PDA

View Full Version : I have these 3 wire hanging out of my new MM16

Joe Mioux
08-23-2006, 10:30 PM
What is a good neat way to attach them to an extension cord?

Joe

its a 10 AWG with a 30 amp plug on the other end.

Don Baer
08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
ummm what color are they ?

Joe Mioux
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
one is a ground (thinknig green/yellow), which i know. and the other two are hot (tan and different color green)

Bruce Page
08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Stealth gloat? They finally delivered it, congratulations!

I wired a new #10 cord directly into the switch. Pretty straight forward but I did have to open up the hard plastic grommet on the back of the machine to allow the #10 to pass through.

Joe Mioux
08-23-2006, 10:45 PM
FWIW: The wiring part I know. I already swapped out 20 amp breakers with 30 A breakers, wiring from subpanel to outlets are 10 ga, changed out 20 amp recepticles with 30A rec,

I am just looking for a nice neat look. I am not fond of looking at a plug hanging of the side of my new saw. Altough I could do just that.

how do you address this issue?

Joe

Joe Mioux
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM

I wired a new #10 cord directly into the switch. Pretty straight forward but I did have to open up the hard plastic grommet on the back of the machine to allow the #10 to pass through.

YEP! BIG SMILE on my face as well Bruce!

Joe

Pete Bradley
08-23-2006, 10:50 PM
I would run a new wire of the length desired all the way back to the motor. Be sure all the parts are rated for the expected amps and length. Splicing it is less safe and would take you longer anyway

If you don't have a starter with overload protection, that would be a good thing to consider also.

Pete

Jamie Buxton
08-23-2006, 10:51 PM
FWIW: The wiring part I know. I already swapped out 20 amp breakers with 30 A breakers, wiring from subpanel to outlets are 10 ga, changed out 20 amp recepticles with 30A rec,

I am just looking for a nice neat look. I am not fond of looking at a plug hanging of the side of my new saw. Altough I could do just that.

how do you address this issue?

Joe

Open up the saw's electrical box. Remove the OEM pigtail. Substitute a cable long enough to go wherever your electrons come from.

Doug Shepard
08-24-2006, 7:49 AM
Congratulations.
There's info on this thread with what I did, as well as other approaches from other MM16 owners as well.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=237744&postcount=10
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=237753&postcount=12

Randy Gillard
08-24-2006, 9:10 AM

I did exacty the same as Bruce. I had to install a different cable clamp, but theyare available at most homecentres.

Jim Becker
08-24-2006, 9:14 AM
I did not wire directly to the switch...I put a male twist-lock on the pigtail and then made up a cord of appropriate length to go to the wall with a male and female twist-lock on the respective ends. (I just happen to prefer twist-locks although they are not necessary and more expensive)

Mike Wilkins
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the new iron. While I do not have a MM bandsaw (Laguna LT18) I will have to second Jim's vote for the twist-lock plugs. They are more costly but everything about them spells INDUSTRIAL. And the weight of a heavy/long cord will not cause it to unplug itself right in the middle of resawing that beautiful slab of walnut.
I switched all my big iron to twist locks.
Good luck and watch those fingers.