PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Tool Works tool quality?....and sale on plane......

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 5:10 PM
Anyone have any opinions on this company? The quality of their tools? I'm sure it's high quality but how does it compare to say LN?

I've looked at their stuff a few times over the last few months and their stuff looks VERY nice. Then I see their prices and HOLY PACHEEBIES!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly close the window so that I don't get charged just for looking at the tools. :D

But.......right now they are having a sale on their little adjustable mouth HP-5 Small Block Plane....$99. I use a small crappy little plane when I'm doing interior trim but I could throw both my dogs AND my 7' boa through the mouth it's so big. $99 doesn't seem too out-of-line for a super quality little plane like this IF they truly are high quality.

I apologize if I'm out-of-line by questioning them but I really know nothing about them.....except that they cost a butt load of money. :D

Thanks very much for your advice.

Doug Shepard
08-23-2006, 5:17 PM
I dont have any of their planes but if the planes are as well made as the rest of their tools, $99 sounds like a steal. I've got their 6" combo square, a marking gauge, saddle square, 45 and 22.5 miter squares, and I think I'm forgetting something else too - but all of them rank right up there as some of the best quality tools I have. The accuracy is right on, and they look pretty sweet too.

Mike Henderson
08-23-2006, 6:15 PM
Mark - would you post a link to that sale price on the HP-5 plane, please? I went to their site but I can't find the sale price. Thanks.

Mike

Mike Henderson
08-23-2006, 6:43 PM
I called Bridge City and ordered the plane. With shipping, it was about $110. If I don't like it, I'll sell it on EBay. Since it lists for $239, I'm pretty confident I'll get my money back.

Thanks, Mark, for alerting us to that sale.

Mike

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 7:01 PM
You're welcome P. Michael. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I had a tenant call me and had to go next door.

It is an email sale. Sign up for their special deal by email thingy. They are having a summer email sale right now. You get a few deals each week and they allow you to buy the previoius weeks sale stuff for last minutes mind changes. :D

Now that we have the same plane we must be twins, huh? :D :D :D

Clinton Findlay
08-23-2006, 7:09 PM
I'm working out what is in the tool fund at the moment - be nice to have a little block plane instead of using my No 3. :D A great deal.

Mike Henderson
08-23-2006, 7:27 PM
Now that we have the same plane we must be twins, huh? :D :D :D
Hey, Mike and Mark - has kind of a nice sound to it - works for me, brother.

Mike

[Which one of us is the good looking one?]

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 7:30 PM
Hey, Mike and Mark - has kind of a nice sound to it - works for me, brother.

Mike

[Which one of us is the good looking one?]

Aahhh...that'd be you.

{Please send my 5 bucks to..........} :D :D :D :D :D

Doug Shepard
08-30-2006, 5:38 PM
After posting on this the other day I went to BC's site and signed up to receive emails on their specials. I was originally going to pass on the HP-5, but I get this week's email specials and they've got a note at the bottom that today is the last day to still get the special on the HP-5. So I talked myself into buying it. Their website said it was in stock and after ordering, the email order confirmation also said it was in stock. So about 2-1/2 hrs after I get the order confirmation, I get an email from someone at BC that goes like this:

Thanks for the order! Unfortunately we no longer have the HP-5 in stock. Let us know if there is anything else you would like to order

My response back was:
So are you telling me you're voiding the order or does it just go on backorder and ship when it becomes available?

To which BC replied:
Well we don’t do back orders. So I did not place your order. What I can do is put you on a waitlist and if/when it goes into production again, you will be notified and at that point given the option to purchase the item or not. But it still is not a guarantee that it will be produced again. Would you like to be on the waitlist?

I haven't replied to them yet but wanted to double check the fine print on the special email to see what it said with respect to 'limited to stock on hand' ,etc.. Unfortunately I deleted mine after getting my order confirmation. Anyone still have a copy of that email they can forward to me?

Clinton Findlay
08-30-2006, 7:11 PM
I can't help, sorry. I signed up and got this weeks specials and it was garbled and I can't get any info out of it.

My understanding is that they are clearing out stock that is not being produced... so perhaps they can not send it to you as there are no more to be had?

Best of luck with it, it was a great buy.:(

Mark Rios
08-30-2006, 8:50 PM
Well, I just went to look at the email to forward it to a member and it magically changed so that the picture link to the plane now has an "X" through it and it has been dehighlighted.

UH OH...............

Ted Jay
08-31-2006, 6:53 AM
Anyone have any opinions on this company? The quality of their tools? I'm sure it's high quality but how does it compare to say LN?

I've looked at their stuff a few times over the last few months and their stuff looks VERY nice. Then I see their prices and HOLY PACHEEBIES!!!!!!!!!!! I quickly close the window so that I don't get charged just for looking at the tools. :D

But.......right now they are having a sale on their little adjustable mouth HP-5 Small Block Plane....$99. I use a small crappy little plane when I'm doing interior trim but I could throw both my dogs AND my 7' boa through the mouth it's so big. $99 doesn't seem too out-of-line for a super quality little plane like this IF they truly are high quality.

I apologize if I'm out-of-line by questioning them but I really know nothing about them.....except that they cost a butt load of money. :D

Thanks very much for your advice.

This is the only tool I have from Bridge City Tools, very nice quality.
Ted

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
08-31-2006, 6:58 AM
Ooooh. Shiny. Pretty.

Rich Stevens
08-31-2006, 5:43 PM
Dug,

Mike Henderson might have one of these planes for sale - he just received his and has changed his mind about it. Give him a try

R