PDA

View Full Version : LOVE / Hate relationship! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-23-2006, 5:55 PM
Not starting out to be my best week.:o :( :mad:

The AC coil got a hole and leaked all that "new" stuff they use instead of Freon out. No cooling........................... in the eighties and LOML NOT a happy camper. Old unit.............installed in 1988, don't know if they can find a slant coil to fit. (btw $80.00 to tell me what I was pretty sure was wrong!):eek:

My digital camera, a Nikon coolpix 990, has been great until this week. The trap door that holds the batteries in won't stay closed.................Dern thing don't work without batteries. Looks unrepairable as the part not working is formed into the case. Originally an $800.00 Camera................ Sure glad I didn't pay that much for it. :o

Looks like I get to go out and see what's out there that will use the flash memory I have. Any ideas as to what might be a good.....reasonably priced one to get? (Note, I didn't say CHEAP.........you can't get good and cheap!)::rolleyes:
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bruce;)

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 5:58 PM
Bruce, PM me if you like and I will send you a few listings from Consumers Reports. Let me know.

Mark

Glenn Clabo
08-23-2006, 6:35 PM
My digital camera, a Nikon coolpix 990, has been great until this week. The trap door that holds the batteries in won't stay closed.................Dern thing don't work without batteries. Looks unrepairable as the part not working is formed into the case. Originally an $800.00 Camera................ Sure glad I didn't pay that much for it. :o

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Bruce;)

Bruce...What's wrong with duct tape? If the camera works fine otherwise...a little time to decide?

Joe Pelonio
08-23-2006, 7:16 PM
Bruce...What's wrong with duct tape? If the camera works fine otherwise...a little time to decide?
I agree, duct tape ought to hold it, and you don't have to change them that often.

Sorry for this bit of news, Bruce, but I always find that like celebrity deaths, electronics seem to break in threes. Be careful with the TV,
Stereo, and Microwave tonight!

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-23-2006, 7:40 PM
No problem, Joe. These make the three! I just got my computer back.

Bruce

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 7:49 PM
Velcro, sorta permanent.

Jim Becker
08-23-2006, 8:05 PM
I had to use tape on my old Nikon CoolPix 880 to keep the battery door closed...worked fine and as far as I know, the new owner (spouse of an SMC member) is still using it that way... ;)

Charlie Hans
08-23-2006, 8:55 PM
Red Green would definately opt for the Duct Tape
Charlie

Al Willits
08-24-2006, 8:29 AM
Remember, if ya can't fix it, Duct it....

Remember your paying for the time, equipment and wages of that tech, $80 to tell ya what's wrong with a $2k or 3k unit may not be all that bad.
btw R410a is freon and they should be able to find an evaporator for it, usually matching size and whether it's a cap tube, piston or TEV is what's important, there are several manufactures making coils that should/may work.

When you say "not cheap" are you looking for SLR quality out of a digital camera?
If so, buy another Nikon, they have several excellent digital camera's that take close to SLR quality.
I have both a Nikon and Olympus SLR and not being quite so particular anymore, find myself using a $250 Panasonic digital that takes pretty good pictures for the cost.

Good luck with the AC, unfornately it won't be cheap to repair.

Al

Dave Richards
08-24-2006, 9:15 AM
As far as your camera is concerned, find a nurse and get some nurse tape. That seems to work around here on broken battery compartment covers. It works better than duct tape, too. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the help, folks. Here's what I'm doing.

Waiting for the AC guy to find a slant coil that will fit! De Dum De dum De Dum! Al, I don't really feel overcharged by the AC guy. If I can't do it, gotta pay.........but, I equate it with the comments I sometime get about the pricing on a bowl. I don't get paid $160.00/ hour! And THEY can't do what I do, either!

Currently recharging the batteries for the Nikon. When they are done, I'll try the Red Green thingy. There is a LOT of spring tension and some soft rubber, where I have to tape it, but we'll see how it works.

With the help of you folks, I located a site that was announcing the introduction of a new line of Olympus cameras, available in Sept. I think the FE-200 will be good enough for my needs. If the Tape thingy works, I'll keep it as a bachup, otherwise, I'll have some memory for sale.

Thanks Again, folks.

Bruce

Al Willits
08-24-2006, 3:51 PM
Understandable, $160 is a bit much, we only get about $80...good luck.

To bad ya weren't a bit closer.

Al

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-24-2006, 6:55 PM
Last report!

AC guy called......................can't get a coil to fit....................Go figure.....Unit originally installed in 1988. Now a new furnace with coil, "Carrier brand," will be installed tomorrow, and only $2000.00. (Hope my shows the next two weeks do well!)

Spent today looking at local camera sources.......................Sucks BIG TIME. Mostly little "Toy" cameras or $600.00 ones. Good news.............Red Green thingy worked! I can now wait till Christmas and order a Good medium priced model, probably the Olympus FE200.

Again, thanks for your help, folks,

Bruce

Ray Bersch
08-24-2006, 9:24 PM
I had to use tape on my old Nikon CoolPix 880 to keep the battery door closed...worked fine and as far as I know, the new owner (spouse of an SMC member) is still using it that way... ;)

Jim, you forget that I was able to repair the battery cover. The fix worked perfectly and the camera has since been around the world and back without a problem - the solution was to use a dental product to rebuild the battery cover latch. The stuff is called DuraLay and it is distributed by a company called Dental Mfg., Co 5805 W. 117th Pl, Worth IL 60482. I suspect they deal through medical supply distributors.

This stuff is great. It is meant to build up dental inlays and bridges. There are two parts, one is a powder, the other a liquid. You mix it sorta like epoxy and then apply. But it is not epoxy, in fact I have found the liquid alone is great for repairing small plastic parts that epoxy will not take to. This stuff melts the plastic and reforms with a joint stronger than the original. I got it from a dentist friend, it is expensive but better than buying a new camera and a little goes along way.

For your battery cover you mix the powder and liquid and place the resulting concoction on the broken latch. When it dries it is hard as a rock and you use all your woodworking skills to shape the form you want. I used a small drill turned between my fingers to drill out an eye, and then an emery board to get to the final shape.

Now, the bad news guys, duct tape won't work. I tried that on my daughters camera this summer (DuraLay was at home, we were in Maine). There is too much creep and when the weather is warm the glue softens and the pressure from the battery springs pushes the cover open. I got some industrial strength Velcro, cut some small slices and placed them on the camera - worked ok, but does not approach the results on our Nikon. Strong elastic bands work also.
Good luck and have fun.
Ray

Matt Meiser
08-24-2006, 9:51 PM
Spent today looking at local camera sources.......................

Peoria has sources? Things have changed since I lived there 10 years ago! :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
Sorry Matt.................... That was Tongue in cheek! Here's what I had as sources.

Walmart, Walgreens, K's (they are getting out it photo), American furniture & Appliance, Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Max, Office Depot, and Sears. No Photo shops any more. The only person who was knowledgeable was at K's. Again, GO Figure!

I will probably have to buy one over the internet!

Bruce

Greg Koch
08-25-2006, 12:39 AM
Bruce,

This is a great site for info on all the digital cameras. Specs, data, prices, reviews, pics... of the the full lines for most all makers.

http://www.dpreview.com/

I always check it out before buying.

Greg