PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Purchasing Question

Travis Lavallee
08-23-2006, 6:31 PM
I have been offered to purchase this lathe along with the following tools.

The starters set shown here:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20264&cat=1,330,43164

And the gouge that looks to be the 3/4" one of these three:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=43177&cat=1,330,43164,43175

The whole setup has only been used a few times (2 or 3) and is no longer needed by the person who bought it. I never got the whole story (friend of a friend...) and was just wondering what to look for or what kind of price for it??

Thanks

Travis

Don Baer
08-23-2006, 7:13 PM
Travis,
I googled the lathe and got the specs. for it.

Specifications
Motor: 1/2 HP Induction 120V AC
Spindle Diameter (In.) x TPI: 3/4 x 16
Bed Type: Tubular Steel

No my favorite. Not rigid enough

RPM - 4 Speeds: 875, 1350, 2250, 3450

Not good, low speed. is to high.

Heavy Duty Stand with Mounting Platform Capacities: Yes

Swing Over Tube (Bowl Diameter): 12"
Swing Over Tool Rest (Spindle): 7-3/4"

Between Centers: 37"
Shipping Weight: 149 lbs
Net Weight: 134 lbs
I tried to find a price. the rigid web site said to buy it at home depot. Home Depot didn't have a price on it.
I don't know any turners who have one but unless it is an absolute steal I'd keep on looking.

Don Baer
08-23-2006, 7:14 PM
Oh and welcome to the creek. Try posting this on the turning forum.

Jim Bell
08-25-2006, 6:52 PM
What Don said. You can get a jet mini and some decent tools for around $400.00-$500.00 and choose the tools to get started. You might also get involved in a local turning club even if it means a long drive once or twice a month. In the end you will be farther ahead and have a much greater appreciation for the art of woodturning,
Jim:)

Curt Fuller
08-25-2006, 7:45 PM
That's the exact lathe I began turning on, a Ridgid 1200WL. For spindle work it's a pretty good lathe but I'll tell you the things I didn't like about it.
It's a #1 morse taper on the head and tailstock which isn't very heavy duty. And most things you buy for it like drive spurs, pen mandrels, etc won't work on your next lathe because any upgrade will generally use a #2 morse taper.
If you plan to turn small bowls or things from rough wood that require much roughing to get them round, this lathe will only slow down to about 750 rpm. The combination of that and a pipe bed with a fairly weak spline setup on the bottom of the pipe bed will cause the tool rest to bend the spline as the tool hammers at the rest getting things round. Once that happens, the tool rest and tailstock won't slide on the tube very well and it then will also be hard to keep the head and tailstock aligned. Alos, the lock downs for the tool rest, both for height and along the pipe bed are soft aluminum castings and they'll break after a while.

It's a great little lathe for light duty spindle work, pens, etc but if you want to get into face work you'd be a lot better off with even a small Jet mini or Rikon that has a flat bed. And I think they're pretty comparably priced.

Hope this helps.