PDA

View Full Version : new product line

Kevin Z. Johnson
08-23-2006, 4:00 PM
I have been watching and learning for a while, thank.
this is my first time asking a question and hopefully more to come.

I own a shop that does only industrial work, after reading and thinking through the posts I am looking at expanding into what a lot of you are doing, wood boxes, coasters, the list goes on and on. what my question is what would a good place to start. I am very focused on what I do now but if I can find a way to expand I'm open. I do woodworking on the side and thought that it may be a good fit, :confused:

any comments to help with an informed decision would be great

thanks,

Joe Pelonio
08-23-2006, 4:24 PM
Z,

Go to all the craft shows in your area, especially around the holidays, and see what people are doing. Hang around and see what's selling and what's not. Here at the Tacoma Dome Christmas show last year there were several laser craft booths, plus others that sold similar scroll saw items,
in fact one had a sign that said "hand made, not laser". Some of the items
including boxes, and tiles can be sold wholesale to gift shops, and if you advertise and have samples you can get jobs doing custom gifts. One of my best customers wholesale to a company that does advertising specialties.

Mitchell Andrus
08-23-2006, 4:46 PM
Either find a need and fill it, or, create a need and fill it. Sharpen your elbows, it's crowded out there.

Mitch

John Esberg
08-23-2006, 4:57 PM
My advice is you create a few items and show them around. Go with products that people want to buy quickly. In that I mean go for items that have a buy by every 4 or 5 people who see it.

Also, you don't need to buy a machine right off the bat. Farm out the work to some people before drop $10k or more. You don't have to own a machine to make a profit.

Till later,

DAK

Kevin Z. Johnson
08-23-2006, 8:57 PM
thank's all
you have confurmed what I was thinking.
this could be a great thing to develop for our engravers down time.

Z.