PDA

View Full Version : A Boring Machine - Yaaaawn!

Ian Gillis
08-23-2006, 3:36 PM
I'm sure a lot of you have seen one of these, but I'll bet there are a few who haven't. This kind of unit was used to bore mortises in timber frame construction. I get sore shoulders just thinking about using this thing!

This one looks pretty rough, but I plan to revive it by replacing all the wooden bits and giving the iron an electrolytic bath. The lead screw on the bit looks good, so I expect it will restore to like new condition.

Bruce Page
08-23-2006, 4:16 PM
Cool machine! I haven't seen one before - thanks!

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 4:24 PM
That is very cool. May I ask.........

So, this tool would center the bit on the workpiece. Then the carpenter would bore multiple holes and then chisel out the rest? Or am I just not understanding the old timey mortise?

(Is my boneheadedness showing again?):D :D :D

Ian Gillis
08-23-2006, 4:39 PM
Hi

It's not like I've ever used one of these things, but what you said is essentially it. The only thing that's not really apparent is that you can shift the pinion gear that's attached to the handles to one side, wind in the opposite direction, and the machine will pull the bit out of the mortise. This is important as the bit could become really jammed with all the chips churning around it.

And, yes, the mortise would be squared up with a timber framing chisel once the boring was finished.

IG

Mark Rios
08-23-2006, 5:02 PM
VERY cool, thanks.

Looking forward to seeing your work on it and when it's done.

harry strasil
08-23-2006, 5:26 PM
My beam borer is adjustable to different angles and will almost fold flat. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38901&highlight=iron

Wiktor Kuc
08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I would love to see your restoration approach and the whole process of going about it in pictures. I would be a great story.