PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my 4 day weekend.....

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Friday morning early the LOML and I drove through central Washington and Oregon. We picked up US 20 at Bend, OR and went to it's end at Newportbeach, OR. We couldn't see the normally visible Cascade mountains on the eastern side due to smoke from all the forest fires. At a beachside restaurant we couldn't see the waves breaking on the shore for the fog. The temperature there was 58 degrees when we arrived about 6:00 pm IIRC.

We were going to attend the wedding of my daughter. I met her when she was 2 years old. Her mother (the LOML) was a young divorcee with 2 kids...a 2 year old daughter and 3 year old son. I adopted those 2 about 30 months later after we'd been married for 2 years. She (my daughter) had won my heart from the first day. Over 20 years ago I walked her down the aisle. After 13 years of marriage, she divorced. And now 7 years later she was to be remarried. She's given birth to 3 of my grandchildren...she's patroled as a police officer.....worked for a sheriff's department as a dispatcher........She has a college degree in automechanics....You can see by the photos....her knuckles don't drag...:rolleyes: ..

Saturday evening we had a cookout on the beach so friends and family could get to know each other. Sharon and I immediately connected with Robin's parents, a very nice couple. My daughter and I conversed about how I felt about her recent meeting with her biological father's family. That's why I look so serious in the one photo........

Sunday....the day dawned....foggy, chilly, dreary........The wedding was at 2:00 pm. About noon.....the fog cleared out.......the sun shone.......The wedding took place at the Yaquina Point Lighthouse. As the ceremony took place between the lighthouse and the cliff above the ocean, you could watch two whales playing below. A prettier picture would be hard to imagine......A greater power may have interceded.........I thought the smile on my daughter's face would end up breaking her face. She couldn't have been happier...nor could her Dad! We left the lighthouse about 3:30 to go the reception......The fog rolled in about 4:00 pm....the sky clouded back over............

Monday we drove home.....through the smoke of the forest fires ..... a happier and larger family.........

Don Baer
08-24-2006, 12:32 AM
Gongrats DAD and my best to the newly weds.

Karl Laustrup
08-24-2006, 4:56 AM
Ken, that is a great story. More pictures would have made it even better. Made me wish I could have been there to be a part of the celebration.

Karl

Jim Becker
08-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Congratulations!!!!! Congratulations!!! Congratulations!!!

Wow...what a lovely setting for a wedding! IMHO, this is the way to do it...a beautiful place, some beautiful simplicity and close friends and family just hanging out. This kind of wedding is one that everyone can actually enjoy--including the bride and groom. Dr. SWMBO and I did it this way and our friend recently married in Maine did so, too. Bravo to your daughter and her beau for choosing to share their day in this way!

Wes Bischel
08-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Congratulations are in order all around! Great to hear the weather cleared for the happy couple's special day.

Wes

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
08-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Congrats to you and your bigger family Ken, great pics, thanks for sharing this special day with all of us!

Cheers!