PDA

View Full Version : Griz or York 20" planer?

brett widenhouse
08-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi,
Looking for opinions on the Griz G0454 20" planer vs. the York
YC-20P 20" planer.
York is about 100.00 more including delivery but they deliver it to my house and put it on the ground. Not sure about the Griz deliver services.
thanks for any help,
brett w

Dave Harker
08-23-2006, 3:27 PM
No comment on planers, no knowledge, but have Grizzly delivery comments - it went really well:

My grizzly 8" jointer and cabinet saw were delivered (same load) by Saia Freight. Grizzly would not promise liftgate, but told me I could arrange it with the shipper. They told me name & number of shipper (Saia). Prior to placing order with Grizzly, I contacted Saia and was told that after I placed my order with Grizzly, they could promise a liftgate. They needed the actual shipping numbers (bill of lading?) prior to actually arranging the liftgate delivery.

So, after ordering via Grizzly, I contacted Saia (again) with the tracking/shipping numbers. Their driver used the liftgate and a dolly to place the huge boxes precisely where I wanted them in my shop. He even refused my tip, initially. It was a pleasure dealing with this freight company. In general, the whole experience went well, and the system described above makes sense, grizzly doesn't make the delivery, so has to defer to the shipping company on that.

Some of this is described, along with pictures, on my web page about the delivery and setup of these two large tools, linked below.

I live in Minnesota, don't know who Grizzly uses elsewhere.

http://webpages.charter.net/harkerhome/WWShop/grizzly2004tools.html

Good luck,
Dave

Al Willits
08-23-2006, 3:59 PM
Another Minnesotian...:)

I went with York, and there was no trouble with delivery, guy showed up with a lift gate and pallet jack and with little help from me, rolled both up my driveway and dropper..er..put them where I wanted.
He took the tip too...:)

I wasn't to impressed with the yorks method of alining the top to the table, but they're suppose to be level from the factory.
The instructions say to level top to bottom, should have said just from side to side, not front to back.

Both the York 8" jointer and the 125" planer I have are working quite well now, glad I bought them.

What part of Minn ya from Dave??

Al

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-23-2006, 4:07 PM
Bearings are very important in jointers. There are various grades of bearings that a maker might use. Why not call the makers and ask some questions about the bearings what grade are they && what manufacturer and hey ask about the motor too.
One question any one might have about a motor is "what is the actual percentage of constant output."

Little details like that can pile up making one or the other a clear winner.

JayStPeter
08-23-2006, 4:19 PM
I'm guessing that they're probably the same basic planer. Shopping on as-delivered price probably isn't a bad idea.
I think the consensus on Grizzly delivery is that it depends on where you live and maybe even which driver you get. My personal experience with them is good. I haven't heard any bad stories about Wilke (no personal experience with them).

Jay