PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Advice

Gredo Goldenstein
08-23-2006, 9:57 PM
Hello All-

I am working on a small "jewelry" type box and I am at the point of attaching the top to the box. What kind of hinges can I use on 1/2" sides and 1/2" top? Will 10mm barrel hinges work? Something better?

Thanks! The G-Man

Kristian Wild
08-23-2006, 10:24 PM
10mm barrel hinges will give you scarcely more than 1mm of wood on either side of the barrel. (1/2" thick is about 12.2mm) A scary drilling proposition to say the least! I've used some of the smallest Brusso butt hinges that LV sells on a jewelery box with 1/2"thick sides and I really like them. The ones I used stop at 95 or 100 degrees so that the lid doesn't flop all the way back. Expensive but solid quality.

Kris

Corey Hallagan
08-23-2006, 10:30 PM
From what I have seen the 10 mm hinges are pretty good sized. If the box is on the larger side and you have full 1/2 thick wood (many sold as 1/2 inch really are not) then they will work but you must drill it dead on. If it is a fairly small sized box the 5mm should work as well. Also there are box hinges either the stamped brass plated or the solid brass hinges from Brusso. Most likely the 3/4 x 5/16 ones would work best here. I have been looking alot at these lately myself. Lee Valley sells these as kristian says above and they look to me to have pretty good prices on them.

Corey