PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment Center is complete

Joe Breid
10-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I just completed this project today and took these pictures before I moved it to the back of the shop and put a tarp over it to protect it from dust. It is for my son who lives in Tennessee. I will probably be making the trip down there around Christmas and will take it to him at that time.

It is constructed of oak plywood with oak frame, doors and drawer fronts. I finished with Sherwin Williams Red Mahogany stain and sprayed on three coats of SW poly/varnish.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Lloyd Robins
10-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Very nice! A great Christmas gift! If your son changes his mind, ship it on over to me, I love it. Thanks for adding the finish information. I will try Sherwin Williams for the Red Mahogany stain.

Byron Trantham
10-05-2003, 6:21 AM
Really looks great. Nice attention to details, power cord, dividers in the drawers and I love pocket doors.

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-05-2003, 7:30 AM
Very nice...details make the difference. :)

I've never been a fan of poly...but that looks quite good. Is it a specific sheen?

KC

Kevin Gerstenecker
10-05-2003, 8:09 AM
Very nice work Joe. The design and detail really "make" the piece. The fit and finish looks great. Now, thats what I call a nice Christmas Present! I am sure that will become an heirloom. Thanks for sharing your work, and welcome to the Creek! ;)

Jim Baker
10-05-2003, 8:19 AM
It is for my son who lives in Tennessee. I will probably be making the trip down there around Christmas and will take it to him at that time.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Your son must have been a very good boy this year.

The entertainment center looks beautiful. Does he know anything about it or is it to be a complete surprise?

Welcome to Sawmill Creek and thanks for showing the pictures.

Ted Shrader
10-05-2003, 9:58 AM
I just completed this project today. . . . . It is for my son who lives in Tennessee. I will probably be making the trip down there around Christmas and will take it to him at that time.

Joe -

Great job! What a nice Christmas present. I like the dividers in the drawers. Good idea ti help keep all the DVDs sorted.

What did you use for the door hardware? Was it hard to install/align? Have heard horror stories about some types of sliding door hardware.

Ted

Jim Becker
10-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Joe, great job on this project! Outstanding gift, too. Like Ted, I also like the DVD storage drawers.

Phil Phelps
10-05-2003, 11:48 AM
... another spoiled kid :D And delivery too :rolleyes: He'll be one happy boy come Christmas. Good job.

Todd Burch
10-05-2003, 3:13 PM
Hey Joe - that looks great! It looks heavy - my back hurts just thinking about moving that!

What mechanism did you use for the pocket doors?

What are your drawer boxes made out of? Looks like solid wood - poplar perhaps?

Todd.

Joe Breid
10-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the comments,

Kirk:
The finish is SW Fast Dry Oil Varnish with a satin sheen.

Jim:
Yes, my son does know about this. I hate to admit it but this is actually last years gift. (someday I will get caught up!!)

Ted-Todd:
The sliding door hardware is Knape & Vogt model 8085 which is designed for extra thick doors. (15/16" on these doors) The hardware is not difficult to mount and if it is off slightly there are "three way" adjustments on each hinge. The slides come with instructions that are well written and easy to follow.
I first bored the holes for the hinges in the door and mounted the slides to the door. I then measured the distance from the bottom of the door to each slide and added 1/8" for the gap at the bottom of the door. I then cut blocks to these dimensions and used them to support the slides as I mounted them to the sides.

Todd:
The drawer sides are made out of 3/4" baltic birch and the dividers are 3/8" birch plywood. I actually had planned to make the sides out of 1/2" baltic birch but I grabbed the wrong sheet and did not notice it until I had all the sides cut and was cutting the dividers. To compensate I cut the dados a little deeper and reduced the size of the pockets slightly.

In looking at my post tonoght I notice that I made everyone put their monitor on its side to view these properly. I had rotated these pictures in the camera before downloading to the computer. Thay looked fine on the computer and only ended up sideways on the post.
Any suggestions on what to do different next time other than not to take sideways pictures?

Joe

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-06-2003, 7:37 AM
Joe...I know SW sells a catalyzed varnish that dries almost as fast as lacquer...is that the stuff?

KC