PDA

View Full Version : my drunken fish

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 2:24 PM
OK, he isn't drunk. But he can't stand on his tail. ;)
I tried making some of those novelty balancing wine holders that seem to defy gravity. I used a fish pattern from some magazine. The design is something less than rocket science. But, maybe it is rocket science. The 'bleeping' thing won't stand. I have tried empy and full wine bottles.
Wassup? Or, rather wassnotup? Help or words of sympathy appreciated.

Vaughn McMillan
08-23-2006, 2:31 PM
Got any pics? Might help us to debug the fish problem. ;)

- Vaughn

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 2:59 PM
Got any pics? Might help us to debug the fish problem. ;)

- Vaughn

Took one. Like I said, ain't rocket science. It is 12" long, 1/2" thick, hole is 1 1/4" dia., made of ash. Back side of tail is cut about 3/4" at 45 degree angle. I obviously haven't carved, finish sanded or finished yet. Made three as gifts. Might end up in scrap pile.

Kyle Kraft
08-23-2006, 3:06 PM
Frank,

I saw the same thing in some magazine just last night and I couldn't see how it would work. There was a picture showing the thing standing there plain as day.

I just hope this thread doesn't go political on us.:D :D

Dell Littlefield
08-23-2006, 3:15 PM
I have one of those made from a straight piece of wood. This one length overall is about 10 1/4 inches by two inches wide. The bottom of the hole is 6 inches above the base and also goes through the wood at the same 45 degree angle as the base. It tapers from 3/4 inch thick at the base to 1/2 inch thick at the top. I can't tell from your photo if your hole is at an angle but if not, that may be a clue. Also, although I don't think the taper is significant, it may be.

Bill White
08-23-2006, 3:43 PM
Then you'll have a "smart" fish.
Bill

Ken Salisbury
08-23-2006, 4:51 PM
years ago I made a lot of them - not that partucular design, but same concept. The hole must be drilled at the same angle as the bottom surface is cut. I don't remember the actual angle (something like 30-35 degrees I think. Try using some scrap to get the angle right.

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 5:29 PM
years ago I made a lot of them - not that partucular design, but same concept. The hole must be drilled at the same angle as the bottom surface is cut. I don't remember the actual angle (something like 30-35 degrees I think. Try using some scrap to get the angle right.

Thanks. I don't remember the size of the hole the instructions (lost) said to use. Mine is 1 1/4" with edges rounded. Maybe a bigger hole would give the angle necessary.

Roy Hatch
08-23-2006, 5:59 PM
Frank,
I can't see that you have a flat angled base for your fish to stand on? And the hole appears to be drilled through at 90 degrees? Take at look at this one for some ideas as to how to modify your fish.
Roy

Frank Fusco
08-23-2006, 7:46 PM
Frank,
I can't see that you have a flat angled base for your fish to stand on? And the hole appears to be drilled through at 90 degrees? Take at look at this one for some ideas as to how to modify your fish.
Roy

The base (tail) is angled. The holes (confession) are at 90 degrees. I misplaced the plans and worked from a CRS memory. I'll try enlarging the hole to allow the bottle to rest at an angle. Otherwise, start over time.

Aaron Beaver
08-24-2006, 7:23 AM
The base (tail) is angled. The holes (confession) are at 90 degrees. I misplaced the plans and worked from a CRS memory. I'll try enlarging the hole to allow the bottle to rest at an angle. Otherwise, start over time.

I think I have that plan in a book or mag at home. I will look and see if I can find it and let you know what it says about the hole.

Frank Fusco
08-24-2006, 9:56 AM
I think I have that plan in a book or mag at home. I will look and see if I can find it and let you know what it says about the hole.

Thanks, appreciate it. These might be neat gift items.

Ralph Barhorst
08-24-2006, 11:46 AM
The center of gravity of the bottle, whether full or empty, must be directly above the base of your fish in order for this to work.

If the top of the bottle wants to tip down, then you need to make the fish a little shorter. If the bottom of the bottle wants to tip down, then make the fish a little longer.

Adjusting the angle of the hole will also move the center of gravity.

The center of gravity can be found by balancing the bottle on the edge of a 1/2" wide piece of board.

Stephen McClaren
08-25-2006, 3:47 AM
if the angled hole does not do the trick, the problem might be that you were trying to use red wine with the fish, and they just don't go together :D.

Norman Hitt
08-26-2006, 3:49 AM
Frank, besides getting the CG correct, from the ones I've seen, I think you are going to need more than a 3/4" bevel surface at the tail to contact the table for it to be anywhere near stable. Just look at the one pictured in the post above. It can be done with a very small contact point at the base, but the smaller the contact point, the more exact the CG must be, AND the slightest bump, or vibration would cause the bottle to come crashing down.

Aaron Beaver
08-26-2006, 10:03 PM
I finally find it Frank. The hole is a 1 1/2" hole with a 3/16" chamfer on both sides. The hole is not angled when drilled. They made it out of 3/4" thick material which when cut at 45 would make a little over a 1" base for it to set on, if my calcc was right.