PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Finish question

Jim Harsha
10-04-2003, 11:29 PM
I have never used oil as finish before (usually lacquer or poly). I just finished a new maple workbench top and need to protect it from glue etc as well as keep it from drying too much here in the desert. Watco, BLO and Danish oil have been recommended. Which one of these dries the clearest but still enhaces the grain? Thanks.

Feeling ignorant in Tucson.

David Rose
10-05-2003, 1:22 AM
Jim, you did say WORKbench? If I ever build a "real" one, I probably won't put anything on it. I would be nice to have some glue resistance, but I'm not sure which would help the most. I would probably use BLO as all of it should soak in with no surface film. That's just me. The "makeshift" benches I've made so far are simply finished with dings and chisel marks and such.

David

Byron Trantham
10-05-2003, 6:27 AM
I agree with David. Bench tops get too much abuse to make them pretty. I covered mine with Formica thinking it would hold up and look nice. Wrong. After about one year there were stains from various chemicals, lacquer, stain, shellac you name it. I think that no matter what you put on it, one hammer blow will get through to the wood and create great glue spot (a spot where clue can stick).

Phil Phelps
10-05-2003, 7:11 AM
I agree with David. Bench tops get too much abuse to make them pretty. I covered mine with Formica thinking it would hold up and look nice. Wrong. After about one year there were stains from various chemicals, lacquer, stain, shellac you name it. I think that no matter what you put on it, one hammer blow will get through to the wood and create great glue spot (a spot where clue can stick).

Byron: I have two 5'x12' tables coverd in "white" formica. They wern't built for wood work tables, but they are now. Have you ever poured lacquer thinner on the table and scrubbed it? Works like magic. Helps to have a little ventilation!!!
You knew that, though.

Joe Tonich
10-05-2003, 8:42 AM
I have never used oil as finish before (usually lacquer or poly). I just finished a new maple workbench top and need to protect it from glue etc as well as keep it from drying too much here in the desert. Watco, BLO and Danish oil have been recommended. Which one of these dries the clearest but still enhaces the grain? Thanks.

Jim,

I used VELVIT OIL on mine when I had one. (Gave it to my new neighbor, he needed one and mine was too big for the garag...Shop. 4x8 bowling alley). Just make sure you keep a good coat of JOHNSONS on it for those glue drips!

Joe

Ted Shrader
10-05-2003, 9:31 AM
I have never used oil as finish before (usually lacquer or poly). I just finished a new maple workbench top and need to protect it from glue etc as well as keep it from drying too much here in the desert. Watco, BLO and Danish oil have been recommended. Which one of these dries the clearest but still enhances the grain? Thanks.

Jim -

BLO will take a while to dry. The others are proprietary mixtures of BLO, varnish, and thinner. If you want to put some on, go ahead. After they have dried, break out the Johnson's Paste Wax and wax the hoodely out of it. Periodic applications of wax will keep glue from sticking and make it easier to wipe up the inevitable spill.

How about some pics?

Ted

Jim Becker
10-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Jim, I do use BLO on my bench, primarily to make it easier to get any stray glue off the top. But it does enhance the "look", too. I do a light sanding on the bench about once a year at the end of a day and then wipe on a coat of BLO. I don't even worry about cure time as it's only a light coat and is soaked in fairly well overnight.