PDA

View Full Version : Glue for signs

Patrick OBrien
08-23-2006, 7:51 PM
I tried doing a search for this subject, and couldn't find anything.
My apologies, if this is redundant.

I just got a decent signage job for an office environment, hardwall offices, cubes and network operations. I am using a Rowmark Lasermark product and want to know what is best for securing these small signs (4.5" x 4.5") to walls etc.

My first thought was a rubber type glue, in case they want to change signs without peeling the wall paint off.....but I am certainly open to suggestions. Is tape better than glue?

Your thoughts are appreciated, and thanks for a great Forum!:confused:

Joe Nagel
08-23-2006, 8:10 PM
I have used a product from Johnson Plasitcs called JP Stickwithit foam tape. It is thick enough to conform to slightly uneven wall and is very strong. Costs about $10 for 100 feet

Joe

Mike Null
08-24-2006, 9:12 AM
The usual method of mounting signs to hardwalls is with a frame such as JRS products which are available through a lot of distributors. The sign would slide in or snap in.

I would check with the building manager or ops manager for direction before I bought anything.

Keith Outten
08-24-2006, 9:25 AM
Loctite Power Grab is a great adhesive for small to large signs. I recently used it to adhere Corian molding I made to a tile surface. I also use it for smal acrylic signs as well, I apply a couple of pieces of double sided tape to hold the signs until the Loctite cures.

If the signs are only used for a short period of time I use 3M double sided foam tape and place it close to the edge. When you need to remove the sign just run a knife through the foam to separate the sign from the wall and then cleanup the residue.

Patrick OBrien
08-25-2006, 1:09 PM
Thanks for all the replies and info. Mike, I understand what you are saying about the sign mounts. My Customer wants the signs mounted between the door posts of the offices (5" or less horizontal). This precludes sliding the signs in as I wanted. I told them that if they want them mounted between the door posts, future changes will require dismounting the current signs and re-attaching. That is why I am struggling with the glue issue. I want them secure, but they may have to be removed in the future i.e. Title changes, personnel etc.

Any ideas on a good strong/Temporary glue? This is my conundrum.

Dave Jones
08-25-2006, 6:00 PM
Velcro? :D

Joe Pelonio
08-25-2006, 7:24 PM
Pat,

Just use 2-3 small pieces of the foam tape that Keith mentioned, or better yet use the cheaper stuff that's thicker and softer foam. It will fall apart when you pull it off, leaving the sign in one piece and you can rub it off the wall.

Mike Null
08-26-2006, 7:27 AM
Maybe Keith can comment on this but what about silicone adhesive?