PDA

View Full Version : Cost of a name plate?

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 5:55 PM
Okay....this is the first time (I think) I've ever posted over here in this way out world of laser engraving so please don't hurt me :D. You folks use some serious looking tools.

Anyway, I'm building a studio console out of mahogany for a guy that I do other work for (I manage some of his property and do some remodeling for him). He didn't ask for any type of nameplate but I thought it would be neato for him if I put one on that said "Custom made for .........".

I'm thinking that it would go on the front edge of the upper shelf which is 3/4" thick so the plate couldn't be any wider than that. One line or two wouldn't make any difference to me, unless you folks know better. Brass probably? I know I'm really out of my league here so if you have any other advice let me know.

Does anyone want to give me a price for this little job?

Thanks very much for your time.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2006, 7:08 PM
Mark,

I had one made for an oak sideboard/hutch I made for my wife. A local engraving shop charged me $7.00 IIRC. I was surprised how inexpensive it was. The plate was an antiqued brass engraved and the engraving was blackened to make it be more promiinent. Very reasonable!

Joe Pelonio
08-23-2006, 7:20 PM
For something like that just find a local engraver or trophy shop, that way you can see what the choices are. If a member here gave you a good
discount you'd still pay almost the same with the shipping. There should be plenty of places in your area.

Mike Null
08-23-2006, 7:41 PM
I would think $6 or 7 to be reasonable. You could also engrave a piece of wood and inlay it or glue it in place.

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 7:57 PM
I would think $6 or 7 to be reasonable. You could also engrave a piece of wood and inlay it or glue it in place.

ME???...INLAY????....HA HA HA HA.......you are much deluded as to the level of my talents. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was just wanting to throw a little business toward the membership if it wasn't too small of a job.

Keith Outten
08-24-2006, 9:31 AM
Mark,

You can inlay.

Have your local engraver cut and engrave a 5/8" round disk with the text you prefer. You can use a 5/8" forsner bit to drill a recess in the edge that will fit your disk perfectly.
Your choice of materials are almost endless from gold acrylic mirror to wood.

Check our list of Laser Engravers here in this forum for an SMC Engraver that is nearest your area.

Dave Jones
08-24-2006, 1:19 PM
The reason people are suggesting a local engraver is because brass plaques are usually engraved with a rotary engraver rather than a laser. A laser can remove paint from a painted brass plate, but to cut letters into the brass requires a rotary tool or diamond drag tool. There are brass colored plastics that can be lasered (and lots of other materials) but if you want that real brass plate then standard (non-laser) engraving is the best look for that.

Joe Pelonio
08-24-2006, 4:49 PM
The reason people are suggesting a local engraver is because brass plaques are usually engraved with a rotary engraver rather than a laser. A laser can remove paint from a painted brass plate, but to cut letters into the brass requires a rotary tool or diamond drag tool. There are brass colored plastics that can be lasered (and lots of other materials) but if you want that real brass plate then standard (non-laser) engraving is the best look for that.
Right, and I thought the plastic "brass look" would be kind of tacky for that application. I love Keith's idea, or even inlay a piece of a different color of wood that's been engraved.

Keith Outten
08-24-2006, 5:21 PM
Dave,

I believe that there is a solution to laser engraving on brass with TherMark so most of the Engravers here could do the job for Joe.

I thought a local engraver would be able to do the job for less than the cost of shipping.

We discussed a simular issue last year of engraving medalions for woodworkers to mark their work. A search of the engraving forum should turn up some interesting reading.

Dave Jones
08-24-2006, 5:40 PM
Keith, I haven't tried brass but I've heard people say they had to struggle with Cermark/Thermark on brass to get good results. It needs a lot more power than other metals. Also some brass plates are already clear coated which would have to be lasered off before coating with Cermark, and some clear coats can't be removed with a CO2 laser. I think a YAG laser can mark brass directly.

The "black brass", which is a clear coated brass with black paint over it which you laser off, would work OK.

I do like the wood inlay idea though.

Mike Null
08-24-2006, 7:18 PM
There's a gold aluminum material called Alumamark which will laser black. I've used it for several jobs and had good results.

Keith Outten
08-24-2006, 11:22 PM
I have used both the silver and the gold colored Alumamark and they both engrave well. The problem I have with Alumamark is that it must be held perfectly flat to the engraving table and it often will have a bit of a bend in the sheet. I have used double sided tape with reasonable results but not perfect. I also purchased one of the sticky engravers pads from LaserBits which failed miserably with Alumamark, the sheet stuck to the pad and was so hard to remove it distroyed the sheet :(

I have both purchased and made my own painted brass material for projects. Painted brass is great material for plaques.

Medalions can be made from just about any material that suits the design of the project. Even Corian can be used for inlays, I have resawed Corian to 1/8" thick for inlays and badge material that looks great.

Mike Null
08-25-2006, 7:14 AM
Keith
I use a sheet of flat aluminum and spray it with 3M spray mount to hold things down flat for engraving. They remove easily.

Keith Outten
08-25-2006, 7:59 AM
Thanks for the tip Mike, I will search for a suitable piece of aluminum sheet and give it a try.

Dean Flannery
08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Okay....this is the first time (I think) I've ever posted over here in this way out world of laser engraving so please don't hurt me :D. You folks use some serious looking tools.

Does anyone want to give me a price for this little job?

Thanks very much for your time.

Hi Mark,

I just aquired a trophy and engraving business to complement my laser engraving business, if you haven't got a plate yet I would be happy to make one for and send to you by USPS.
A 3/4" tall by 3-4" long brass plate diamond drag engraved would run $5-6 dollars depending on how many words are on it.
Send me a email if you are interested.
Thanks, Dean dean@mcmmachine.com

Mark Rios
08-28-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Mark,

I just aquired a trophy and engraving business to complement my laser engraving business, if you haven't got a plate yet I would be happy to make one for and send to you by USPS.
A 3/4" tall by 3-4" long brass plate diamond drag engraved would run $5-6 dollars depending on how many words are on it.
Send me a email if you are interested.
Thanks, Dean dean@mcmmachine.com

Dean, thank you very much for your kind offer. Another member beat you to it by a little bit. Thanks again very much.