the way I was originally going to go, but I read someone else's procedure for making handles and they didn't do that.

-Joe

Bernie Weishapl
08-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Joe those a some sweet looking handles. You did a nice job on them.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice handles Joe! Your friend will appreciate them, I'm sure!

Myrel Willeford
08-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Very nice wish I had a set that nice to start with. Want to be my friend too.:D

Raymond Overman
08-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Those are sharp Joe, and I do mean the handles. They really put my home grown handles for my P&Ns to shame. Nice job. I'm sure she'll enjoy them.

Lars Thomas
08-24-2006, 12:11 AM
That's one of my favorite projects. Looking great. Lars

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2006, 12:39 AM
Great looking handles and nice tools all around. Very kind of you!

Corey

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-24-2006, 12:51 AM
VERY nice, I'm sure they will be a big hit!

Cheers!

Andy Hoyt
08-24-2006, 1:05 AM
Excellent work, Joe. What impresses me the most is that they are near perfect copies of one another. Something I've tried again and again to achieve and have failed dismally each time. Thanks!

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
08-24-2006, 3:10 AM
Lovely work on those handles, Joe. I'm sure your friend's wife is going to appreciate the tools greatly!

Jim Becker
08-24-2006, 9:31 AM
Yea, they really are wonderful handles. 'Look comfortable to hold, too.

Joe Fisher
08-24-2006, 9:59 AM
Very nice wish I had a set that nice to start with. Want to be my friend too.:D Sure ;) I'll turn you some tool handles if you make me a sword.

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/scabbard.jpg

She and her husband are blacksmiths, and they made me this sword for my wedding gift. I can't seem to find a picture of it outside the scabbard at the moment :confused: I made the scabbard and suspension and forged the belt buckle.

So making some tool handles is the least I could do for her :)

-Joe

Joe Fisher
08-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Excellent work, Joe. What impresses me the most is that they are near perfect copies of one another. Something I've tried again and again to achieve and have failed dismally each time. Thanks!
Thanks very much! I was very proud of that, myself. What I did was keep the first one by the lathe and kept holding it up to the one I was working on so I always had a gauge to go by.

The nice thing about this design is it's very forgiving on small discrepancies in size - there isn't much to draw the eye to differences. The flowing shape really disguises it. I eyeballed everything, including the burned lines.

-Joe

Glenn Hodges
08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
These handles make these tools want to be handled.....

john blanchard
08-24-2006, 5:18 PM
Nice handles, I made one out of ash to replace a small handle on a spindle gouge. A question on the P&N tools if its ok, you refer to them as a starter set, I`m thinking of ordering some from Lee Valley, are they a lower quality tool, where do they stand compared to Henry Taylor or crown tools?

thanks

Joe Fisher
08-24-2006, 6:23 PM
Nice handles, I made one out of ash to replace a small handle on a spindle gouge. A question on the P&N tools if its ok, you refer to them as a starter set, I`m thinking of ordering some from Lee Valley, are they a lower quality tool, where do they stand compared to Henry Taylor or crown tools?

thanks
No, I love the P&N tools! I use them myself. They hold a great edge.

By starter set, I just meant a good assortment of tool types to keep her busy for a while. Parting tool, bowl gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel.

-Joe

Jason Christenson
08-25-2006, 1:25 PM
This is no doubt a stupid question but... how do you attach the tools to the handles?